2 replies to this topic

#1 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:16 AM

CAVEman 3-D Virtual Patient Is a Holodeck For the Human Body
A 3-D virtual patient that allows doctors to visualize and diagnose ailments in high-definition By Corey Binns Posted 07.09.2009 at 10:41 am 4 Comments
Posted Image
Dead Man Floating Christoph Sensen designed this 3-D virtual patient to 
simulate more than 3,000 body parts Courtesy Christoph Sensen What happens when you pop a pill? Inside the University of Calgary's $1.5-million virtual-reality room, scientists can don a pair of 3-D goggles and find out in high-definition detail. Biochemist Christoph Sensen and his colleagues have created a virtual human dubbed the CAVEman (for Automated Virtual Environment) that lets them monitor how a virtual body metabolizes medicine.

What: Caveman, a virtual-reality rig that simulates the anatomy and physiology of the human body
Where: Alberta, Canada
Why: Because the world needs a more affordable, less invasive alternative to body scans
Wow: Hit zoom to see a blood cell eight feet wide.

Posted Image
Aspirin in Action: The virtual-reality rig at the University of Calgary visualizes aspirin's journey through the body in 3-D. First stop: the stomach and intestines [red], where the drug is absorbed. Next up is the bloodstream [light green] and finally the kidneys [dark green], which flush by-products into the urine Courtesy Sun Center of Excellence for Visual GenomicsIn this image, three stereoscopic projectors mounted on the floor and one on the ceiling display a computer-animated body. Looking through the goggles, researchers can watch its bloodstream turn from white to red as aspirin travels through it. Sensen hopes to develop computer simulations that will model the progression of diseases like Alzheimer's and diabetes and help scientists quite literally look for cures. Updated to reflect what's happening inside a real patient, the technology could also help doctors diagnose and treat cancer. "You could stand inside your patient," Sensen says, "and see how big the tumor is, how to treat it, and what the outcome will be."

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkZPDvOi1K4"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=PkZPDvOi1K4[/url]
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:41 AM

Very cool gadget. Partnered with data from a full body CAT scan a person could have a base-line for their health for future diagnoses. Lots of potential.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#3 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:02 AM

Oh to say nothing of mapping out surgical options. Partner this with a Davinci system and they'd virtually never worry about nicking arteries or nerves in surgery again. :D
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users