Why Do You Continue?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce2

Bruce2

Ensign

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

I have been ask thru an email by more than 1 person...

"Why are you still campaigning for a dead show? Especially when no one replys to your topics at Trek United?"

I decided to post my reply here, as there may be several with this question.

It has always been my determination to continue until the next series for TV was announced, then I would quite campaigning for a return to TV, but a change of direction, CBS/Paramount owe the fans of the show a better finish than the crappy one they allowed to air.

CBS/Paramount owe the fans? Some may question that, but yea its the fans who watch and buy from the commercials, its the fans who buy the dvds, the fans have in effect hired the studios to do the shows, lets face it, look at the series that are cancelled after 3 to 13 shows, if they arnt making enough money the studios quit on us. Yes its our money that keeps shows on the air thru advertising and our buying the dvds, and related merchandise. Anyway after a series is announced for TV (if it isnt Enterprise) I will still be sending in letters and making phone calls asking for at least 1 120 minit to 150 mint feature to be a theatrical movie or a mini series, to give a proper finish to the great tv show.

I use to be very active campaigning 2005-2006, but after summer of 2006 I saw it was going to take a while and and slowed down to a pace that would not burn me out, as many others have done.

Some gave up and made no bones about it, some even persecuted other campaigners for continuing.

Here is a big reason I have continued posting at Trek United in spite of there announcement that there part in the campaign was ended...... (Trek United staff are willing to keep the area in a place of high visibility so I give them props for this!!!!!)

In 2006 the topic Anytime Postcards had apx 7,000 views in 2007 it had apx 9,000 in 2008 around sept it had 12,000 and now march 2009 it has close to 19,000 views, this shows that interst in the show has picked up during its run on Scifi.

People are still very interested in seeing the show return, I also have made several calls to CBS asking if they still get any mail regarding the last tv show Enterprise, ever time I ask this they say "yes lots of mail and phone calls."

So even though there are not many posting in the save enterprise area, they are still reading the area and sending mail to CBS/Paramount, so I post where they read. I would be delighted if some of the folks who are reading the forums would post, even better since the 5-8-09 campaign could be the last ditch effort for a TV show ( as I do think the new movie will do well and a TV series of trek will happen in 2009 or 2010) Which mean that behind close doors they may be making a frim desicion on what the next TV show will be by this summer or fall!

I would love to see all past campaigners return to send a couple of letters and make a few posts! We definitely need the support of all fans! :) Later Bruce

Edited by Bruce2, 14 March 2009 - 12:37 PM.

Here is a site with Current Campaign Info and what U can do to help http://www.freewebs.com/stenterprise/

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Sareth

Sareth

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

have courage! I will write a mail and post the topic in my RPG-site.

(replys to MY postings with that romulan database are also low... ;) but I do not loose faith and post further here)
Sareth
Visit Romulan Legacy
Posted Image

#3 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:10 PM

I guess people would rather give you a hard time than actually participate...Keep the faith...

Trek will return to TV...they have already started playing more re-runs of all the other series'. It would be foolish not to put a known moneymaker back on air...especially after the movie comes out. For good or bad, the movie will revitalize the TV shows. I would like to see something that would utilize all the different actors and forms of trek..Why not? What if we had an idea for a Trek reality show? Ooops shoulda thought of that back in 2005!!

You are doing a great job, Bruce2...don't let the dummies get you down.

Edited by trekkin', 14 March 2009 - 07:13 PM.

"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#4 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

The most recent campaigns just haven't been exciting enough, it's just mailing again and again and i believe more is needed to get people to say yes it is worth campaigning for/campaigning again.

Why not ask for an Enterprise console game instead or pack of a campaigning package? Instead of aiming for the top of the mountain start small and climb your way up to Direct-to-DVD.
Think about it, the computer/console market is still booming with hundreds of games across the many consoles and gamers have never before had a such plentiful choices you got the Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii and then you got the PSP and the DS and that means you got millions of potential Enterprise gamers and at $60 per sold game well you got several million dollars right there.......the gamers win and the studio wins.

#5 Bruce2

Bruce2

Ensign

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:41 AM

The most recent campaigns just haven't been exciting enough, it's just mailing again and again and i believe more is needed to get people to say yes it is worth campaigning for/campaigning again.

Why not ask for an Enterprise console game instead or pack of a campaigning package? Instead of aiming for the top of the mountain start small and climb your way up to Direct-to-DVD.
Think about it, the computer/console market is still booming with hundreds of games across the many consoles and gamers have never before had a such plentiful choices you got the Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii and then you got the PSP and the DS and that means you got millions of potential Enterprise gamers and at $60 per sold game well you got several million dollars right there.......the gamers win and the studio wins.

The reason to ask for a Return to TV now is......

Right NOW the timing is perfect for a TV series, with the new movie on the immediate horizion, and with the excitement surrounding the trailers for it, that have been in the theaters!

