Photo

Goodbye, RadioShack; Hello..."The Shack"?

11 replies to this topic

#1 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

RadioShack is getting a marketing makeover. Starting August 6, the venerable electronics retailer will change its name to "The Shack," a rebranding move designed to shed the last-century association with creaky radio technology and embrace today's digital wireless world. To celebrate the name change, RadioShack will conduct a "Shack Summer Netogether," a live event featuring two 17-foot laptop computers in New York and San Francisco. Equipped with Webcams, the gargantuan notebooks will allow live video and audio exchanges between the two cities.

PC World

Ick. Count me as one who does not like this name change.

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:38 PM

Count me second. I recently went into one of their stores at the local mall.
There really isn't much left there in the do-it-yourself electronics. Very sad.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#3 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

They probably used the same marketing team that came up with the SYFY channel name!!!! lol

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

#4 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

I give 'em three years to Chapter 11, max. The one thing that made them stand out were the kits and components. My dad bought me so many of those breadboard electronic kits as a kid. Yeah, I was the man I had the Armatron B) True it didn't work that well and was kind cheap but it was cool. One of my first computers was a TRS-80(an upgrade from the Timex Sinclair).
Posted Image
Once they started ditching things like that they became just another fish with a couple Brookstone-ish gee whiz gadgets for the box stores to eat.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#5 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:15 PM

They probably used the same marketing team that came up with the SYFY channel name!!!! lol

I was about to say. Remarketing yourself ends up with most people saying "I don't like that." People usually hate change.

In fact, I just watched some TNG at a friends house and the same thing got brought up whenever the SyFy logo appeared on screen. The prevailing opinion is bad.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#6 shinkai

shinkai

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

How the hell is it a "laptop" if it's 17 feet?!

But yeah, the name change is stupid. It's a rare thing for me to go into that place (can't bring myself to use the new name) anymore because it's 90% cellphone crap with a few cables and some batteries thrown in.
"Darkness is a shroud, and the earth is in stillness,
For he who made them rests in his horizon."
-from Akhenaten's Great Hymn to the Aten

#7 aklaus

aklaus

Overanalyzinator ~~ Countdown Dumpster Diver

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

#8 JoannaPoe

JoannaPoe

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

I loved the part in their press release where they said "many of our customers already refer to us simply as 'the Shack.'" Really? REALLY? Who are these people?

Apparently they're not actually changing the signs or anything, it's just a stupid marketing thing.

I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your browser history when you die.

ST: Unity

#9 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:39 PM

Yeah, and the commercials still use the name RadioShack after the "The Shack" identifier. So yeah, it's marketing and not rebranding.

Posted Image

#10 JoannaPoe

JoannaPoe

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

Turns out Pizza Hut is doing the same thing, and calling itself "The Hut" in some of it's marketing. At least they skipped the step of going to "PizzaHut" first. :P

I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your browser history when you die.

ST: Unity

#11 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,614 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

Turns out Pizza Hut is doing the same thing, and calling itself "The Hut" in some of it's marketing. At least they skipped the step of going to "PizzaHut" first. :P

Only one flaw with that type of brand association with a pizza chain....

Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#12 tesral

tesral

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:49 PM

I rebranded them years ago, only it wasn't "Shack" Still starts with "S" however.. They are not even worth it for the occasional switch anymore. Odd batteries is about the last reason left to darken their door.
Garry AKA Phoenix -- Rising Above the FLames
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
Epiphany Trek

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users