Data

11 replies to this topic

#1 StarTrekFan01

StarTrekFan01

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:33 AM

On another topic, we got talking about Data (specifically, his relationship with Spot). It caused me to ponder why an android would have a pet cat in the first place, since he is incapable of any real affection. I think it's the same reason he plays music and paints. He doesn't really enjoy these things, but he does them because they are things that people do. He thinks that the best way to become a person is by acting as much like one as possible. This is one of the things that makes Data fascinating to me.

Of course, feel free to jump in with any thoughts you have about Data.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,495 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

I agree with you, he's exploring his, for want of a better name, humanity. To understand humans better, he does human things, including indulging in a sexual relationship with Tasha.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#3 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

When the sexual relationship happened with Data and Tasha, they both had polywater intoxication.
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#4 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,631 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

This is my favorite personage, becouse he how Spock: logick and vere intellectual. In 2378 year he dead on starship Sximitar, but Data safe life crew starship "Enterprise" and captain Picard. Give personal teleported captain, he shoot in talaron field from phaser. Federation planets will be safe. Great "Star Trek" personage, but this on my think.

Edited by Martok, 16 February 2010 - 01:48 PM.

#5 Baconnaise

Baconnaise

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:27 PM

Data was the most interesting character on TNG I have to agree.
Because Every Meal Should Taste Like Bacon

#6 tesral

tesral

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 12:39 AM

I very much like Data.

Milestones

Admiral Picard read the memo from Starbase 600. Captain Gensilan had been promoted to Rear Admiral and placed in direct command of Starbase 600. He sipped his tea and smiled. This would turn more than a few heads among his more staid peers. Gensilan was after all an "artificial" lifeform.

The door swished open and Commander Data entered his office. "Admiral, the errors in the system have been corrected. I have personally verified all data against known parameters."

Picard nodded. "Thank you Data." He looked at his old friend. "I don't think that you are thanked enough for the extraordinary efforts you place into your work Data."

Data cocked his head in the peculiar way that he had. "I do not understand why this should be necessary, Sir. I serve as I am able."

"Have you no personal ambitions Data?"

"Yes Sir, I pursue them as time allows."

Picard looked at Data standing in front of his desk. "Please Data, sit down." Once he had Picard indicated the memo. "I had hopes that one day you would be the first artificial lifeform to make flag rank, Data. I am afraid Gensilan has beaten you to it."

Data read the memo over. "This does not displease me Admiral. While I have ambitions, I have no ambition to lead."

"You do not want your own command?"

Data shook his head. "No sir. I find the idea of sending life forms to their possible death by my orders disquieting. I am satisfied with my place as your aide."

"What will you do when I retire?"

"I have considered retiring myself and entering the Academic world. There is much knowledge to be discovered. I believe I could serve well in that endeavor."

"You are going to outlive all of us Data. Can you really retire?"

Data blinked. For a brief moment thoughts warred visibly across his face. A wooden expression finally fixed on his face. "I ... find that issue ... difficult to face Jean Luc. While I have never faltered in the face of any fact, I do not wish ... to think ... of losing my friends." He stopped for a moment. His face cleared to a more normal expression. "I have found a failing within myself."

"Then old friend, you have gained something far more valuable than rank."

"I do not understand."

Picard smiled softly. "You have become, Human."

Milestones -- Garry Stahl, July 2006

This is the result of the STB-600 game played by Jay and I. In describing Gensilan's reaction to her promotion, I thought of the reaction when that memo reached Earth, and two beloved characters.

Of all the TNG characters I have to say that Picard and Data speak to me the strongest. Theirs are the voices I can find and can speak through.

Garry AKA Phoenix -- Rising Above the FLames
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
Epiphany Trek

#7 Chief Cottingham

Chief Cottingham

Ensign

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

Data was an awesome character. I hated when he died. He was going to be first officer when Riker left to command the Titan.

#8 milatchi

milatchi

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

I always felt that Data and Picard in TNG had a similar chemistry to Kirk, Spock, and McCoy in TOS and the films, and in my opinion that's part of the reason why TNG was so successful. Where as I don't really recall this chemistry being present in DS9, VOY, or ENT.

#9 Allee

Allee

Just Another Member with Over 3000 Posts

• Members
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

Data was an awesome character. I hated when he died. He was going to be first officer when Riker left to command the Titan.

I loved Data Posted Image , but his death was acceptable to me. The point where he decides he is going to sacrifice himself is the point where he finally and truly becomes, or fully understands what it's like to be, human - as he had always aspired to be.
Help make Pauline America's Next Author! http://www.ebookmall...hor/pauline-mac

Posted Image

#10 Eris

Eris

Commander of Starfleet

• Members
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

Data is my favorite character in TNG, and since I luv cats meowself, they are purrfect pet animeows, then of course I like Data even more because he's got a cat, too!

#11 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:12 AM

Data is funny.When it comes to comforting people he is the worst! Always screw something up :roflmao:

#12 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

in my opinion Data was doing all those things to become more human which was something he strived for since we met him. and when he had sex with Tosha Yar i found myself very envious cause she is a hottie hubba hubba!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users