• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Tom

Tom

TrekUnited Owner & Co-Founder

• Managment
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:35 PM

There is a new version of the forum software out, 3.0.1, and TU will have to upgraded in the near future. There are two major things that have to be done before and the upgrade can take place:

- Member database, right now the TU member database goes though Scifiunited's database as part of the old SFU network. TU's member database will have to run on its own with no connections to SFU's DB (TU will stand on its own in that regard). This is because the all new coding in version 3 will not support this type of connection the way it is done now. So what does that mean for you? When I put TU's member DB on it's own, some people my find there password does not work, in which case you you just use the lost password feature, failing that, just email forum@trekunited.com and I will reset it for you. We did the same thing at GBBS a few months ago and most people were able to login, so its not that big of a deal.

- Skins, none of these 2.3.x skins will work with version 3 since the coding has been changed. I will have to make an all new skin. What I would like to know is which skin is your favorite??? We have 3 skins here (selectable at the bottem of the forum):

- TUv2.2, this is the default pastel skin of this forum designed by Rooster. it is the skin that all guests see.
- TU Custom 1v2.2, this is the skin that I made that features many Star Trek graphics and some coloring based on Enterprise.
- TU Custom 2v2.2, this is basically the IPB default skin slightly jazzed up with some blue, checker patterns and some trek related buttons.

I would like to make a skin that not so pastel as Richards but not the heavily imaged like mine. What you want think?

Recently, my friend Mike at Trekcore.com just finished his new skin and upgraded there forum to 3.0.1, if you want o see what 3.0 is like take a look at there forum: http://www.theomegasector.com/

TrekUnited - Owner & Co-Founder

Associate Producer of Star Trek: Renegades, Coming soon!!

GalacticaBBS.com - Owner

"To boldly do what no one has done before..."

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:42 PM

I use the TUv2.2 one. It is easy on the eyes
"Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I'll understand"
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Posted Image
"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other, all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up,man,we're going to be something!"Gene Roddenberry 9/4/85

#3 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

I like TUv2.2 just fine and would prefer to see that one updated for the new software. :)

Posted Image

#4 Allee

Allee

Just Another Member with Over 3000 Posts

• Members
  • 3,138 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

Hadn't even noticed the skin selection before, so I'm quite used to TUv2.2 . Like mlaz said, it's easy on the eyes.

Connor-picstrip.jpg

#5 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, another vote for TUv2.2, one of the most readable skins I've seen anywhere.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#6 robin101

robin101

Ensign

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

TUv2.2 for me as well. :nod:
I think there fore I'm dangerous!

#7 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:31 PM

Agreed...TUv2.2

AND it is one of my favorite things about the site...nice, clean graphics...

If you do change it, though, stay away from the yellow...please!!

Edited by trekkin', 23 July 2009 - 06:32 PM.

"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#8 Tom

Tom

• Managment
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

Ok, I will make it like TUv2.2 as much as possibe then.

GalacticaBBS.com - Owner

#9 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,069 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

Thanks Tom, it's also the version I use.

I would like to see some new skins eventually for some variety.

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

#10 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:22 PM

Agreed. I think TUv2.2 is a good transition skin since it's apparently a board-favorite, but a couple of new ones wouldn't be bad for variety and people with different tastes. Who knows, we might find a new favorite somewhere along the lines. :ph34r:

Posted Image

#11 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

It looks like I'm the minority, but I don't really like TUv2.2. I like TU Custom 2v2.2. I find v2.2 to be lacking color and personality. It's too basic.

#12 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:19 PM

It looks like I'm the minority, but I don't really like TUv2.2. I like TU Custom 2v2.2. I find v2.2 to be lacking color and personality. It's too basic.

Well, v2.2 is probably fine as long as the borders (margins)were larger. I know it sounds crazy, but I think that is the biggest difference and what I prefer.
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#13 Tom

Tom

• Managment
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:32 PM

Thanks Tom, it's also the version I use.

Well I'm sure there will be some others, after I not only will do this forum but most likly do TPZ, STOGAM, Sygyzy, to name a few. GBBS's skin is almost done, I also have a new site that i will be creating, more on that another day.

GalacticaBBS.com - Owner

#14 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

TUv2.2 is the bestest!

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#15 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:17 AM

Whatever you choose is fine with me. I do not have a preference.
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#16 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

I use TUv2.2
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#17 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:59 AM

The one thing I adore about the OS is the fact that the colors are actually much easier on my eyes. While I really like TUv2.2 here, the white background tends to cause retina burning. I prefer a more muted background with non-white lettering like the OS.

trekkin' is right about the yellow - but they only use the yellow for thread titles, the posts are actually much easier for me to read than they are here.

So my vision of a perfect TU would be neutral colors using the same small fonts and cohesive design as TUv2.2 :) Just my $0.02

Edited by Terilynn, 24 July 2009 - 09:04 AM.

#18 Tom

Tom

• Managment
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

Ok, TU is now disconnected from the SFU database and is running completly on its own, so far so good with logins. Skin will be at least 2 week depending on how tight my schedule is.

GalacticaBBS.com - Owner

#19 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

Count me as one with login problems. :wacko: But all better now. :)

Posted Image

#20 John Doe

John Doe

Commodore

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

Ok, TU is now disconnected from the SFU database and is running completly on its own.

Good to know that. Now I can change my email address flawlessly. The other way never worked for me.

Thank you for your work.

Without trying to sound egotistical... (...) I have my own ideas and aspirations which were countlessly shot down in the past. I've no interest in being in that position again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users