Letter to Many Coto

33 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce2

Bruce2

Ensign

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:19 AM

Since Studios often forward mail to actors and producers, I decided to send a priority letter to Manny thru CBS, Heres what I sent....

"Hi Mr Coto 4-23-09My name is Bruce I am 51, a sci-fi fan, who has enjoyed much of star trek, especially season 4 of Enterprise, is was as good as TOS, even a little better.

The buzz on the net is the movie JJ is doing Looks like it will be a huge success!

Enterprise fans are coming together again to request new episodes, and do to the reruns on sci-fi, there are even more fans now that when the show was cancelled, there have been many new fans, that did not find the show till it aired on sci-fi, who were shocked to find out it had been out there 4 years and cancelled already! I have included a few of there comments.

We remember that you have many ideas/scripts for season 5 had it continued, we the fans would like to know if you are still interested in doing more Enterprise?

Would you be up to pitching the series return to CBS as a possibility for the next Trek on TV?

We are planning a mail in and phone call campaign for the month of May 2009, we feel that with the predicted success of the new movie that CBS may indeed be thinking about TV again, and so want to put Enterprise on there minds.

If we could get Your help and or one or more of the actors, it would Greatly increase the possibilities of success!

There is some increased activity in Trek United Save Enterprise archives, feel free to check it out.

Sincerely Bruce

PS: it could be renamed "Star Trek Federation" and continue with the forming of the federation! As this may sound better to CBS, Tag Line "Following the Adventures of Captain Archer & Crew" would draw in Enterprise fans, anyway just a thought."

Here are the comments from some of the many new fans

This comment was not from a new fan, but it touched me, show's just how good a show Enterprise IS! Veronica:
I want Enterprise back. It was the series that made love Star Trek again, after a long time.

" I just started watching this show last week on HDNet. It looks amazing in HD. I had heard bad stuffabout it before--all slandererous. It is GREAT. I love it. Great episodes so far. Even great that he has a DOG! LOL. There is a real intertaction between characters that is so wholesome and "down to Earth" no pun intended. It really feels like a transition into Ster Trek TOS even though it was recently made. Been a TOS fan since I was a kid. Got my brother ( a staunch TOS only fan) hooked on NG ages ago when it first started. Makes me want to check out Voyager and DS9, too. Just have to find the time.
But I must say it's a shame this was cancelled I am enjoying it."
I didn't see it when it first ran, but I've been catching the reruns on the Sci-Fi channel and I look forward to them.
Not to knock the other series, I love 'em, but I like Enterprise too. Dang it!

"I didn't say I wanted Enterprise to come back, but I do like the show so far. I thought it would be cool to come on a Trek site and kind of give ya'll a new perspective since every episode is brand new to me.
I thought ya'll were probably getting tired of talking about the same old ####.
I am new to Star Trek in general. Sure I have seen a few episodes of "The Next Generation" and a couple of the movies, but I have never followed any of it. I just can't get into the old stuff.
So far, I do give Enterprise an B grade. The continuity of the show is a big deal to me and the show is doing an excellent job with it. On "off shows", the ones that are more stand-alone, I would have like to see the characters and their interaction with each other moved forward more....they just don't ever seem to ever grow.
The only things that kind of get under my skin is the way the captain acts when any new contact is made. He kind of looks around and grins at everybody before saying "We are from Earth". He also has a tendency of leaping before thinking things through....half of his crew should be dead by now (lol) and I am only on episode 12 (I think). "

"I first learned of the show in February of this year. Never saw it when it was first run episodes. Now I use the DVR to record 4 episodes every Monday night. I hate to miss an episode! Started watching during the reruns of season three, saw all through season four, now it seems to be starting over at season one again." "I missed most of the epps, never got UPN. I was really happy that scifi pick up Enterprise. I liked it way better than Voyager & DS9"

"Like most others, I never got to see Enterprise on UPN because UPN wasn't offered in my area. I knew it was out there, I remember seeing T'pol on the cover of TV Guide several years ago, and was disappointed to see the series was being run on UPN. I did see the series was out on DVD, but at over $100 per season on DVD, I didn't think I'd ever get a chance to see it. I was very happy to see the show offered on SciFi and have watched nearly all the episodes, and they go to DVR then to DVD now. ;) I didn't have a chance to catch it on SciFi until around episode 30, so I'm glad they've started over at the beginning.

