Star Trek on deviantART

13 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:52 AM

DeviantART has always been a mish-mash of very amateurish stuff and drool-worthy masterpieces done by professionals or those who can produce professional level work. I've been coming across more and more of the latter recently so I thought I would bring some of it to your attention.

Trance-Master (deviantART homepage) for example is a graphic/digital artist and Aviation photographer/enthusiast from Wimbledon in London and has posted the most amazing collection of detailed technical illustrations of Star Trek I've seen in done by a single artist (not employed by CBS/Paramount)

Currently I am on several projects at the moment, firstly the Star Trek Starship Encylopedia, which is taking forever, the object was/is to cover most of the types in the canon Trek universe. Also I am also completing any request work especially for LeonaWriter - the Star Wars charts etc, Lord-Nalthren's Starfleet-Command group, Msgt Frank's UDI-blood-camo group, and Ccarcia3's The Narada Crew group. I have a couple of requests to do as well which are slowly coming to shape.

Lastly I'm slowly posting up my digital photograh collection, Currently I am concentrating on London-Gatwick Airport, a new collection from London-Heathrow, Brooklands Museum and Biggin Hill International Air Fair 2007. I recently deleted my entire Heathrow landing shots, but these will be put back up shortly.

Star Trek - Comparison Charts

Posted Image

Star Trek - Key Location Cutaways

Posted Image

Star Trek - Master Systems Displays

Posted Image

Star Trek - Orthographic Animations

Posted Image

Star Trek - Vessel Databases

Posted Image

Star Trek-AR - Comparison Charts

Posted Image

Star Trek-AR - Vessel Sideviews

Posted Image

Starfleet-Command - Comparison Charts

Posted Image

Starfleet-Command - Orthographic Animations

Posted Image

Starfleet-Command - Class Databases

Posted Image

Starfleet-Command - USS Phoenix Databases

Posted Image

UDI-Blood-Camo - Comparison Charts

Posted Image

UDI-Blood-Camo - Small Ship Sideviews

Posted Image

UDI-Blood-Camo - Starship Sideviews

Posted Image

Follow the links, leave comments and tell him how flamin' awesome his work is!!!

Kirok of L'Stok

PS: He is also a DJ - check out his YouTube page!

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

Amazing work! Wish the "buy this print" were larger. 4x8 and 3x5 don't do the art justice.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#3 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:47 AM

Amazing work! Wish the "buy this print" were larger. 4x8 and 3x5 don't do the art justice.

Especially those comparison charts! They'd make a great wall poster. What intrigues me is that most of them are labeled as being part of what he calls at one point, "my Star Trek: Starship Encylopedia" from which I assume that it is a personal project. If it includes the non-canon and little known ships - like the Declaration Class which is the class that the USS Enterprise XCV 330 belonged to, that will be an amazing production! It'd make a great "coffee table" art book! [sigh] Sadly, I doubt if a printer would ever produce one though, even if you only ordered one for personal use from a Print On Demand firm.

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#4 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

Oh My Stars and Garters! Just found this "news article" on DevArt that short-cuts you to a plethora (heh) of fan art, particularly some amazing portraits! These are a few as thumbnails - visit the artist and send them some encouragement!

Posted Image
Picard - Locutus of Borg by J-Redd

Posted Image

Kate Mulgrew as Janeway by MadameManga

Posted Image

Be Human by RocketShoes

Skill, talent, wit and whimsy!

K

Posted Image

#5 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:04 AM

Another quick post for this weekend. There are a few artists who do graphics for the fan fiction series that they contribute to, in many cases their own work. Star Trek: Defiance Alliance features the work of two young ladies...

Posted Image

keyoma09

Posted Image

Frenchie1941

They even have a YouTube video teaser online...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDU_lmB8zlU"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MDU_lmB8zlU[/url]

Great work!

K

Posted Image

#6 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:55 PM

This thread ius looking a little tired so I thought I'd update it with a long-time favourite from DevArt, Sean Tourangeau, a Graphic Designer/Illustrator from Colorado Springs, CO, who you might know from winning Simon & Schuster's Titan Design contest in 2005. He's done a whole range of illustrations that suggest he pitched a Mirror Universe graphic novel to S&S at one point...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Click on the images to see them full sized on DevianArt, or browse Sean's profile and gallery. For the perfect birthday present, he also does commissions!

Cheers

K

Posted Image

#7 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:13 AM

Not all the work on DeviantArt is sketches and pen & ink.

