Photo

How will the new movie affect your fan production?

56 replies to this topic

#41 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:14 AM

I like the point that Nick Armstrong hinted at.

If an alternate reality is the consequence of something critical going one way or another - Nero goes into the past and destroys Vulcan / Nero doesn't go into the past and destroy Vulcan - then it stands to reason that there is an alternate universe out there where Spock was successful at saving Romulus and Terilynn's Romulans are living happily ever after! :P

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#42 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

Technically if you go by the theory of every decision spawns a new alternate parallel universe, then yeah, that would work, but then it makes it incredibly difficult to reconcile the various timelines that would result from just dismissing certain events by claiming an alternate timeline.

Personally, the only time I want to see an alternate timeline is when a specific event's consequences result in said alternate timeline - not just a choice to disregard something because you didn't like it. ;)

Posted Image

#43 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

Personally, the only time I want to see an alternate timeline is when a specific event's consequences result in said alternate timeline - not just a choice to disregard something because you didn't like it. ;)

Me too. I don't mind the idea of an infinite number of universes arising from the consequences of every action. (I had a dream that this is what dark matter and energy are - the layering of universes as divergences grow by geometric porportions.) So letting Abrams follow one path that diverged from Nero's jump was okay - and if I had waited until after the movie had come out to post Book One of Heritage - I likely would have included the destruction of the planets into my tales because it politically could fit very well within the context of my plots. But I've already laid that foundation and I'm just going to run with it.

An acquaintance is beginning to post a story that uses that same idea from Parallels to follow an alternate u where Riker and gang failed to rescue Locutus...and yeah - the Borg essentially annhilate the UFP. :0 I'm looking forward to reading his exploration of that. But he felt the same thing - that the timeline divergence was caused by a specific and unrectifiable trigger event.

Edited by Terilynn, 27 May 2009 - 09:19 AM.

#44 Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

I posted this at the TrekBBS this week:

Nobody asked me, but I'm going to comment anyway. Ha ha!

I'm a bit tempted to retroactively set Excelsior in the Neroverse. It would have no impact whatsoever on the stories we intend to tell, but it would have the positive benefit of giving us a blanket excuse for any canon violation (or contradiction of another fan film 'verse) that we ever commit, ever again. Don't like our timeline for Section 31's deployment of the Founder-eating morphogenic virus? Alternate timeline! Don't buy the idea that Starfleet's using Iconian technology to explore the Delta Quadrant in 2382? Alternate timeline! Best of all, because the new timeline hasn't gotten anywhere close to the 24th century, we wouldn't have to change one darned thing to fit in.

Plus, Jim Kirk in the Neroverse is hotter.

But these are just my mad momentary musings.

Wowbagger: The Once and Future Prophet of Almighty Tim
"Make as much noise as possible!" --Manny Coto. Ah, good times. Does anyone remember Al Vinci?
Listen to the Star Trek: Excelsior audio radio drama extravaganza! www.starshipexcelsior.com!
...because not enough people have used the word "extravaganza" in advertising since the 1890's. I'm bringing extravaganza back.

#45 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

never done a fan fic, but considering writing something based off of the Neroverse.
Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#46 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

never done a fan fic, but considering writing something based off of the Neroverse.

You should! *whispers* doooo eeeet!!!

#47 Squidman458

Squidman458

Warrant Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

An acquaintance is beginning to post a story that uses that same idea from Parallels to follow an alternate u where Riker and gang failed to rescue Locutus...and yeah - the Borg essentially annhilate the UFP. :0 I'm looking forward to reading his exploration of that. But he felt the same thing - that the timeline divergence was caused by a specific and unrectifiable trigger event.

This sounds very interesting. Keep us posted! :clap:

#48 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

This sounds very interesting. Keep us posted! :clap:

I will!

#49 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:44 PM

You should! *whispers* doooo eeeet!!!

Yea, ideas are flying all over the place, and the first story i though of involves timetravel.

But of course I had a new class of ship I designed based off the large chunk of saucer section we saw above vulcan before I actually started brainstormng a plotline for it.

Regardless, with all the options I'm exploring, I have some research to do, aswell as alot fo trial and error. If anyone is curious as to what I might possibly have in mind, send a pm my way and I'll fill you in. Would be nice to have someone to help out after the ball starts rolling.
Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#50 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:47 PM

I have several points to make:

1) First of all, the original timeline is still around - as the characters said in the movie, they are now part of an alternate timeline. So we can still make fan films based on the old timeline.

2) Furthermore, if this new timeline dies out, and the fans everywhere want the old timeline stories, then the old timeline will continue, just as TOS continued to live in the hearts and minds of the fans even after its cancellation.

3) Last, but certainly not least, given the liberties that Paramount has taken with canon, I wouldn't be too worried about this anyway.

I'm thinking of starting my fan series, but I'm a couple of years away from production, and, by then, the situation will become much clearer. Quite frankly, I think the new timeline will die, along with any other Paramount attempts to revive the series. And then it will be up to the dedicated fans to keep it alive.

#51 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:22 AM

I have several points to make:

1) First of all, the original timeline is still around - as the characters said in the movie, they are now part of an alternate timeline. So we can still make fan films based on the old timeline.

2) Furthermore, if this new timeline dies out, and the fans everywhere want the old timeline stories, then the old timeline will continue, just as TOS continued to live in the hearts and minds of the fans even after its cancellation.

