• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1000 replies to this topic

#1 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:01 AM

For some reason the old thread is locked at page 48, so I just made a new one.

As for the new contest: I don't think I'm going to be submitting. I had an idea, and I even worked at it a little (not writing but I did think about it) before I remembered the word limit. There's not much I can do in 1500 words. Well, there is, but certainly not with this idea, or with any idea that I would actually enjoy writing that fits this prompt.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

So, who's planning to submit this time? Hasn't been much talk so far.

I had an idea, but it's pretty stupid, so I'm not sure if I'll bother.

#3 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:30 AM

If the word limit was removed I definitely would have. Too late now, though.
I really want to submit every time, even if just to keep this contest kicking til the next time around. Ever since I started, I've only missed one due to real life complications. But if I can't submit anything that is a serious work (serious meaning that I want to take the time and care to write the best quality story that I can) then I'm not going to, and the word limit coupled with the prompt blew my chances. With a different prompt, I could have made the word limit work. Without a word limit, I could've made the prompt work. But alas, fate conspired against me.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#4 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:59 PM

To be honest, with a prompt like that, anything shorter than 5,000 words will come out like a bad trip.
Posted Image

#5 Allee

Allee

Just Another Member with Over 3000 Posts

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:27 AM

If the word limit was removed I definitely would have. Too late now, though.
I really want to submit every time, even if just to keep this contest kicking til the next time around. Ever since I started, I've only missed one due to real life complications. But if I can't submit anything that is a serious work (serious meaning that I want to take the time and care to write the best quality story that I can) then I'm not going to, and the word limit coupled with the prompt blew my chances. With a different prompt, I could have made the word limit work. Without a word limit, I could've made the prompt work. But alas, fate conspired against me.

Come on, man! I didn't say the story had to center around the monkey, just that it had to "incorporate" a monkey wearing a beret. That could mean anything really. Just mention the monkey once! Could have been a tattoo or a hallucination or anything - use your imagination. And as far as word limits go, just take your idea and pare it down to it's most essential part, more can be said with less words. You've got 8/9ish days left, you can come up with something decent. I wrote mine a couple of hours before the deadline and trust me a picture of a guy in a gas mask didn't immediately spark my creative interest. Anyway, isn't the challenge of it the whole point?
So, you better get cracking buddy, because I'm expecting to see a submission by you! Posted Image

Connor-picstrip.jpg

#6 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:54 AM

Come on, man! I didn't say the story had to center around the monkey, just that it had to "incorporate" a monkey wearing a beret. That could mean anything really. Just mention the monkey once! Could have been a tattoo or a hallucination or anything - use your imagination. And as far as word limits go, just take your idea and pare it down to it's most essential part, more can be said with less words. You've got 8/9ish days left, you can come up with something decent. I wrote mine a couple of hours before the deadline and trust me a picture of a guy in a gas mask didn't immediately spark my creative interest. Anyway, isn't the challenge of it the whole point?
So, you better get cracking buddy, because I'm expecting to see a submission by you! Posted Image

Yes, I know the prompt. And believe me, I'm the king of prompt-twisting. I had an idea raring to go, but it's not an idea I can "pare down" without destroying it. I'm such a delicate writer that even under ideal conditions I struggle to make a story what I want it, I'm not going to write it if I have more things conspiring against me. Sure, I can maybe write the idea one day, but it's going to be longer than you want it to be if it's going to be any good.
If I submit, it will be something different. But I'm also half doing this in protest of the word limit (I despise word limits beyond belief) so don't expect a submission. If I'm going to write at all, I'm going to do it my way. Sure, the writing contest is often a challenge, but I don't do it because it's a challenge. I do it to showcase my hobby and to get feedback on my work. I can easily do that independently if the contest doesn't suit my needs.

Edited by Apocalypse, 07 October 2009 - 10:54 AM.

-The Tick

#7 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

All right, I made my entry. I still think it's fairly dumb, but I'm hoping someone will get a chuckle out of it.

