DS9.... baaaad? when vs. TNG?

29 replies to this topic

#21 1701-Z

1701-Z

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 06:20 AM

DS9 is my second favorite Trek, with TOS being first. Like everyone said, it does take a few seasons to find it's groove, but it is well worth it.
TNG was good, but too much technobabble. Trek should be about the characters. That, IMO, is what made TOS such a hit.
VOY was the oppisite, IMO. it started good, and then went downhill. I was never a Seven of Nine fan.
ENT was god, but I had a few problemn, what with it being a prequel and all.

#22 Ben_Jamin

Ben_Jamin

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

I gotta say, I never used to like DS9 but in the past year and a half, I have really got into that specific show. Before, I found it as tedious as Voyager could get, but now it's all good. That said, I still prefer TNG and TOS. ENT I do like but it ties with DS9.

So, it's tied for Third place, with TOS taking first and TNG second. Wow, almost in order. Stupid Voyager messing it up :@
http://ds-10.starfleetuk.org <--- USS Paladin, Sovereign Class, Obsidian Fleet
http://anne.epsilonf...x.php?page=main <--- USS Anne, Ambassador Class, Epsilon Force

"A Female's in the House, She Must be Mounted." - Alan Harper About Charlie Harper's sleeping with Judith's new sister-in-law, Two and a Half Men

#23 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

I'm doing the same thing with DS9. I've never watched it before and I'm currently working on the 1st season right now. I have to say...there's not much going for it so far. Avery Brooks is a terrible actor. He has a voice pattern that, to me, is more obnoxious than Shatner's and he doesn't sound like he means everything he says.

Kira is an annoying *****. That's all I have to say about her so far. lol.

I'm really hoping it gets interesting soon.

Go delete your anti-DS9 persona.
Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#24 Ramius

Ramius

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

Yes, it does get a lot better, but Kira will remain moody. :P DS9 suffers from the same problem as all other treks, it's a bit slow to get going. TNG improved a lot after season 2 as well, particularly Deanna Troi's role.

DS9 is my favorite Trek, mainly because it's darker and less episodic than the others. TNG is a very close second, though!

You know I just re-found this place and I love it. I am amazed how we all love ST and at the same time can have such differing likes and dislikes.
I for one can't watch DS9 at all. For me Enterprise comes 1st then TNG then Voy... , then the movies then DS9. Oh TOS is cult status for me so it's on a whole other level. And truth be told I can't get through so much as 1 episode of it.

Anyway cheers!

#25 essanance

essanance

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

I love DS9 in my opinion it had the best story line of all .

#26 Biter

Biter

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:08 PM

There are two theories about DS9. Some accuse him excessive militarism and the destruction of the idea of Trek, others say it is boring and too sedate. I can not agree with any of these opinions. Militarism in DS9 comes at a time of Domminium War, it is not more than in the TNG and VOY. Yes it is stable because of the place of action but it focuses on the persons what make it is much more attractive than VOY style fly not think. DS9 has a problem of the quality of episodes even not in terms of better and worse season but better and worse episods in season, so have many series. I think it was an excellent springboard from TNG and VOY, which (DS9) was something new, what Trek needed.

I Love DS9, and i Think it's the best Trek ever. not a "sweety" like TNG, not so intelectual "empty" as VOY and more Trek as ENT.

BTW. Friend of my in Poland said interesting sentence: "Lern to love ENT, it passes so quickly." In polish it sounds better :).

Edited by Biter, 13 September 2009 - 07:13 PM.

Posted Image
http://www.star-trek.com.pl - The New site of Trek.

#27 Captain Ezri Dax

Captain Ezri Dax

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

DS9 got better over time. Some thought the war was a bad idea. Still, I felt it was needed as DS9 was darker and a war is as dark as it can get.

#28 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

Voyager sucked the big one, and Enterprise steadily went downhill.

DS9, though, started out not very good but became brilliant - its interplay of history and the people going through history was just brilliant.

I'm thinking of basing my fan series after the Dominion War, by the way, so I may be biased.

#29 Baconnaise

Baconnaise

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

I have to cringe at your tastes then original poster. TNG had a horrible run up until the third season. I was literally bored with TNG half the time until I started watching DS9 which kept me captivated with actual story and continuity. It felt like we could actually live there.
Because Every Meal Should Taste Like Bacon

#30 Greystone

Greystone

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

I think it's a bit unfair critisising Brooks acting, think back to Denise Crosby in NG season one. Troi too the pair of them used to make me cringe at times. They both improved with time Marina as Troi and Denise as Sela but come on.

Avery Brooks plays a black man with pride as he should. I think we are so used to seeing white faces in command that it makes his potrayal different not bad. I really admire Brooks style of acting I think it really works.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users