3) Last, but certainly not least, given the liberties that Paramount has taken with canon, I wouldn't be too worried about this anyway.

I'm thinking of starting my fan series, but I'm a couple of years away from production, and, by then, the situation will become much clearer. Quite frankly, I think the new timeline will die, along with any other Paramount attempts to revive the series. And then it will be up to the dedicated fans to keep it alive.

Hi FP! Its good to see that you have a realistic notion of 'paying your dues'! It depends on what you want to do - a live action fan film will take years to build the infrastructure and skill-set required for costuming, make-up, cinematography etc... but other options can build up towards the more complex media:
  • Fan fiction builds plot structure, writing and scripting experience
  • Audio dramas give experience in fan production management, sound engineering and acting
  • Machinima/animation gives you a taste for directing cinematography and general video production
As regards the destruction of Romulus and the effect of the new movie in general, it hasn't had the apocalyptic effect that was feared by some (I'm thinking of a couple of reactions from the fan film community here). It doesn't seem to have driven anyone away and some older groups like altStarTrekCreative seem to have picked up some new blood

Cheers

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#52 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, Kirok. As you can see from my first post, I'm also a middle-aged professional, and I have been paying my dues - am still paying them, in fact. I'm intrigued by what you said about building experience, particularly with audio dramas and fan fiction. I was going to build my experience with short films first, and then go on from there - as they say, if you want to make it, throw some money in. :)

I'd like to hear more about your ideas on fan media, so perhaps you could post in the thread I started - this thread isn't about my global ambitions :)

As for the destruction of Romulus, well, we don't know if that happened yet - we know Vulcan is gone, and we know the timeline is changed, but the idea of Romulus being destroyed comes from the ravings of one madman.

#53 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:07 PM

As for the destruction of Romulus, well, we don't know if that happened yet - we know Vulcan is gone, and we know the timeline is changed, but the idea of Romulus being destroyed comes from the ravings of one madman.

Spock? A raving madman? :P

It's Spock himself that admits to Kirk in the ice caves of Hoth that he was unable to save Romulus (and assumedly Remus) and that is was destroyed by the all encompassing super black hole. The AU is caused by tattoo boy's and Spock's unbelieveable coincidental arrival in the SAME AU - although 25 years apart. They live in a universe where Romulus STILL exists but Vulcan does not. The "Original" timeline is still left with a destroyed Romulan System. That's how the story was left to us, according to the script - which of course, is now canon by all definitions.

I'm just left with a bitter pill to swallow. I used to take pride in my fic works being based solely in canon...now they won't be. I just hate that about it now. That's all. :(

BUT on to more important things....I'm really excited to see what you have planned for your future project FP! It's not a very big community (which I have learned from Kirok) but it's an amazingly creative one!

#54 nwalien

nwalien

Commander

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:39 AM

Hey folks, I know, since Abrams created the alternate timeline (I didn't like it at all!), but this opened the window to bring back Shatner!!!:thumbup:
Logically speaking, in alternate Abrams' created timeline Veridian 3 might NOT happen at all, or happen with different outcome! :thumbsup:
Live Long And Prosper!
Gyvenk Ilgai Ir Turtingai!
Живи Долго И Богато!

#55 Healz

Healz

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

While the Alternative Universe is very interesting,
I still think they made a bad decision to throw out
the whole time-line. Now does that mean TNG, DS9 and
Voyager can be remade as alternative series, since technically
they would happen differently in a mirror universe or not.

All JJ Trek has done is throw open a can of worms for everyone
involved. JJ Trek should be forced to clearly distinguish itself
from Startrek TOS. Because they still are treating it as original
series when it is not- Original Series is still William Shatner,
Leonard Nimoy and DeForest Kelly.

Although we never hear about Kirk's father or see him in the original
series, this could have been an interesting character perspective.
It would have been better to scrap Nero, and the time-travel bit and
factor it as a truer version about the formation of Captain Kirk as we
know him in the original series. I really would have been fascinated to see
a little bit more about the relationship between Kirk and Captain Pike.

We rarely see this, as Captain Pike is virtually gone after the episode known
as the Cage. This would have been a much worthier project as there is a big gap
between Captain Johnathon Archer and Captain Kirk on the Enterprise Bridge.

Also the fact is even in the new movie we see a massive change in Kirk that doesn't
really ring true. I'm sorry but Drop Out Goes to Good Kid belongs in an absolute bad
movie. That really could have been the focus of a whole movie. Looking at Captain Kirk
before he enters the Academy. Also this new movie indicates he met Spock before he came
on board the Enterprise. This isn't true as far as we know...

The JJ Trek isn't too bad although the plot has more holes than a piece of Swiss Cheese.
I suppose in The Next Generation, DS9 the Romulans weren't really used. The only series that
wouldn't be missing anything is perhaps Voyager, as this is set in the Gamma Quadrant which I
don't think involves the Romulans at the moment at least...

Edited by Healz, 20 August 2010 - 12:53 AM.

#56 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:29 PM

I have no problem with JJ's movie - there are a few new universe fan productions appearing - but I thought this was a neat Fan produced video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLNEkXk9vcs

K

Posted Image

#57 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

I don't care about that timeline. It wont affect my Fan Fiction at all.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users