Chris Hoffman is from Texas and has done absolutely stunning portraits in a wide variety of traditional media: black and white charcoal pencils on gray paper, pastels on velour, prismacolor on bristol. His subjects range from musicians to movie themes and his gallery is, well I'm cranky because I've just spent probably the last thirty minutes browsing it when I should be writing! I love his choice of subjects and what he has done with them! Unfortunately he has had a bad experience with some of his work being used without him getting credit recently so instead of just picking one or two of his images, this is a montage that I made up of smaller scale versions of some of his work - you can view larger scale versions of them in his gallery.

Posted Image

Drop by and comment, guys, talent like this deserves to be encouraged!

K

Posted Image

#8 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:38 AM

Continuing with the theme that DeviantArt is not just about drawing and painting, this is one of my most favourite fan-made photographs of all time, Star Trek - Redshirt Triptych by ~Chonastock...

Posted Image

>le sigh< :wub:

This stunning visual is made from photos taken of, and by, two young Australian uni students at Brisbane's Mt Cootha Botanical Gardens: great costumes, makeup, photography and imaginatively posed! The first fifty were done in late '07 when they posed as Federation and Vulcan Redshirts, this was followed in 2008 when they posed as a human and Andorian to return for a third year with over a dozen shots of their Andorian character in a convincing, traditional Andorian outfit.

Checkout their gallery where they have a range of stock photos ranging from the golden age of Greece to Lord of The Rings, Amazons in Woad, Barbarella and a post apocalyptic outback! The graphics are offered on DeviantArt under a Creative Commons licence so that, in their own words, "Feel free to use them as you see fit - you don't need to ask our permission - just credit and send us a link of the final product! ...regarding commercial use - if you're planning to make profit from your work please let us know first - as long as you haven't just put one of our photos through a filter, we won't have a problem with it."

Of course if there is something specific you would like to see them shoot, they are open to suggestions - given their TOS interest, I'd suggest a Mirror Universe shoot! - and they welcome donations to fund their costuming, props etc. If you have a specific commission they are up for the challenge!

Ah! Beauty and talent! If She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed did not have my heart in her pocket I'd offer it to you! ^_^

K

Posted Image

#9 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

Getting even further away from graphic arts, creativity can be seen in crafts as well as arts...

Posted Image

In the words of the tricorder handbag's creator, kryz-flavored...

why? because my TOS science officer costume didn't have any pockets. Yay for funtional fanart! Posted Image
I was really surprised I didn't see any of these [at the Vegas convention she attended]...and that the reaction was so strong; apparently, no one else had, either.
my goodness, people at the con loved this thing! blah--the white is silver...the flash just killed it.
[and sorry for all that pink Posted Image]

If you browse back through her gallery, you'll find some great Trek artwork amongst her older "deviations"
Sculpture, poetry, photography... there's some inspiring ideas here!

Cheers

K

Posted Image

#10 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:39 AM

...continuing our exploration of non-graphic arts, let me introduce you to Mylochka! She is proof that Deviant Art has its share of established Trek fan artists. From her profile...

I've been out of "mainstream" for several years now -- Things came up. Career. Life. You know. We lost track of each other. Maybe you assumed, like I did, that we were just both out there on the web, waiting to find each other again.

When I came looking, though. You were gone.

I take that back. You're never completely gone. Of course the corporate crap was still there. It didn't take long after that to find the nitpickers, the K/Sers, the boys who like to draw ships, and the boys who like to draw girls with big boobs (who are often the same boys). But I couldn't find what I'd always thought of as the "real" you -- the rank and file fans, the fun, goofy folks who might make or buy a Mr. Spock Head decanter.

I was beginning to think you might have died.

But here you are -- as vibrant, obsessive, playful, and vivacious as ever!

I feel like it's 1979 and I've just discovered the strange thing they call "fanzines"...

Let's fall in love again.

Yes, fanzines are still around, believe it or not, although the publishing media has changed with the times, just as the world of Computer Generated Images which Myloka inhabits. Myloka's art has been inextricably linked with Trek fan fiction over the years, most closely with the Valjiir Continuum, which is in itself a fascinating find! Myloksa's work is incredibly diverse and just as a sampler Here are some portraits of Nyota Uhura. M's works are imaginative and original and should be celebrated as such, but even the most died-in-the-wool-Trek-canonneer will love these [Click to go to the full-sized originals]...

Posted Image Uhura at the Comm Posted Image Uhura Sings ...and from the Mirror Universe... Posted Image Co-Conspirators

Myloka has illustrated Uhura in a number of guises though, most of them showing how she is no pushover! How about...