You can bet that the excecutives of the franchise are allready thinking of TV if the movie does well! 2010 is only 7 months after the release of the new movie, fall of 2010 19 months after the release of the movie, timing for a new tv show is 6 to 24 months, it would be very difficult for a series to come out this fall 2009, it could happen, but Jan 2010 is more realistic, and by fall 2010 I bet we have A trek series of some kind back on TV.

It will have been 5 years since Enterprise was cancelled, in Feb 2010.

The whole Idea behind this campaign is that we need to make sure, Star Trek Enterprise with Captain Archer is on the minds of CBS/Paramount during The Month Of May 2009, but June when the movie is declared a success, they will be moving forard with what ever ideas for a TV show, that they have been talking about or thinking of....... Now If Enterprise is on there minds, we stand a chance of getting the show back!

So Is the show worth 1 last mass mailing?

Most will say yes in a heart beat!!!! :thumbsup:

So lets make the month of May the best mail in campaign yet! Folks with cell phones and enought mints can call in once or twice a week too!

We could come up with something small to mail in with our letter..... Any Ideas??

A small plastic dog?

Picutres of Captain Archer and or your favorite charachter 8x11 in size?

Any one have some ideas on what else we could consider?

Later Bruce
Here is a site with Current Campaign Info and what U can do to help http://www.freewebs.com/stenterprise/

#6 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:51 AM

Hey Bruce, nice to see you are still going strong.
"Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I'll understand"
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Posted Image
"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other, all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up,man,we're going to be something!"Gene Roddenberry 9/4/85

#7 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

From what I've seen, CBS/Paramount probably isn't planning on a new series soon (I think they want to focus on movies), but this is still a good opportunity to draw more attention to Enterprise. The movie will ensure that people are thinking of Star Trek, and, for better or for worse, a lot of people are getting pretty disgusted with the direction the movie is taking, so they might start to view Enterprise as a good alternative.

#8 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:31 AM

Don't forget fans that if the books fail to sell (The Good That Men Do/Kobayashi Maru) then we are in a big pile of yuck because the books right now are our last line of defence for the Enterprise series.

How about this idea, campaign for Direct-to-DVD/TV but also give CBS/Paramount every possible idea to keep Enterprise running as a financial success and right now the game industry is looking very good and thats where the games idea will come in, a few fans are already working on a mock PS2 cover so it can be definitely done by May and since Bruce is asking what to include in the letters then how about sending a mock PS2/Xbox360 cover or an Enterprise movie mini poster or perhaps both, a double strike encompassing two groups of fans and a concentrated effort instead of a piecemeal effort.

thoughts?

#9 Sareth

Sareth

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 04:15 AM

well, good idea - but for me personally (no gamer, simply no time) a pc-game with the Enterprise theme would be... nothing. I think ,only a TV/DVD series can reach enough (also older or too busy) people.
Sareth
Visit Romulan Legacy
Posted Image

#10 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

It would be cool if we had SE fully running in this "last stand" if it is the last stand of campaigning but that won't happen be too much work for so few people unless we can get people coming in and posting, alot of people.
I can give some support from Enterprise News Today and Trek Horizons but we need something bigger to project this hope Bruce has or any hope any of us have, maybe some of the old campaigners can get together here we run a few threads and give this campaign a good shake.

Oh yeah, the Facebook version of Enterprise News Today has a few videos and stuff up made by fans so feel free to check them out makes you kind of hungry for more Enterprise after seeing such videos
http://www.facebook....gid=48121550125

#11 Bruce2

Bruce2

Ensign

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

I too am not into gaming, I am also not into reading, But I am an avid TV watcher, Here in the US people tend to fall into one or the other.

We need to keep it simple and unified, to make it a success, letter writing and phone calls is something all can do.

No harm in asking for the sky, as they could give it to us!
They could give less, if we ask for a return to TV as a series they could do it, they may offer a mini series instead, to test the water and see if there are viewers to support a return as a series, I would not be dissapointed if we got a mini series!

They could even offer a dvd movie, again I would not be dissapointed with that either.

It may be best to ask for a return to TV as a series, then if they offer somthing else, fine, as it could be a step towards getting more!

Not sure how much I can check in, probably once or twice a week is realistic, so may none get discourge by anyones lack of posting here, but take courage from any that post once or twice a weeK!

Later Bruce Edited for spelling, what I could catch :rolleyes:

Edited by Bruce2, 19 March 2009 - 05:47 PM.

#12 ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike

Fleet Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

Bruce, I can only assure you're not totally alone... but it does sometimes feel that way.

A few weeks ago, Tom replied to me in a post over TrekBBS that Save Enterprise has been over for ages. From memory the conversation went: "Enterprise Season 5? TU has moved onto BSG Season 5". I didn't reply specifically to that, and he simply doesn't know the half of it. Not where I'm concerned at any rate. I generally don't phone (not being on the same Continent), but I definitely do keep a hand in where sending postcards and other campaign media is concerned. Happy to cover my own costs to create flyers, labels and so forth. While I generally don't spend all my time here no more, my heart is here. The soul of the campaign can still be summed up with this web page - www.trekunited.com/saveenterprise. Presumably still raising it's web count of visitors, with every Google search result. (If only it could be updated, maybe embed the Direct-to-DVD trailer.