#8 Allee

Allee

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

Alrighty, just a reminder, if there are actually any other writers intending to submit an entry you've got until midnight tonight.

Posted Image

Connor-picstrip.jpg

#9 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

Anyway, regarding the next topic (yeah, I'm all over this because I want something I can submit to this time (no offense, Allee (wow I've never done double, or triple parentheses before))) this is a post I made before the prompt for the current contest was chosen. I know EE commented that it could work, and I know both Plaz and Barbara expressed interest in the song part of it.

Another idea: Individual topics. That's kind of vague, but let me explain it using the idea I had.
We'd each pick a "topic" of sorts (it would probably fit a theme that would be given by whoever would normally choose the topic) and make a story out of it. Now, for this example (which I think would be really awesome to do sometime) the guideline we must follow is choosing some type of music to make a story out of. Then we each pick a song, find it on Youtube and link it with our stories. So, then you can find a song which gives you some kind of inspiration and use it to write a story.

Better for the creative juices than being given something (like a picture) and having to run with it. Thoughts?
(Oh, and I reeeaaally wanna have that music thing for a prompt.)

That's my suggestion. And despite Allee's response to it before, it's only that: a suggestion. But you know, we've always decided on these things through suggestion and talking these things through... it's how we get the most people interested in the contest, by ensuring everyone has a voice in what we're doing and by getting everyone interested.
-The Tick

#10 Allee

Allee

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 10:12 PM

That's my suggestion. And despite Allee's response to it before, it's only that: a suggestion.

Posted Image I was just kidding, silly butt! Posted Image I just didn't feel right taking your thing, you came up with it so I felt like it should be yours to do something with. You big goofball! Posted Image

Besides, I didn't do any backreading on the other threads to see how or who came up with the ideas so when you said, "it would probably fit a theme that would be given by whoever would normally choose the topic" I took that to mean what it said and didn't know (as you've just suggested) that picking it was in any way a collaborative effort. I just thought you came up with something you thought was cool and threw it out there, for the future, in case you forgot it at some point.

Plus you love the monkey. . .Posted Image
(his beret is invisible)

Connor-picstrip.jpg

#11 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:02 PM

I just didn't feel right taking your thing, you came up with it so I felt like it should be yours to do something with.

If I judged all my suggestions I'd have several contests worth of judging to do.
-The Tick

#12 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:05 AM

It's midnight who won?
Posted Image

#13 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:30 AM

It may be midnight where you are...

Also, learn to use proper punctuation.
-The Tick

#14 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:33 AM

I left out the comma on purpose to put on that I was saying it really fast and eagerly.

Also Brett, get on WLM.
Posted Image

#15 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:34 AM

Nope.
-The Tick

#16 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 12:41 AM

Anyway, regarding the next topic (yeah, I'm all over this because I want something I can submit to this time (no offense, Allee (wow I've never done double, or triple parentheses before))) this is a post I made before the prompt for the current contest was chosen. I know EE commented that it could work, and I know both Plaz and Barbara expressed interest in the song part of it.

That's my suggestion. And despite Allee's response to it before, it's only that: a suggestion. But you know, we've always decided on these things through suggestion and talking these things through... it's how we get the most people interested in the contest, by ensuring everyone has a voice in what we're doing and by getting everyone interested.

don't be bitter. As picker she had a right to ignore any and all suggestions. Besides playing by other peoples rules is a good way to stretch your brain.

Edited by poko, 16 October 2009 - 12:42 AM.

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#17 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:04 AM

don't be bitter. As picker she had a right to ignore any and all suggestions. Besides playing by other peoples rules is a good way to stretch your brain.

I'm not bitter. I've just seen this contest on the brink of death and I don't want it to die, because I like it, and if we can't get anyone interested in submitting than we might as well not even have the contest in the first place. Of course the winner gets to choose, but like I said before... I can write for the contest and get feedback or I can write independently and get feedback. I'm just trying to make sure I keep having the first option.
-The Tick

#18 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

Okay, Allee. Spit it out. Who won?

#19 Allee

Allee

• Members