Let's Talk About Video Games!

551 replies to this topic

#1 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

This thread is mostly for Apocalypse and I, since we have nowhere to talk about these things, but anyone can talk about video games in here. This thread will henceforth serve as the random video game discussion thread, not limited to any video game or any system.

So, how 'bout that Steam?

Also I wish to discuss with Brett the Dear Esther remake. It certainly has my vote for best artwork in any Source game ever.
Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:29 PM

Yeah. It looks bleak. I don't know, I wouldn't have played it.
And also, why would I even care about Steam for the Mac?

As far as recent video games go, I've been completely obsessed with Mass Effect 2. Which you need to get, Plaz. Currently on my third play through, making another good guy. This game perfected the original formula beyond belief. Also, the final mission is... amazing, for lack of a more concise word, and also the beginning was one of the best game openings I've ever played. I think you had to have played the original to get the full impact of it, though.

As for games I'm looking forward to: Splinter. Phloxing. Cell. Hell yes. I are excited for this. Co-op looks fun, too. I hope it's really great, because Double Agent was kind of a disappointment. Everyone knows Chaos Theory was the peak of the franchise.

Also, I'm dicking around in the demo for Just Cause 2, which I downloaded off of Steam on a whim. It's one of those ridiculous action games like Mercenaries where you go blow the phlox out of everything and look ridiculously cool while doing it. I've given it the nickname Just 'Cause (as in "Just Because"), simply because there really is no reason for the gratuitous awesome spouting from this game. I don't think it merits a buy, but screwing around in the timed demo was fun for a few days, and the sheer scope of the game is amazing. Sad that I only had the small (read: relatively incredibly large) demo starting area to play around in. I dunno, maybe if some surprise money trickles in I might co-buy it with Melvin if he wants to... I think he enjoys it more than I do.
Also it should be noted that the initials for this game are JC2. Second video game coming?

Edited by Apocalypse, 09 March 2010 - 01:29 PM.

Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#3 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:45 PM

I never download Steam's free demos. They tend to be the kind of game I wouldn't like anyway, and beyond that they're usually formulaic, low-budget throwaways.

The second coming of video games? I thought we had agreed that this would be HL2 Episode 3.
Posted Image

#4 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

I have played approximately four demos from Steam. One of them was the demo for my "best game of 2009." So, "formulaic, low-budget throwaway" my ass. You can't talk about the Batman that way.
And the other two were for Left 4 Dead and it's sequel, and were similarly awesome.

Which demos do you download? Because you're obviously not doing it right.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#5 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:10 AM

You and I both know that usually those demos are from desperate developers wanting you to play a game you have never of.
Posted Image

#6 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:37 AM

There's nothing wrong with marketing a lesser-known game. It might even turn out to surprise you. Demos are for the sole purpose of trying out a game before you play it... if you don't like the demo, you don't have to buy. But if you do like the demo, and you otherwise would have never heard of the game? Well then, mission accomplished.

Also I was thinking about looking into that mod you posted pics of.
-The Tick

#7 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

I've been pondering purchasing Bad Company 2. I remember with fondness my days in the BF2 multiplayer. Hmmm... ponder ponder ponder.
-The Tick

#8 fastillion

fastillion

Give, Support, Do. Your actions leave a better tomorrow.

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

I play video games sometimes.

#9 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:53 PM

How's that ST:O goin', Nate? Getting tired of it yet?
-The Tick

#10 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

There's nothing wrong with marketing a lesser-known game. It might even turn out to surprise you. Demos are for the sole purpose of trying out a game before you play it... if you don't like the demo, you don't have to buy. But if you do like the demo, and you otherwise would have never heard of the game? Well then, mission accomplished.

Also I was thinking about looking into that mod you posted pics of.

I suppose you have a point. I've just never tried one of the free demos. Maybe I should...

And the mod is Dear Esther, which got released by a team of experimental modders a while back. Those pics are from the remake that some professional game artist is doing of the game, but that isn't out yet. I haven't played the original, but since it's very story-heavy, I don't want to spoil. I'm going to wait for the pretty version to come out so I can get the full experience. From what I hear, even the old one is good to the point of being noteworthy, so I'm excited for the remake to come out.