...and CBS Studios still have the power to do something with Enterprise (or indeed any Trek beyond JJ Abrams).

#13 Ted

Ted

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

I think it's much too late to bring back Enterprise, and there wouldn't be any kind of appetite for it anyway. I would like to see them do another series though, either following from the current Star Trek film (if it's any good), or else set at some later point in the Trek chronology (either between TOS and TNG, or else after Voyager) and featuring a ship on an actual mission of exploration in the parts of the Galaxy that DS9 and Voyager didn't get to. If a decent Trek show were to be aired in prime time on the main CBS network it could be expected to do at least as well as, say, Survivor. Enterprise could have done better to if it had been on mainstream TV. I never really watched it because I couldn't get UPN through my cable provider.

#14 trek forever

trek forever

Captain

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:50 AM

I ddin't realise campaigning was still going on-delighted to hear that it is. I'll get back to campaigning myself then-are we just writing or doing other stuff too?

Best wishes,

Scott

#15 John Doe

John Doe

Commodore

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:36 AM

I ddin't realise campaigning was still going on-delighted to hear that it is. I'll get back to campaigning myself then-are we just writing or doing other stuff too?

Campaign is back on track but now it's being run by some people outside Trek United.

Without trying to sound egotistical... (...) I have my own ideas and aspirations which were countlessly shot down in the past. I've no interest in being in that position again.

#16 ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike

Fleet Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

No harm in reminding CBS/Paramount that Enterprise's fanbase does, in fact still exist. Of course, knowing the odds and the economic climate... I'm hesitant in encouraging anybody. But if you want to spare the price of stamp, and the ink require to print a postcard, there's always these.

Star Trek's media profile has rarely been this high, so I've mailed several items connected to my signature campaign.

#17 Bruce2

Bruce2

Ensign

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

Bruce, I can only assure you're not totally alone... but it does sometimes feel that way.

A few weeks ago, Tom replied to me in a post over TrekBBS that Save Enterprise has been over for ages. From memory the conversation went: "Enterprise Season 5? TU has moved onto BSG Season 5". I didn't reply specifically to that, and he simply doesn't know the half of it. Not where I'm concerned at any rate. I generally don't phone (not being on the same Continent), but I definitely do keep a hand in where sending postcards and other campaign media is concerned. Happy to cover my own costs to create flyers, labels and so forth. While I generally don't spend all my time here no more, my heart is here. The soul of the campaign can still be summed up with this web page - www.trekunited.com/saveenterprise. Presumably still raising it's web count of visitors, with every Google search result. (If only it could be updated, maybe embed the Direct-to-DVD trailer.

...and CBS Studios still have the power to do something with Enterprise (or indeed any Trek beyond JJ Abrams).

I appreciate your comments CP, any that have watched the pages views of the save enterprise topics can see them growing in #s, this is what has encouraged me, as it shows that people are still interested in the show, and seeing it do well on Scifi also is thrilling, now with the new movie comming out, I think that Trek on tv is just around the cornor, thats why I feel the time is right for all fans to put out a special effort, in May.

Well back in 2006 I found out that CBS had ask several fan sites to put a lid on the Save Enterprise efforts, and at that time some fan sites were very concerned about other projects that they were pursuing towards making movies, and they did not want to endanger there relationships with the studios, as if a studio dont like you, they can see that your ideas never get off the ground. And some gave in to peer pressure, as SE people have been the but of many jokes for contiuning to campaign.

Anyway it is nice to see some posting picking up, Later Bruce

Edited by Bruce2, 21 April 2009 - 10:35 PM.

#18 ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike

Fleet Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

You're welcome, Bruce. Now there's a sequel rumoured, I wonder what excuse CBS will give for not pursuing more Enterprise on TV? Actually [notices hordes of bashers roaming into view] don't answer that...

A few weeks back, I took some comfort in this article I read.
Sci Fi Wire interview with Scott Bakula, on his CHUCK guest role

"The trailer looks fantastic. And, obviously, [director J.J.] Abrams knows how to make a movie. And, hopefully, he will have succeeded, and the studio will say, "We shouldn't have canceled Enterprise" [laughs].

Although I doubt TV Executives will ever do a U-turn on their 2005 cancellation decision, it's nice to think Scott's remark might cross their mind.

#19 raptor

raptor

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

Why do you continue ?

I believe that Enterprise should be continued in every possible form (fan fiction, comics, movie, TV...). In this way I believe that any serious attempt is worthwile, and especially the ones from Aussie, John Doe, Bruce2... I see that these people are starting to cooperate more and more, and that's the spirit. Suggestion : the websites of Aussie, Doe, Bruce2 could make a link to the direct-to-DVD-petition here at SE.

And : use this place/SE as a platform to meet each other and to promote your different Enterprise projects...

Do not agree with TED at all...

#20 trek forever

trek forever

Captain

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

Campaign is back on track but now it's being run by some people outside Trek United.

Very good then :D . I continue because Enterprise is worth it :D

Best wishes,

Scott

Edited by trek forever, 22 April 2009 - 04:23 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users