The Case Against Apple–in Five Parts

9 replies to this topic

#1 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

I found this story on Apple blocking apps and thought it'd make for an interesting discussion...

Posted Image

The Case Against Apple–in Five Parts
If I had dropped the kind of coin he had on Apple products, I'd be a whole lot more annoyed with them than I am right now. Mind you I do love my IPhone and don't regret getting it, but this guy brings up a lot of good points on Apple's Machiavellian approach to their customer base. I can also say in all honesty when the warranty is up I will likely jailbreak the OS to open up the features they block.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 shinkai

shinkai

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:54 PM

This doesn't make me not like Apple anymore, it just turns me off of iPhones.

I'm still going to try for a used G4 around Christmas. It's not likely that I'd ever spend money on a Windows machine. I've only ever owned Macs, and never once had a virus. My Windows using friends, however, needed to upgrade their protection frequently.

The only problem I ever had was the so-called "Startup Virus" which wasn't a virus at all, just a conflict between certain demo CDs and the Finder. Took all of 10 minutes to fix.

The issues I have with my G3 are due to the previous owner not keeping up with cleaning out older versions of software after upgrades. SO much duplicate crap and I have no idea what half of it is.

Plus, my only option for real internet only supports a system version my computer's too slow to run. I'm still keeping it, though, because there are older games and such that I'm rather partial to that won't run on the Intel Macs. I could upgrade it, but that would cost more than just getting a clean G4 with the right version OS.
"Darkness is a shroud, and the earth is in stillness,
For he who made them rests in his horizon."
-from Akhenaten's Great Hymn to the Aten

#3 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:56 PM

I have to say, Apple does make quality products, for the most part. But some of the stuff they do to you and restrict you with...that's the insane part.

Oh, and the price.

Posted Image

#4 Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe

• Members
  • 45,874 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

hmm.... i can pay $1200 for a computer that does internet, word processing, and plays music... or i can pay $500 for a computer that does internet, word processing, and plays music. i can't imagine why i don't purchase apple products :P

my roommate and pretty much everyone else i know either owns or wants to own an Iphone. i don't understand the appeal, particularly at the ridiculous price point of the minutes/data plan.
Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the
earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of
all poems...

#5 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:04 PM

I don't like Apple, to the point where I didn't even want to come to this thread until I saw the word "against." So, uh, I guess that pretty clearly states my position. :P
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#6 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:02 AM

This doesn't make me not like Apple anymore, it just turns me off of iPhones.

I'm still going to try for a used G4 around Christmas. It's not likely that I'd ever spend money on a Windows machine. I've only ever owned Macs, and never once had a virus. My Windows using friends, however, needed to upgrade their protection frequently.

The only problem I ever had was the so-called "Startup Virus" which wasn't a virus at all, just a conflict between certain demo CDs and the Finder. Took all of 10 minutes to fix.

The issues I have with my G3 are due to the previous owner not keeping up with cleaning out older versions of software after upgrades. SO much duplicate crap and I have no idea what half of it is.

Plus, my only option for real internet only supports a system version my computer's too slow to run. I'm still keeping it, though, because there are older games and such that I'm rather partial to that won't run on the Intel Macs. I could upgrade it, but that would cost more than just getting a clean G4 with the right version OS.

See that is part of their mentality, which is similar to MS but in a way worse. Not only do they expect you to buy the new horse, which is fine, but also the barn the fence and the pasture from them at a premium. Also if they come out with new accessories for said horse, you have to rinse and repeat the whole mess all over again in spite of the fact that the old barn etc will still accommodate the new features.

I have to say, Apple does make quality products, for the most part. But some of the stuff they do to you and restrict you with...that's the insane part.

Oh, and the price.

I have zero complaints with the build of my one apple product, it was well worth $99. My issues with it and everything Apple is their tyrannical developer controls. THey approve everything sold for their products whether they make it or not, and if it competes with one of their products they WILL NOT SELL IT. MS got bagged for that with IE, and they are doing the same thing on the IPhone

hmm.... i can pay $1200 for a computer that does internet, word processing, and plays music... or i can pay $500 for a computer that does internet, word processing, and plays music. i can't imagine why i don't purchase apple products :P

my roommate and pretty much everyone else i know either owns or wants to own an Iphone. i don't understand the appeal, particularly at the ridiculous price point of the minutes/data plan.

It depends upon what you use it for Mark. If you just use it for a phone, maybe a little texting, follow your sister and get the freebie phone. This is more of a PDA.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#7 tesral

tesral

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:01 PM

Why do I use Linux? All the stability that Apple is touted for, the price point of PC hardware. And it is all controlled by ME!
Garry AKA Phoenix -- Rising Above the FLames
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
Epiphany Trek

#8 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

http://www.makeuseof...ials-for-apple/

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#9 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:07 PM

Hmmm, that pasty nerd lacks all the charisma, dedication, and excitement that made the original performance hilarious.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#10 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,611 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

Just not as fun without Hair's Mac Head gushing :P
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users