Posted Image Bounty Hunter Uhura Posted Image Legends Spock Uhura ...and her recent... Posted Image Uhura Goes Undercover 03

... and my personal favourite, Nouveau Uhura which Myloks describes as "an homage to one of my favorite artists, Alphonse Mucha."

Posted Image

As always, visit her Gallery and comment freely.

Cheers

K

Posted Image

#11 SECTI0N31

SECTI0N31

3rd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:29 AM

I have recently started posting some of my work on DeviantArt. Its mostly props that I use for animating on GoAnimate. However I made my first totally original animation made on my pc and posted it recently BATTLE OF WOLF 359 Posted Image

THOLIA Posted Image

Nu EnterprisePosted Image
Check out the awesome trailer for Ztar Trek: The Next Constipation HERE
Posted Image

#12 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

As if she read my mind, Mylochka has just posted a reply to a comment on her profile that explains how she works...

In most of the pictures here, I'm using PoserWorld's Space Fleet Officer uniform for DAZ's Victoria 3 and Micheal 3 figures with original textures. [link]

However, a modeler called JamesJAB recently made a excellent set of TOS Uniform textures for DAZ's Valiant for Micheal 4 [link] Courageous for Victoria 4 [link] This puts a much more detailed and accurate texture on a better fitting model with more movement morphs. Since I'm still using M3 and V3, I used PhilC's Wardrobe Wizard program [link]
to convert the clothing models from M4 an V4.

For a fairly extensive and up to date list of the Trek freebies available for Poser and DAZ Studio look here [link] You can also find a lot of good information on Trek models (almost all of them free) here [link]

Hope this helps! Happy Rendering!

Hmmm, a lot to assimilate there but if I get it right, she is working in a program called DAZ Studio which according to the WikiArticle "is designed to allow users to manipulate "ready to use" models and figures. It is aimed at users who are interested in posing human and non-human figures for illustrations and animation, but who do not wish to incur the expense of, or who may be daunted by higher-end 3D and CAD software."

Enough here in fact for a whole thread on animation! I'll have a toddle around the threads and get back to you! Here's another one of her works, just for fun!

Posted Image

Star Fleet Ad 01
This is one of my Star Fleet Advertising posters that I use to dress up the backgrounds of illustrations that take place on starbases and Federation planets.

The silver colored lady is from Epsilon Indii -- an important race in the Valjiir fanfic universe. [link]

K

Posted Image

#13 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 07:48 PM

I have recently started posting some of my work on DeviantArt. Its mostly props that I use for animating on GoAnimate. However I made my first totally original animation made on my pc and posted it recently...

That's great work, SECTION31, I never realised that you could create stuff that could be used on GoAnimate - that really opens it up for original work! I've opened a special thread on the animation section to try to tempt you tell us more...

:innocent: ... please?

K

Posted Image

#14 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:25 AM

Sometimes, the artists who put their works up for us all to enjoy on DeviantArt give us interesting peeks into their lives.

PrinceHamlette [Profile / Gallery] is a young European artist who, over little more than a month, has posted some of the most amazing digital art. From his journal entries he tells us how he is in his first weeks at university and initially wanted to get into animation after watching JJ Abrams movie. His interest in cinematography (I assume it is a guy) is aparant in the stylish and evocative outfits that he has created to people his original interpretation of the Mirror Universe using the current movie cast. Even more interesting for me as a some-time producer are the storyboards he has created where we see his costumes in action. I love his expressive and spontaneous use of line and the moody, almost gothic, horror of these snapshots of an imaginary movie.

Posted Image

Like many young people in the hotbed of tertiary education, he has questioned his future and, whilst I applaud his good sense in wanting to create a life-plan, my advice would be not to think of the future as a series of rooms in a house he is building but to see it as the unknown country to be explored by an unimaginably complex web of roads. With talent like yours my friend success will seek you out - you just need to recognise the right opportunity and seize it when it comes along! Cherish even your mistakes for they too will shape the person you will become.

I am absolutely in love with these new designs and they are terrible fun to draw. Does anyone have any ideas they want to see mirrorverse style? If so type it into the comments you leave and I will draw it...

I am quite enjoying my new lease on art. I can cater to the side of me that wants to draw dark, macabre, hideous and cruel and combine it with my fathomless love for Star Trek. But on the other side of the coin I can draw happiness and sunshine and love and lovers in a french cafe.

Two sides to the same person. I have never felt so good and right and contented when drawing before.

Inspiring stuff! Please visit his gallery and leave comments of support for his work!

K

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users