What Star Trek Novel Are You Reading?

38 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:16 PM

Just thought I'd start a list here of what everyone is reading currently.

I just finished the new movie novelization and have gone back to finish "The Red King"

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Ben_Jamin

Ben_Jamin

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:21 AM

I'm about three quarters of the way through the new movie novelisation.

When I've finished, I recently bought TNG Greater than the sum, the Destiny Trilogy and Titan over a Torrent Sea. Oh, and I need to finish ENT Kobiyashi Maru. But I prefer the Kobiyashi Maru from the movie novelisation. Maybe because I like Kirk more than Archer hehe.
http://ds-10.starfleetuk.org <--- USS Paladin, Sovereign Class, Obsidian Fleet
http://anne.epsilonf...x.php?page=main <--- USS Anne, Ambassador Class, Epsilon Force

"A Female's in the House, She Must be Mounted." - Alan Harper About Charlie Harper's sleeping with Judith's new sister-in-law, Two and a Half Men

#3 Kora' Tor

Kora' Tor

Commander

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Location:Aboard USS Tucker (Sovereign Class) Patrolling the Romulan Neutral Zone

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:35 AM

I have not read the novelization yet...

I am reading tho... Rihannnsu : The Bloodwing Voyages.

It is about 769 pages long...

Yeah, Go Canada Go!!! Go For Gold. Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

Just finished "The Red King" in the Titan series and actually enjoyed it. Am now starting into "Mere Anarchy."

#5 Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:23 AM

Just finished "Things Fall Apart" from the "Mere Anarchy" collection. Very good story which lays some good groundwork for the remaining 5 books in the series.

#6 Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

Just finished "Mere Anarchy" and really enjoyed it. Krad did a great job getting the writers to complete the series and maintaing a really good story line and all ofthe writers did an excellent job with the TOS characters....they were dead on!!! Great job by all and I recommend the series to everyone..highly enjoyable.

Will now begin Voyager "Violations"

I hope others will soon begin to post here also.

#7 Ben_Jamin

Ben_Jamin

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:12 AM

OK, finished the movie novelisation, it rocks, I recomend it.

I'm now 3 quarters of the way through greater than the sum, and will be proceding to Destiny when I finish it. Kobiyashi Maru can have the back seat until I have done all my TNG era books, lol.
http://anne.epsilonf...x.php?page=main <--- USS Anne, Ambassador Class, Epsilon Force

"A Female's in the House, She Must be Mounted." - Alan Harper About Charlie Harper's sleeping with Judith's new sister-in-law, Two and a Half Men

#8 Hathaway Browne

Hathaway Browne

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

As I've said elsewhere, I'm reading the XI novelization. Still not impressed. Kirk is portrayed as a jerk rather than a lovable rogue. Plus they're screwing up some of the plot (I think) with the altered dialogue.
Some days you eat the targ. And some days the targ eats you. But always dress for the hunt!

#9 Ben_Jamin

Ben_Jamin

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:10 AM

As I've said elsewhere, I'm reading the XI novelization. Still not impressed. Kirk is portrayed as a jerk rather than a lovable rogue. Plus they're screwing up some of the plot (I think) with the altered dialogue.

I do see your point, but have you got to the first point in Nero's plan? That's when he starts being a bit less of a jerk.

And also, you think that's bad, wait until the end, they completely re-wrote the battle at the end between the Narada and the Enterprise, but the end result is the same.

Then again, Kirk and Spock's dialogue at the end makes up for it, very humorous. Not to mention something else in the epilogue.

Basically, think of it less as the movie novelisation and more as just a Star Trek book, it helps things run a bit more smoothly when reading it, especially with the altered dialogue.

#10 Hathaway Browne

Hathaway Browne

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:02 AM

I'm only up to the &quot;remove the parking break Sulu&quot;, which seemed to have switched places with Pikes &amp;quot;win one for the Gipper&amp;quot; speech.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;I'll keep it in mind that its not a verbatim retelling of the movie, but it just strikes me as odd when they start tinkering with something that already works.&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;You know the saying from that famous clock &amp;quot;If it ain't baroque, don't fix it&amp;quot;. &lt;img src=&quot;style_emoticons/default/wink.gif&quot; style=&quot;vertical-align:middle&quot; emoid=&quot;;)&quot; border=&quot;0&quot; alt=&quot;wink.gif&quot; /&gt;

EDIT: I have no idea what's going on with this post. All that script has appeared for no reason.

Edited by Hathaway Browne, 13 June 2009 - 08:03 AM.

Some days you eat the targ. And some days the targ eats you. But always dress for the hunt!

#11 Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:13 PM

I am taking a 1 week break from Star Trek lit to read Cussler's "Corsair"

#12 Nyota

Nyota

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:22 PM

I'm reading "Greater Than the Sum" So far it's...okay. I can't help but skip pages since it's mostly talk and technobabble

#13 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

Currently reading the Star Trek Destiny series -- Book 1 "Gods of Night" written by David Mack.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#14 Hathaway Browne

Hathaway Browne

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:12 PM

Ok so I finally finished the movie novelization. Not the best book I've read. And I have to admit, the best part of the book was the reveal on the last page.

#15 Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:44 AM

I agree... I had to smile on that last page!!!!! :D

#16 Hathaway Browne

Hathaway Browne

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:43 PM

They have to make that a deleted scene for the DVD.

#17 Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 09:00 AM

Agreed,,,,as long as the suggestion is planted early in the movie...lol

#18 Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:43 AM

I just finished "Gauntlet" the first book in the "Stargazer" series. I have to admit that I approached this book with a bit if trepidation as I grew up with TOS and am not a tremendous fan of TNG athough I do enjoy it. This is the series that deals with Picard's very first command. About half way through the book, which dealt primarily with the reader meeting the new crew, etc. I began to feel a bit of Deja Vu as it was very reminiscent of the first book in the "Titan" series where we are introduced to a number of non-humanoid crewmembers. On board the Stargazer we have a Gnalish, Binderian, and a Nihzak. Also in the book we meet an Admiral by the name of McAteer who seems to set up Picard for failure, also reminscent of Admiral Jellico in the "New Frontier" series. He also hand picks seven new crew members to be assigned to the Stargazer for various reasons - none of which are good for Picard. The story revolves around the mission to capture the notorious pirate knwn as the White Wolf, something that no Federation vessel has been able to accomplish as he has holed up deep within a Lazarus star. The ending is a bit of a surprise and a bit weak but overall enjoyable. All that being said I really did enjoy the book and would recommend it to any TNG fan. Hey where else can you read about a Picard with a full head of brown hair!

#19 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:50 AM

I have concluded Star Trek Destiny Book I and am now 3/4 of the way through Book II - Mere Mortals. Book III should be arriving in the mail this week. Excellent saga that ties in the NX-02 under command of Captain Hernandez from the Star Trek Enterprise series, the Enterprise-E with Picard and his new crew (minus Data of course), 7 of 9 and a few of the old Voyager crew and Captains Ezri Dax of the USS Aventine and Captain William T. Riker of the Titan -- all working together (along with the Ferengi, Gorn, Breen, Cardassians, Klingons and Romulans) to save the nearly obliterated United Federation of Planets from the Borg's final solution to what they see as the humanoid infestation no longer worthy of assimilation, but only candidates for total destruction.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#20 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 01:19 AM

has anyone read (or is anyone currently reading) the latest installment of Peter David's New Frontier series, Treason? i really want to buy it but i might wait until it comes out in paperback next year (or maybe i can find it at the library first...)

anyway, just curious!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users