Avery Brooks

13 replies to this topic

#1 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

I've been watching a lot of DS9 lately, and I've noticed something with Avery Brooks' acting. I love it when he gets all worked up with the drama (such as "Far Beyond the Star" and "In the Pale Moonlight"), yet everytime he does, he's almost like William Shatner, with this pausing and a lot of breathing in between short phrases. It's somewhat anoying when I focused on it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's still far from bad enough to ruin the effect of the character, but I was wondering what anyone else thought? Good actor? Bad? Could have been better?

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

Could have been better, I think. He is by no means a bad actor, and he sure did a hell of a lot better than I'd ever do, and is damn good in a handful of episodes, but he does have a few cringe-worthy scenes.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#3 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:12 AM

He's far from bad, but he's not the best actor on Trek either. Sisko's such a deadpan character that it's hard to say where the acting comes in most of the time. The MU episodes are an exception though.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#4 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:07 PM

Even though DS9 is by far my favourite Trek, I will have to admit that I thought Sisko was the least impressive commander the first time I saw DS9. I found his acting to be somewhat mannered, although I wouldn't say that I thought he was like Shatner, but there was something almost pompous in his bearing that seemed to be overreaching his need to be a commanding presence.

On the other hand, when I watched all 7 seasons back-to-back, I found Sisko somewhat more impressive and began to like him as a leader more. I agree that one of Brooks' finest moments was indeed In The Pale Moonlight, I felt that Sisko as a character came of age in that epsiode, in the same way that I thought Kirk did in TWOK - at the point at which both captains had to realise that regardless of how straight down the line one has to be, life will bite you on the arse 'cos you made a big mistake that you didn't see coming and make you mad-crazy. Kirk lost it when he yelled "KHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!" having earlier been caught out by Khan, and Sisko lost it when he socked it to Garak when he realised that his best laid plan had an almighty flaw and that was his failure to understand that Garak was always a law unto himself. Brilliant.

#5 Breen2099

Breen2099

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

I think he is an amazing actor, of course when the show started the character was new and so it needed to be broken in, which I think he did a great job at. I think if you compare season 1 and 2 with 6 and 7 you can notice a big change.
Posted Image
Star Trek: The Animated Series Remastered (just kidding)

#6 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

As with all Star Trek, the acting gets better with time. Even Patrick Stewart wasn't so great in the first season or two of TNG.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#7 Dahdtoudi

Dahdtoudi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

As with all Star Trek, the acting gets better with time. Even Patrick Stewart wasn't so great in the first season or two of TNG.

very true... maybe avery just needed more practice when is came to drama.. other forms i felt he did very well

#8 Baconnaise

Baconnaise

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

I keep waiting for Avery to say "what's that supposed to mean?" to all the white cast members. Seriously though Avery isn't bad and it was a welcome change especially then that we had an actual captain or commander for a bit that wasn't a cookie cutter white guy that went to yale or oxford.
Because Every Meal Should Taste Like Bacon

#9 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,645 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:49 AM

Im say,what Avery Brooks good actor. Me like,how he play in series "DS9". He play good commander,who commanding big space stantion around planet Bajor.Sometimes his hero lier,but he make excellent work for safe stantion and federation planets. If you watch season 7,that will be see, how good Brooks play captain starship "Defiant".

Edited by Martok, 03 July 2010 - 08:08 AM.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#10 Chief Cottingham

Chief Cottingham

Ensign

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:38 AM

I think he is a good actor.

#11 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

Those pauses are expected from those with very traditional Shakespearean theatrical training. Just watch Sir Laurence Olivier ham it up. To sleep.... PERCHANCE TO DREAM!

Even Derek Jacobi puts in those accelerations and pauses... though with much more success.

Both Brooks and Shatner came from traditional theatrical schools.

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#12 Chief Cottingham

Chief Cottingham

Ensign

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

Agreed.

#13 Commander Brock

Commander Brock

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

He can be a little bit over the top sometimes. In the episodes where he is "Benny Russel" he goes crazy!! Like when he had a mental breakdown yelling "IT IS REAL!!" and slowly falling onto the ground like a baby....btw here is a funny video over that episode...

Posted Image Posted Image

#14 Greystone

Greystone

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

At the start of DS9 I have to admit I wasn't the biggest fan of the show or Brooks, both came of age with 'Past Tense' and went on to be my favourite arm of Trek.

Brooks from series 4 onwards is awesome.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users