New "thinnest computer"

35 replies to this topic

#21 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, I looked into getting a 40GB SSD for a smallscale server gig I'm building for a neighbor...one I ended up getting was almost 200 bucks...jesus....
I gotta say though, a C2d shakes things up a bit, makes it suck a wee bit less.
I wish laptops were as easy to build and make as their PC counterparts- if they were I woulda made my own a long time ago. ><!

Still, that SSD is going to use less energy and last much longer than its HDD brethren.

Space constraints, my friend. You can build a custom laptop, it's just going to be friggin huge. ;)

Posted Image

#22 fastillion

fastillion

Give, Support, Do. Your actions leave a better tomorrow.

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

Unless you manage to find some cheap whitebox systems and redo those...I know of a few guys that do that. Seems like it would work, but it would still cost more then something like a PC. Hmprf.

#23 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,625 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

Yeah, I looked into getting a 40GB SSD for a smallscale server gig I'm building for a neighbor...one I ended up getting was almost 200 bucks...jesus....
I gotta say though, a C2d shakes things up a bit, makes it suck a wee bit less.
I wish laptops were as easy to build and make as their PC counterparts- if they were I woulda made my own a long time ago. ><!

http://www.tigerdire...a...g-notebook
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#24 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:44 PM

http://www.tigerdire...a...g-notebook

The only difference between those and an off-the-shelf laptop is that the processor is not soldered to the board. And if you shop with somebody like Dell, you get almost all of those processor options anyway (not to mention name brand reputation).

Posted Image

#25 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:58 PM

Looks retardedly fragile. I've dropped my laptop off the backdeck of a LAV-25 twice (about 6 feet), nce onto concrete, once onto a mix of gravel & dirt, thing still runs like new 6 months and 8 months respectively, later.
Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#26 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:06 AM

Looks retardedly fragile. I've dropped my laptop off the backdeck of a LAV-25 twice (about 6 feet), nce onto concrete, once onto a mix of gravel & dirt, thing still runs like new 6 months and 8 months respectively, later.

This is what I was thinking! Underpowered or not - it's like the nano - SNAPPAPLE...like a twig.

#27 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:19 AM

This is what I was thinking! Underpowered or not - it's like the nano - SNAPPAPLE...like a twig.

In defense of all but the first generation nano - they've all be carved out of aluminum. The nano is sturdy as all get out (which is typically what happens when you cut something from a solid chunk of metal).

Posted Image

#28 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,625 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:48 AM

And thus the expense. Billeting metal is one of the most expensive manufacturing processes out there, save for casting.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#29 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:14 AM

Casting is expensive? o.O
Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#30 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,625 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

Casting is expensive? o.O

Well melting metal and making casting dyes isn't as easy as you think :P There is a reason not everyone does it.
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#31 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 02:02 PM

I love learning new stuff...

#32 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 03:02 PM

Well melting metal and making casting dyes isn't as easy as you think :P There is a reason not everyone does it.

I was taught back in metalwork that metal, like everything else, has a grain, especially alloy metals. And that by casting metal, the grain of it will be random, while rolling it, either coldrolled or hotrolled, gives the metal a profile and a grain. And that is why casting is not perferred anymore.

Further to that, smithing metal provides the most control of the grain of the metal, you can taper it at the ends of the piece you are working on to allow for more durable points, stronger weld or bolt connections, etc.
Posted Image

#33 fastillion

fastillion

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:19 PM

Mmm...makes me want to go back to forging apprenticeship....
Ah yes, the best 2 hours of my life, until they kicked me out. God bless the Ren. Fest!

#34 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,625 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:21 PM

I was taught back in metalwork that metal, like everything else, has a grain, especially alloy metals. And that by casting metal, the grain of it will be random, while rolling it, either coldrolled or hotrolled, gives the metal a profile and a grain. And that is why casting is not perferred anymore.

Further to that, smithing metal provides the most control of the grain of the metal, you can taper it at the ends of the piece you are working on to allow for more durable points, stronger weld or bolt connections, etc.

Thus why Damascus steel swords are prized amongst collectors, along with the obvious aesthetic beauty. Casting lost favor more due to cost. It is very expensive to create, maintain, use, and generally keep casting dyes around.
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#35 fastillion

fastillion

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

Not only that, but Damascus steel had a certain spring and flexibility to it, which, as a fencer and general sword fanatic and collector, allows for more stability and security in a fight, as well as allowing for some ultimate assassins weapons- a blade, for instance, that you can slip into the brim of your hat, or place on the inside of your belt.
Plus they look damn pretty. Costly, but pretty

#36 tesral

tesral

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:37 PM

I just don't get why people want laptops that thin. I get the whole portability thing, but come on... it's a laptop. If it's not already portable, you're doing it wrong.

I'm just going to add 30 pounds of junk I haul around with it.
Garry AKA Phoenix -- Rising Above the FLames
Star Trek mort. Viva la Star Trek admiraetur
Epiphany Trek

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users