Rewriting the Bible

33 replies to this topic

#21 aklaus

aklaus

Overanalyzinator ~~ Countdown Dumpster Diver

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:12 PM

Just to clear up any confusion I am not stoned right now. That is how I think normally :P

If I were still doing quotes of the day, this would be one of them :lol:

#22 Captain Ezri Dax

Captain Ezri Dax

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:19 PM

Is the bible like a self help book??? tells us how to live?? Luckily it is not taken literally anymore or we will be stoning each other.

We can always stone each other with pee stone. Hurts but it will not kill each other :wallbash:

Anyway, the bible is a little outdated.

#23 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

Depends upon whether you read it metaphorically or literally I guess.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#24 Captain Ezri Dax

Captain Ezri Dax

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:35 PM

Depends upon whether you read it metaphorically or literally I guess.

If you read the bible as metaphorically, why so many people go to church on Sunday in a literally sense?

#25 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:52 PM

Well, I know in my archdiocese most of the signage outside Catholic and Episcopalian churches have something to the effect of 'A Catholic Community' or 'an Episcopalian Community' under the name. So I guess using that rationale, the go there to be part of a community of like-minded people, kind of the same as why you and all of us joined TU. All hail Gene Roddenberry! :upsidedown:
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#26 Irene Brustad

Irene Brustad

Fleet Captain

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

All hail Gene Roddenberry! :upsidedown:

"I condemn false prophets, I condemn the effort to take away the power of rational decision, to drain people of their free will -- and a hell of a lot of money in the bargain. Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain." ~Gene Roddenberry

:bowdown:

An apropos to Sevnson's previous post; Carl Sagan - Infinite paralell matrix; as above, so below

As you said on FB, " Great minds and all that" :nod:

#27 Breachwood

Breachwood

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 06:53 AM

We can always stone each other with pee stone. Hurts but it will not kill each other :wallbash: Anyway, the bible is a little outdated.

Only a little??

#28 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:11 AM

As I recall pea stone can hurt quite a bit depending on the type of stone and where it hits.
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#29 Irene Brustad

Irene Brustad

Fleet Captain

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:45 AM

If I didn't see it for myself while watching The Rachel Maddow Show I wouldn't have believed it. An actual, real, effort by conservatives to rewrite the bible to suit their right wing sensibilities.

Well, the bible is an rewrite of older religions as well, so it isn't especially surprising that the bible has been changed several times.

Zeitgeist (religon) The greatest story ever sold part 1

"ZEITGEIST, Part 1" Debunked? Acharya Responds

Edited by Irene Brustad, 28 October 2009 - 07:46 AM.

#30 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

An atheist was hiking through the woods when suddenly he heard a stirring in the brush behind him. Turning, he saw an 800 pound grizzly bear charging toward him. The atheist starts running as fast as he can, but no matter which evasive maneuver he made the bear was catching up to him.

Finally, the bear closes the distance between them and bats him in the back causing the atheist to fall down. The bear reared up with fangs and claws exposed and the bear's saliva was dripping in the atheist's face. He screams out -- "OH GOD!"

Suddenly time was stilled and quieted, no bird or cricket sounds could be heard, and the bear was frozen in his attack position over the atheist. A bright light shown down on him and a voice out of the heavens proclaimed -- "You have spent your entire life denying my existence and have even gone out of your way to teach others to not trust or believe in me. Now you expect me to help you in this time of dire need?"

The atheist replied, "Sir, I know it would be hypocritical of me to become one of those pathetic death-bed converts, but perhaps you could at least turn this bear into a believer."

Immediately the light was gone, the birds resumed their chirping and the cool breeze was felt again on the sweating face of the atheist. The bear backed away a few inches, fell to its knees and folded its front paws into a prayer symbol and said .......

"Thank you Lord for this meal I am about to receive."

"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#31 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:10 PM

:lol:

Hey an update. I saw today they have this new edition in print...

Posted Image
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#32 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

Hey, you know what Shlomi, I reackon if you actually learned to walk your talk then you'd operate here a whole lot differently, or at least differently enough for some folks to begin taking you seriously.

Where in your religion or in your faith in God does it tell you that the best way of trying to get people to see your point of view does it recommend silly sniping at people who believe differently. Wouldn't leading by example be a better a plan?

Edited by JulesLuvsShinzon, 20 April 2010 - 09:54 AM.

#33 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hey, you know what Shlomi, I reackon if you actually learned to walk your talk then you'd operate here a whole lot differently, or at least differently enough for some folks to begin taking you seriously.

Where in your religion or in your faith in God does it tell you that the best way of trying to get people to see your point of view does it recommend silly sniping at people who believe differently. Wouldn't leading by example be a better a plan?

Didn't know I was "sniping" on anyone. One of my fellow physician collegues told us this joke today and I thought it was quite funny (as had everyone else who heard it in the room at the time) and thought I would simply share it with my friends here at TU. Since I am in the medical profession I suppose it would have been just as funny if in place of the atheist a lawyer had been substitued, but I shared the joke as it was told to those of us in the department.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#34 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:54 AM

Well thanks for sharing your workplace humour with us Shlomi!!

However, I've heard the same joke told over and over again about lawyers, atheists, etc, etc, and after a while the story just loses its power to amuse. :eat:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users