Its really too bad that the show got canceled. I blame that on Paramount and its decision to put it on UPN. Had it been on a better network, it'd probably still be around today."

"The show's initial run was on UPN.
Where I'm at, UPN was unavailable.
Sci-Fi's airing is the first chance I've had to see any of the series."

"All I've seen of Enterprise is what SciFi's shown to date, which I think gets us just 4 shows into season 3...and so far, I'm *really* loving it. It's my only must see show right now, so my Monday nights are spoken for! Judging from what I've heard about season 4, I just might need sedatives to get through"

"I have to admit, I started watching reruns after watching "A mirror Darkly" kinda like "A Scanner darkly."
Although, it started getting good after Coto took over; i'm assuming he is also a trek fan. "

" I though Voyager was the last trek series, so when I found Enterprise on scifi I was blown away, the best trek since TOS!"

" Yes, I first heard and started watching ST Enterprise on the Sci-fi channel from the vary first episode to the end. I just got done watching the last two episodes last night after I got off of work. Thank the Gods for the SCI-FI channel and DVR. I think ST Enterprise ROCKED and am vary SAD to hear it only lasted 4 seasons. I am also SAD to find out that they killed off Trip Tucker at the end. He was one of my favorite charitors. coming from a good hard working maintenence man myself. So yes I would like to see ST Enterprise come back for at least another 10 more seasons. 7 seasons a show is bad enough. To end it after 4 just makes me mad. especialy when it's so good. I think the SCI-FI channel should take it over ." " I also agree. i never knew until it showed up on sci fi monday here. i got into it then poof. a very sad ending."

" I heard it was on UPN, but I missed most of the show. We used to live in an area that didn't get cable. Once we moved, I started from the beginning on SciFi."

" I knew all about it, and that it was cancelled 2 years ago, but I was living in a UPN free zone at the time, so I never saw a single episode until the recent SciFi airings. I'm glad I saw all the episodes now (well, maybe all but the last one!), "

This was a neat comment even thoug he saw the show in first run " I knew that it was canceled. Iseem to be one of the few who got to see every episode when it aired "

" I really wanted to watch the show during the first run, but we had no UPN, so I did not get to see much of it, only when we visited some friends in another state who got UPN, but since it began airing on scifi I never miss an episode, A couple of questions who was the Idiot who cancelled it? Why didn't Paramount put the show on another channle?, Why doesn't Scifi order new episodes? " 6-26-07

If anyone else wants to try this here is the address I used
Att Manny Coto,
Star Trek Enterprise 2001-2005
CBS Paramount
7800 Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90036

Edited for spelling/gramar and address

Edited by Bruce2, 24 April 2009 - 01:23 AM.

Here is a site with Current Campaign Info and what U can do to help http://www.freewebs.com/stenterprise/

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 John Doe

John Doe

Commodore

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:26 AM

PS: it could be renamed "Star Trek Federation" and continue with the forming of the federation!

I was going to post this later this weekend, but Bruce, you half-read my mind. :)

My idea for the return of Enterprise was to make it about the Earth-Romulan war and the birth of the Federation.
You know, in the ENT timeline, right after season 4, one year later actually, was the beginning of the war, a major event in the Trek fictional history, and, by the way, it is canon. I think this war is the first big interstellar conflict involving Earth according to the Trek timeline, right?

Then, right after the war, the Federation was born. The United Federation of Planets, on which ALL of Star Trek (well, except for ENT as it didn't exist by that time) stands.

Both are canon, both are major events in the fictional Trek universe and history.