I've been pondering purchasing Bad Company 2. I remember with fondness my days in the BF2 multiplayer. Hmmm... ponder ponder ponder.

Never played a Bad Company game. Good?
Posted Image

#11 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

Never played a Bad Company game. Good?

I've never played a Bad Company game either. But Battlefield is one of the most popular multiplayer shooters ever, and after playing Battlefield 2 for way too many hours, I can definitely see why. I think I prefer the CoD multiplayer, but I'm still boycotting MW2, seeing as how the price is still 60 bucks. After already playing the single player, I'm not even sure if it would warrant a purchase at 40. It sort of feels like I could whip out the original MW and play that and not miss a whole lot.

But, from what I've heard, BC2 is Battlefield with prettier graphics and destructible environments, and that sounds like a whole lot of fun. Still haven't come to the conclusion of whether or not I want to buy it though. :argh:
What's going to happen is I'm just going to suddenly decide to get it, or remain indecisive forever.
-The Tick

#12 fastillion

fastillion

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 09:59 AM

Actually I haven't been able to play for almost a month. Internet was down, member?
I plan on renewing my subscription and playing Corkely again in a couple of weeks.

#13 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

http://lewisdenby.wo...messex-analogy/
Posted Image

#14 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:35 PM

It's time to talk about Left 4 Dead 2. The fact that it takes place in the Deep South is enough to sell me on the whole game, and improvements to graphics and gameplay are just icing on the cake. Thoughts so far, Brett?
Posted Image

#15 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

I miss the northern-ness.

I feel no need to expound on the setting or plot until I complete the game. As far as characters go, I do miss some of the old ones, but I have to say, similarly to the original, you will not hate any of them.

Gameplay and graphics-wise, much improved. The zombie gore is top-notch.
-The Tick

#16 fastillion

fastillion

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:10 PM

but I have to say, similarly to the original, you will not hate any of them.

One word: Francis.

#17 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:13 PM

I thought the gore was very pretty.

And as for characters, they fulfill the exact same archetypes (or stereotypes, depending on how you look at them). There's the Expert/Leader, the Outlaw, the Endearing Working Man, and the Woman.
Posted Image

#18 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:21 PM

One word: Francis.

You only hate him because he was always the bot.

I thought the gore was very pretty.

And how. So very pretty. It's pretty much the best gore ever.

And as for characters, they fulfill the exact same archetypes (or stereotypes, depending on how you look at them). There's the Expert/Leader, the Outlaw, the Endearing Working Man, and the Woman.

Nice. Except I would say Older Leader. Coach isn't really an expert at anything.
Also, I loled at "the Woman."
-The Tick

#19 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:40 PM

You only hate him because he was always the bot.

And how. So very pretty. It's pretty much the best gore ever.

Nice. Except I would say Older Leader. Coach isn't really an expert at anything.
Also, I loled at "the Woman."

I figured. :P

Also, on his bio, it says that coaching the Freshman football team gave him the know how to lead his comrades through dangerous situations to safety, or something kind of like that. He's supposed to be a fatherly and knowledgeable leader.

And as for the Woman thing, every one of the characters has character points, except for Zoey and Rochelle, whose only traits are "breasts," and in Rochelle's case, "black and breasts." Wanting to buy some character development.
Posted Image

#20 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:51 PM

Also, on his bio, it says that coaching the Freshman football team gave him the know how to lead his comrades through dangerous situations to safety, or something kind of like that. He's supposed to be a fatherly and knowledgeable leader.

And as for the Woman thing, every one of the characters has character points, except for Zoey and Rochelle, whose only traits are "breasts," and in Rochelle's case, "black and breasts." Wanting to buy some character development.

Yes but that hardly makes him an expert. I say "Older Leader."

Not true. Both are legitimate characters, they are just also the only women in their group so i found it humorous that you classified their gender as an archetype. I defy you to match their characters in any other way.
-The Tick

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users