Q and the Squire of Gothos

9 replies to this topic

#1 Seleya

Seleya

Warrant Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

Hello everybody! I started to watch the first season of TNG some weeks ago and I've already seen half of it.
I met Q and I noticed he's very similar to the Squire of Gothos of the TOS, do you remember the episode? I make a question: Is the squire of Gothos one of the entities of Q's species? My brother and I are very curious about these creatures who play with human beens (and other aliens).
Thank you, ! :)

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

The Squire of Gothos probably isn't a Q entity, but Trek fans have been pondering this question for over 20 years now ever since Q was first introduced on TNG. The other question often pondered is "Was the machine planet V'ger visited the pre-assimilated Borg home world?" Many think yes and the Borg machines got the idea of assimilation from V'ger's joining with Commander Decker, while an equal number say no. David Mack settled that question in one of his triliogy of novels (Star Trek: Destiny). However, since nothing is canon until it appears on the small or big screen, then the question for both inquiries remain unanswered.

Edited by Shlomi of Vulcan, 31 August 2009 - 07:51 AM.

"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#3 Seleya

Seleya

Warrant Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:15 AM

The Squire of Gothos probably isn't a Q entity, but Trek fans have been pondering this question for over 20 years now ever since Q was first introduced on TNG. The other question often pondered is "Was the machine planet V'ger visited the pre-assimilated Borg home world?" Many think yes and the Borg machines got the idea of assimilation from V'ger's joining with Commander Decker, while an equal number say no. David Mack settled that question in one of his triliogy of novels (Star Trek: Destiny). However, since nothing is canon until it appears on the small or big screen, then the question for both inquiries remain unanswered.

Thank you Shlomi!! Oh, great! I don't know Borgs so well, but I've seen more than once "Star Trek the motion Picture" (I didn't like it at all, I appreciated only the idea, but the movie was very boring in my opinion). So the Borgs' origin is never explained?
Another question: Have you ever read "Spock's world" by Diane Duane? I think so because of your name and your avatar...When I was a twelve and thirteen I read a lot about Vulcans and Spock's family (I loved Sarek) and I liked Duane's book very much. But...now I'm not so sure the history of Vulcan she speaks about is canon...I thought that fan-writers gave a contribute to the creators of Star Trek that was accepted and...assimilated by them.
A last question. I've read The "Spock's secret" by J Taylor. Does it come before the episode of TNG or after? :err:

#4 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:17 PM

Star Trek canon is only that which comes to television or movies. Books are not canon. However, some ideas from various Star Trek novels have been incorporated into some of the series and films. This usually happens if a particular Star Trek novelist was part of the writing team for a Trek TV script or film screenplay. Once it is on the screen (of any size) then it becomes official canon.

Oh, one other thing I must clarify: Only Paramount films and TV shows are canon as well. Fan and other produced series such as New Voyages (aka Star Trek-Phase) and Of Gods and Men, even though produced by ex-Star Trek alum, are not official canon - at least not yet.

Edited by Shlomi of Vulcan, 31 August 2009 - 03:19 PM.

"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#5 Allee

Allee

Just Another Member with Over 3000 Posts

• Members
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

Hello everybody! I started to watch the first season of TNG some weeks ago and I've already seen half of it.
I met Q and I noticed he's very similar to the Squire of Gothos of the TOS, do you remember the episode? I make a question: Is the squire of Gothos one of the entities of Q's species? My brother and I are very curious about these creatures who play with human beens (and other aliens).
Thank you, ! Posted Image

The Squire of Gothos probably isn't a Q entity, but Trek fans have been pondering this question for over 20 years now ever since Q was first introduced on TNG. . . . However, since nothing is canon until it appears on the small or big screen, then the question for both inquiries remain unanswered.

There was also a book called "Q Squared" (as Shlomi says, not canon) that indicates Trelane is a Q. So, if you want to believe he is go right ahead! Posted Image
Help make Pauline America's Next Author! http://www.ebookmall...hor/pauline-mac

Posted Image

#6 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:15 PM

There was a novel which said that the Squire was a member of the Q continuum, but, as stated here, novels are not canon.

#7 max88

max88

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:35 AM

The books are canon in their own universe, I choose to believe they are of course set in another universe, a close approximation of ''our'' Trek world we are use to in the Tv/movie canon. Now, Q Squared I have just finished reading and it has a wonderful premise, as a previous poster has mentioned, the concept that Trelane is a member of the Q continuum. Something which would fit entirely with Trelane's actions and demeanor. I think, he along with Harry Mudd had the actor not died before the opportunity, should have been integrated into TNG some way, I know William Campbell would have aged by TNG, but they could have explained it as a mere change of appearance hence age.

#8 Terran

Terran

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Having grown up on TOS and TNG the second I saw Q I thought of Trelane.( side note.. when I first saw Trelane I thought of Liberace...perhaps he too was a Q. LOL ) The fact that it's being discussed at all proves I was not alone in my conclusion. I like the thought of Trelane being a child Q ...so I will not be swayed by any canon.. G-Rod approved of changing canon anyway.. it's all his creation, so I'm going to side with him.

#9 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

Trelane is just a child. Did you see in the end his parents. They don't look like Q.

Edited by Commander Lazar, 11 December 2011 - 07:25 PM.

#10 Greystone

Greystone

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Hmmmm yes I think it's acceptable to consider Trelane a Q.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users