My theory is that:
  • Being both canon, will attract the Trek audiences that hated ENT because of the non-canon stuff.
  • Both are dramatic events, and drama gets much more viewers on tv than just "a starship and its crew hanging around in outer space".
  • Although the war lasted four years, as it is impossible to stand in terms of television production of a show, it could all (both the war and the UFP creation) be comprised in just two full seasons. Less than that wouldn't work, as it would hurt the product. Not one season, not movies.
  • I think this would make impressive DVD sales; what kind of Trek fan wouldn't want to own the DVDs where the major event in Trek canon is told?
  • With this, the prequel era of Trek on tv would be done, a closed chapter, to continue then with anything from the Kirk & Spock era and ahead. It wouldn't make sense to leave the two major events in the Trek past history untold.
  • As both events are taking place in the ENT times, there's no need to create a new show for that. Making it on top of ENT will improve the show. Besides, the show is already established, there's no need to waste the impressive amount of money, effort and work that it takes to create a new show that you don't even know if it will get viewers. With ENT, both old and new viewers are already there.
  • With the new movie out there, and the talks of another Trek movie in the future, there will be new fans, and this means more viewers and more people who will buy merchandise, which is what the studios care about.
  • I think the name of the show should remain the same, "Enterprise", but with the new seasons subtitled, like, season 5 called "Enterprise: the Romulan Wars" and season 6 "Enterprise: the founding of the Federation" or something like that.
THIS is why I was asking to send letters or mails to producers and people in charge of the Trek franchise; this has to reach the guys who know something about Star Trek and ENT, not any other exec who doesn't know anything about ENT and Trek.

Times and circumstances are much different now than what they were a few years ago when ENT was cancelled.

Without trying to sound egotistical... (...) I have my own ideas and aspirations which were countlessly shot down in the past. I've no interest in being in that position again.

#3 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

I've always felt that the Romulan War would be a great way to draw in viewers. It's such a major event in Trek history; I think a lot of people would be curious, if nothing else.

#4 Bruce2

Bruce2

Ensign

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

Great Stuff John Doe! Hi ensign edwardsI definatly think it would grab all Trek Fans!

It could be good for 2 -4 seasons, not all war, but continue the adventures of Enterprise as it explores, and gets allies for the war effort (These allies would be future federation members), and maybe a few times a year some direct involvment in the war, The year long xindie war arch PO-ED a lot of Trek fans, so I think to focus on any war for an entire year may not fly. There could be a new small ship whic would be for the war, a ship built for fighting that is small, could be built much quicker than a big starship, and also would be much more manuvarable, and strike quickly.

The maguc of Trek was back in season 4 because the cast interplay dramaticly improved, the quality of the stories got much better, as well as tieing TOS & Next Gen into Enterprise timeline, the great outerspace adventure feeling was back into trek! and this needs to be in a return when it happens.

I love your Ideas and think you should send them to Mr Coto and or CBS. Later Bruce

Edited by Bruce2, 24 April 2009 - 09:47 PM.

Here is a site with Current Campaign Info and what U can do to help http://www.freewebs.com/stenterprise/

#5 John Doe

John Doe

Commodore

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:39 PM

I understand what you're saying Bruce, and I mostly agree with you.

I'm seeing this all not too much from the fan point of view (of course I'm a big ENT fan and I will be until the day that I die) but from the producers and studios and networks point of view; after all, we've got to find out what's the good deal for them in order to improve our possibilities.
From that point of view is that I focused on the war; because it's a storyline that would get viewers, both old and new, and would do good numbers both in audience and in DVD sales. That's what the studios and networks care, and we've got to focus on that if we want to grab the execs' attention and highly improve the chances of getting the show back.
The war would be the main storyline, but of course there would be other stories all along the way, we all know the ideas that were ready for a 5th season, and even better, some of the scripts are already written.

There's a difference, and a big one, with the previous "Enterprise": the Xindi conflict was not canon, and besides was simply a conflict that invloved even a temporal cold war. In this case, the Earth-Romulan war is not only canon, but a much bigger conflict, it's a true interstellar war. Much like the World Wars here on Earth.
That's why this would be different, actually would be very different. One major event that is also higly dramatic and tied to the next major event, the birth of the Federation.

Part of that we saw on season 4, in the "Babel One" - "United" - "The Aenar" trilogy; those were some of the best episodes in the season, and right there, are some elements that tie directly to the Earth-Romulan war.

I'm working on a letter, I want this all written down in a way that wouldn't make a long letter, and that will catch the eye of the execs and producers and whoever is in charge of the Trek franchise for television. That's not easy for me, as English is not my primary language, but I'll come up with something good in a few days.

Keep sending your letters and phone calls, Bruce, and keep going on with your campaign; it is very important.
What I'm doing here, is to play a different set of cards, on top of what you're doing. I mean, the studios and execs won't care about what I'm saying here if many other fans like you don't send letters and emails and phone calls.

