Hydrogen Powered High-Speed Detroit-Lansing Mag-Lev Line Proposed

5 replies to this topic

#1 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

A new proposal to help alleviate the problem of heavy traffic in the state of Michigan is under way. A company called Worldwide Hydrogen Super Highways says it has designed a magnetic-levitation (maglev) rail line to run near existing highways between Detroit, Lansing and Ann Arbor. Interstate Traveler Co. LLC, the company that is pitching this project is made up of 200 international investors.

Posted Image

Trains would not run on the line but only special maglev cars built by Detroit's automakers. These cars would be powered by hydrogen batteries and recharge using solar energy.

Posted Image

The proposed speeds for the maglev train is up to 200mph (322km/h) although the Shanghai maglev easily reaches 268 mph (431 km/h) but hardly its full potential. The highest recorded speed of a maglev train is 361mph (581 km/h) which occured in Japan 2003 while the theoretical potential exceeds 4000 mph (6437 km/h) if deployed in an evacuated tunnel.

Full Story
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe

• Members
  • 45,874 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

Very cool. when can we get one from KC to Nashville? :P
Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the
earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of
all poems...

#3 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 04:30 PM

For about $7.08 trillion sure :P
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#4 Pyrion

Pyrion

Warrant Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:52 PM

Oh the irony, building a maglev rail line in the midst of the Big Three automakers in a country where rail travel is generally frowned upon outside of inner cities.

So it's taken this long for people to forget about Amtrak? :D
Posted Image

#5 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:03 PM

Oh the irony, building a maglev rail line in the midst of the Big Three automakers in a country where rail travel is generally frowned upon outside of inner cities.

So it's taken this long for people to forget about Amtrak? :D

Hardly the case on the East Coast Pyrion. The recently restored Boston to Portland commuter run is getting really decent ridership, as is the Boston to Washington high speed run. There is also planning stages of restoring the spur from Boston to Concord NH that got torn up after WW2. http://www.nhbti.org/

The group's end goal is to get a connecting rail corridor between Boston MA, the northern NE capital cities and Montreal QC

Posted Image
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#6 tesral

tesral

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:25 PM

I am not holding my breath. We have heard this story before.
Garry AKA Phoenix -- Rising Above the FLames
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
Epiphany Trek

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users