Photo

Was the USS Enterprise ever part of the Dominion War?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

I've never seen any mention by Picard & Company to the Dominion War, and I've also never seen any mention by the DS9 characters as to how the flagship of the Federation took part in the fighting. I have seen references in non-canon books about that, though, but those aren't canon?

Were Picard & Company ever part of the Dominion War? In the canon, I mean.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:19 PM

I don't think it's been explicitly stated. Enterprise did visit DS9 from time to time, but I don't think it did after the war started.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#3 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

The funny thing is that, in none of the Next Gen movies were there ever any mention of the Dominion War. You'd think that an event like a Quadrant-wide war would at least seep into the conversations of the crew now and then.

#4 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

I think Data mentioned the Dominion War in Nemesis.
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#5 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

The Dominion War was explicitly mentioned by Data in Star Trek: Nemesis (Shinzon was a noted commander of the Romulan forces during the war). The war was not mentioned in Star Trek: Insurrection, but Picard does mention the Dominion. Based on what Picard mentions in that film, it would be reasonable to assume that the Enterprise did not fight on the front lines but was instead used as a flag of diplomacy elsewhere around the Federation as needed ("...and they need us to put out one more brush fire. Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?").

Your first thought may be, "Well, that's stupid. Why not put one of the most powerful starships with one of the Federation's best captains on the front line?" However, given Picard's experience as an explorer and diplomat, and given the power of the Enterprise-E, it suits the ship and the captain to be sent on diplomacy missions: the captain is a noted diplomat and is likely to produce the desired result, while the captain and ship are more than capable of fending for themselves if diplomacy breaks down. Better that than say a poor diplomat on say a Sabre-class starship who both fails and gets his ship blown to pieces as a result.

Posted Image

#6 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:55 PM

it would be reasonable to assume that the Enterprise did not fight on the front lines but was instead used as a flag of diplomacy elsewhere around the Federation as needed ("...and they need us to put out one more brush fire. Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?").

Well, that sounds like an entire series by itself. :)

But the interesting thing is that there is no mention of what the USS Enterprise did in any of the canon movies. And don't forget, in "Yesterday's Enterprise", it was used as a battleship of the line, so it would be logical to assume that the same would be true here.

#7 dirtpeach

dirtpeach

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:55 PM

My guess is (as a hardcore Picard fan) the writers figured out the Dominion would have no chance if pitted against Picard and his crew. You can't have the Dominion War last just 2 episodes.

#8 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:53 PM

But the interesting thing is that there is no mention of what the USS Enterprise did in any of the canon movies. And don't forget, in "Yesterday's Enterprise", it was used as a battleship of the line, so it would be logical to assume that the same would be true here.

Some things are just hard to work into a script or a final cut for a movie.

And yes, but was the Enterprise-C the best ship in the fleet with the best captain? I think not. Like I said, a ship that can defend itself on its own with a noted diplomat captain.

My guess is (as a hardcore Picard fan) the writers figured out the Dominion would have no chance if pitted against Picard and his crew. You can't have the Dominion War last just 2 episodes.

That would be another reason. (And while the war didn't last two episodes, it does, for the most part, take a back seat after Sisko & Co. take back DS9 in season six.)

Posted Image

#9 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:04 AM

I would guess that, as the flagship, it would have been involved in the fighting, but since there's no canon info, I suppose it's open to interpretation.

#10 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

I would guess that, as the flagship, it would have been involved in the fighting, but since there's no canon info, I suppose it's open to interpretation.

True, but, since there are now so many inconsistencies in the canon, we could tell if we had an alternate universe. :rolleyes:

#11 shinkai

shinkai

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

While I'm all for adhering to canon, the lack of details available for this could be a good thing. You could probably write this into your work however you needed it to be since it doesn't seem like there would be much conflict either way.
"Darkness is a shroud, and the earth is in stillness,
For he who made them rests in his horizon."
-from Akhenaten's Great Hymn to the Aten

#12 Captain Ezri Dax

Captain Ezri Dax

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:11 PM

I don't think it's been explicitly stated. Enterprise did visit DS9 from time to time, but I don't think it did after the war started.

Enterprise did not visit DS9 during and after the war. In fact, the class of starship of Enterprise was not even in the war.

#13 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:44 PM

Enterprise did not visit DS9 during and after the war. In fact, the class of starship of Enterprise was not even in the war.

Why wouldn't the top of the line class of starships be in the war?

#14 Breachwood

Breachwood

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:27 AM

Would it not have detracted from the show being about the DS9 officers?? Sure there could be some frame of reference but I think it would have overshadowed DS9 if you added the Enterprise and the TNG crew.

#15 Captain Ezri Dax

Captain Ezri Dax

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

Would it not have detracted from the show being about the DS9 officers?? Sure there could be some frame of reference but I think it would have overshadowed DS9 if you added the Enterprise and the TNG crew.

Think it would have been a detraction. We did not see any ship looking like the current class ship of the Enterprise or the current class ship of Voyager during the war. In fact, with Enterprise with the TNG or the movies, only a single time did they use a sister ship. That ship exploded.

#16 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:04 PM

Doesn't make sense - the Enterprise class would be the top of the line, and, if there was a war, where the Federation was fighting for its survival, every ship of that class would be used. The thing is, I see no evidence that the Enterprise was involved.

#17 Captain Ezri Dax

Captain Ezri Dax

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:30 AM

Well, the war was dealing with DS9 and if you added the Enterprise it would be blending the war with the TNG movies. If Enterprise was in the war, the fans would be screaming and posting that the next Enterprise movie would be dealing with the war. Would not that take away seven years of work to just hand it over to Picard and gang with a movie. The other fear, that would kill any hope of DS9 with a movie. Even if Enterprise did make it into a movie with the war, how do you come to a conclusion with a Star Trek war movie.

If the Enterprise was or hinted in DS9 that it was in the war, someone that is not part of DS9, could make a Enterprise movie and take away the THUNDER away from DS9.DS9 would never be thought of as an equal with the other series.

Edited by Ezri86, 14 October 2009 - 06:32 AM.

#18 Breachwood

Breachwood

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:35 PM

As if it needed the appearance of the Enterprise to survive?

#19 Captain Ezri Dax

Captain Ezri Dax

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:01 AM

As if it needed the appearance of the Enterprise to survive?

It is a little fun to think of an overlap of other series. My viewpoint, Enterprise really did not need to overlap DS9 after the first season. With the ending of ENTERPRISE, with the overlap it was ok but I wished it had a better ending.

#20 Baconnaise

Baconnaise

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

I don't think they added Galaxy class ships because of all the death and more of them would be destroyed. People might have been put off by that. The other matter is due to all the reuse of cgi battles. I could see them adding some if each battle were completely different and unique but it didn't happen due to time money etc so meh.

Just be happy that DS9 had the best effects and battles out of all the series and even movies. The new Trek movie is pretty good in this regard but it's not showing huge fleet battles.
Because Every Meal Should Taste Like Bacon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users