Without trying to sound egotistical... (...) I have my own ideas and aspirations which were countlessly shot down in the past. I've no interest in being in that position again.

#6 trek forever

trek forever

Captain

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 12:30 AM

Great letter :D ! My only criticism is that you should probably double-check for spelling and grammar errors before mailing anything out (Believe me, I'm lousy at spelling and grammar too!) but,on the whole great letter :D !

Best wishes,

Scott

Edited by trek forever, 25 April 2009 - 12:30 AM.

#7 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 10:46 AM

I've always felt that the Romulan War would be a great way to draw in viewers. It's such a major event in Trek history; I think a lot of people would be curious, if nothing else.

Frankly, I don't know why they never made it the new movie.

#8 Squidman458

Squidman458

Warrant Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

They should have. Instead it looks like they took the idea and made it mainstream, which will only work for a short while.

#9 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Because that would have made sense. Can't have that.

#10 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:03 AM

I find it rather amusing that when Enterprise modified the Star Trek wheel between 2001-05 and it got met with angry Trek fans and divided fan base etc but when this new movie starting showing what it got everybody seemed to happily jump on the it's bandwagon although it has changed the dynamic of Star Trek like Enterprise did.

Anyway is there anybody else besides Mr Coto that could take any form of Enterprise covering the Romulan conflict?

#11 John Doe

John Doe

Commodore

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:58 AM

I find it rather amusing that when Enterprise modified the Star Trek wheel between 2001-05 and it got met with angry Trek fans and divided fan base etc but when this new movie starting showing what it got everybody seemed to happily jump on the it's bandwagon although it has changed the dynamic of Star Trek like Enterprise did.

I fully agree on all you said there, Aussie Trekkie.

Anyway is there anybody else besides Mr Coto that could take any form of Enterprise covering the Romulan conflict?

Well, as far as it is known, besides Coto, the only ones who had plans for season 5 were Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens and Mike Sussman.

The Reeves-Stevens are well known in the Trek universe because of their writing, and Mr. Sussman is writer and producer, he's been working on ENT as producer, and also as executive story editor, and as a writer, and even as an actor (according to IMBd he played a dead crewman in "In a Mirror, Darkly: part 2"). They all were going to get involved on season 5, they know what ENT is all about, they all worked on the Star Trek franchise before ENT, so I guess they would be the best choice, not only from the fans point of view, but even from the studios point of view. And we all know that they all did much better job as writers and producers for Enterprise than Rick Berman and Brannon Braga.

#12 trek forever

trek forever

Captain

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:14 AM

The Reeves-Stevens would be excellent choices.

Best wishes,

Scott

#13 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 01:31 AM

We are in an interesting time now Enterprise fans, it seems Enterprise is getting it's share of fan interest the question is how do fans campaigning for Enterprise use this new interest in Enterprise for example is it only happening while Star Trek is hot property therefore it would evaporate in about two months time when Star Trek XI finishes it's cinema run in most markets or is it the beginning of something new.

#14 ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike

Fleet Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:37 AM

Excellent idea writing to Manny Coto. I wouldn't rule out Brannon Braga, who I know many fans consider to be the devil. The simple fact of the matter is... he created the characters (together with Rick Berman). Any return would include his involvement (either as a consultant or writing duties) in the same way Gene Roddenberry was credited, everytime his creations were handled after The Motion Picture, or TNG after his passing. Fans need to get past holding grudges, if the chances of this are to ever improve.

#15 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:43 AM

How about asking all of the above figures in letters to mention Enterprise in any interviews they do? Like if they are asked about Star Trek XI that's wonderful but see if they throw a bone to Enterprise while doing that......i don't think we've considered it before.

Connor Trinneer mentioned Enterprise in an audio interview recently, Scott Bakula mentioned Enterprise in a interview too so what if the others in the Enterprise family mentioned Enterprise too who knows we might get six articles in a week with "Star Trek: Enterprise" or just "Enterprise" in it.

#16 Tom R

Tom R

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:14 PM

I think this letter to Manny would be a great idea, someone who may be able to show the studio how many people out there are still interested in the show and that there could be a lot more. Also since it's been off the air for so long it could attract a lot of attention from a new people.

GO FOR IT!

#17 trek forever

trek forever

Captain

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:23 AM

Excellent idea writing to Manny Coto. I wouldn't rule out Brannon Braga, who I know many fans consider to be the devil. The simple fact of the matter is... he created the characters (together with Rick Berman). Any return would include his involvement (either as a consultant or writing duties) in the same way Gene Roddenberry was credited, everytime his creations were handled after The Motion Picture, or TNG after his passing. Fans need to get past holding grudges, if the chances of this are to ever improve.

That seems reasonable to me. I never had any issues with him.

Best wishes,

Scott

#18 trek forever

trek forever

Captain

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 12:20 AM

So when do we make the final decision as to who we're sending these letters to?

Best wishes,

Scott

#19 John Doe

John Doe

Commodore

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:48 PM

I didn't mean to leave Braga and Berman out of the equation; but they've been working on the trek franchise in one way or another so many years, and some new blood was needed on the creative side, at least back then when ENT was still alive...
Anyways, I do get what you're saying... who knows, maybe after these years, Braga and Berman took a vacation from Trek and now they could come back with fresh ideas, maybe they would like to work on great stories like the war and the Federation, and this time they could actually give a real proper ending to ENT.

I'd say pick whoever you want that's related to ENT; Coto, Braga, Sussman, the Reeves-Stevens, I'm sure there are more names to add to that list but I can't remember now; and of course to the execs at CBS, names like Nina Tassler and Les Moonves. I think Ms. Tassler is more related to the network's shows than Mr. Moonves.

Sending letters to all of them would create some buzz out there among producers and execs, as soon as they notice the truth: that there are more viewers now than before, that the topics for the show are very important in the Star Trek fictional history that would make very dramatic stories and would attract audiences, and the fact that if ST: XI does good will attract even more and new audiences. That's what the execs want, more audiences, and they WILL get them if they get ENT back.
It's a win-win situation: they get audiences, we get our beloved show.

#20 Bruce2

Bruce2

Ensign

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

Best wishes,

Scott

The desicion had already been made, but names keep getting thrown out, here is the order of importance to mail to and the reasons why:

1. CBS Main Contact, Reason they own trek on TV here in the USA, also contracts here in the USA for folks like Rick Beirmen & Brannon Bragga who work for a large company (like CBS) all have this stipulation in there contracts, "anything you create & Make while in our employment becomes our property" so while key individuales may have come up with an idea for a show, the studio retains complete ownership of it, and has the sole power over its future in any incarnation, be it a series return, a TV mini series or a movie for the big screen. CBS is the sole owner of Trek of any kind on TV, they own Enterprise, 1 exception if Paramount a sister company or Viacom the parent company wanted to do something they would be given due consideration over any non family member, such as if Paramount requested an Enterprise movie (which they wont as they have done another one) otherwise it is totally up to CBS to bring Enterprise back.

2. Scifi Channel, they do not own anything trek, they merely provide an outlet for airing it to satisfy the demand which the public asks for, so in writing them, if they get lots of letters they may ask CBS to make new episodes on our behalf. and may try to reach a deal so they could air them either as first run, or a syndicated second run the week following the first run.

3. The writer (Manny Coto) as he can get in to CBS to pitch the shows return (which he would be helping us to get the show back) so if he hears from enough fans he has the contacts to get in to talk with the right people at CBS! I picked Manny Coto for the following reasons,
1. because he likes Trek,
2. He did an excellent job on season 4.
3. He has several ideas for a season 5.
4. He has been on public record as saying he can do more than one series at a time!
5. He has said he would love to do trek series again.

4. Advertisiers (at this point not very effective), getting them to ask for the show to come back, now 4 almost 5 years since the shows cancellation, they would be hard to convince to ask for the show to come back, best contacting them within weeks of a shows cancellation.

So the top 3 CBS first, Scifi channel, and then Manny.

If you can send only 1 letter make it CBS!

May is our best shot to get Enterprise on the minds of CBS execs as they are watching what the movie does.

If any can send priority please do (cost apx $5) thats how I sent my 1st letter to Manny Coto.

May all pass the word about our May 2009 mail campaign! Later Bruce

Edited by Bruce2, 28 April 2009 - 07:36 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users