The Newsmen

62 replies to this topic

#1 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:01 PM

I love George. He's so dry. And in this case I agree with his pipe dream.

I'm sure most people out there enjoy the occasional Colbert episode. Anyone else know of any other good commentators?

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe

• Members
  • 45,874 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

I wasn't sure before I clicked on the link whether you meant George Will or George Stephanopolous. :P they're both kinda awesome.
Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the
earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of
all poems...

#3 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

I wasn't sure before I clicked on the link whether you meant George Will or George Stephanopolous. :P they're both kinda awesome.

haha. Sorry.

Shodar needs to come mention that Canadian comedian dude... the one who slept over at the prime ministers house. I can't remember his name. I know nothing about Canadian politics but he still seems all sorts of awesome.

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#4 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

haha. Sorry.

Shodar needs to come mention that Canadian comedian dude... the one who slept over at the prime ministers house. I can't remember his name. I know nothing about Canadian politics but he still seems all sorts of awesome.

Rick Mercer?

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#5 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

Awesome guy.
Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#6 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

Jon Stewart/ Stephen Colbert :P
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#7 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

I thought I'd add a bit of Lewis Black in here.

Yay Rick Mercer. He needs to do a mocumentry road trip through the usa with colbert.

-Doctor-

Posted Image

#8 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:18 AM

I feel unpatriotic for saying this, but I don't find Rick Mercer very funny. He has his moments, but he's no Stewart or Colbert.

#9 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:13 AM

:o You might get kicked out of Canada for that! Then you'll have to move to
Minneapolis :P
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#10 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:53 PM

Well, I do like Ron James and Nikki Payne (other Canadian comics), so I think it balances out. :P

#11 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

http://www.globalpos...global?page=0,1

-Doctor-

Posted Image

#12 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

So, did Palin give a pagent wave as she left the podium today? :D
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if your smart. If you have any plans of seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap...Me!" - The (11th) Doctor. [/center][/size]

#13 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:28 AM

So, did Palin give a pagent wave as she left the podium today? :D

No, but she segued nicely to the "Salmon slaying" portion of the talent competition :P

She really shouldn't be using Rod Blagoivich(sic) as her performance benchmark. Competition between the parties is good and necissary, but she really should be aiming higher :roflmao:
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

#14 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:05 PM

Oh My Good Freaking God :jawdrop:

Anyone who managed to catch the Thursday July 16, 2009 broadcast of The Rachel Maddow Show would be treated to a meltdown of Olympian proportions. In a recent Op-Ed that appeared on the Human Events Website Pat Buchanan trotted out that old cliche about "Affirmitive Action" appointments and once again tried to insist that Judge Sotomayor had only the merit of her racial background as a qualification for her consideration for appointment to the Supreme Court of The United States. As inflammatory as the article was, his appearance on Rachel's show absolutely staggers the viewer with the vitriol of his position. Buchanan's arguement, as loud and incoherent as it is, can be taken as probably the most racist thing said by a political figure in this century. His assertion seems to be that because America was founded by white men, and because the Declaration of Independence & the United States Constitution were written by white men, that white men have a "natural" right to sit on the highest ajudicating body in the United States.

Right .........

Pat, I know you just got your hood and robe back from the drycleaners, but I wouldn't be too eager to put it back on yet :P

Oh, and by the way ...... Great job making Rush Limbaugh look moderate :thumbsup:

My Blog

#15 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

Oh My Good Freaking God :jawdrop:

Anyone who managed to catch the Thursday July 16, 2009 broadcast of The Rachel Maddow Show would be treated to a meltdown of Olympian proportions. In a recent Op-Ed that appeared on the Human Events Website Pat Buchanan trotted out that old cliche about "Affirmitive Action" appointments and once again tried to insist that Judge Sotomayor had only the merit of her racial background as a qualification for her consideration for appointment to the Supreme Court of The United States. As inflammatory as the article was, his appearance on Rachel's show absolutely staggers the viewer with the vitriol of his position. Buchanan's arguement, as loud and incoherent as it is, can be taken as probably the most racist thing said by a political figure in this century. His assertion seems to be that because America was founded by white men, and because the Declaration of Independence & the United States Constitution were written by white men, that white men have a "natural" right to sit on the highest ajudicating body in the United States.

Right .........

Pat, I know you just got your hood and robe back from the drycleaners, but I wouldn't be too eager to put it back on yet :P

Oh, and by the way ...... Great job making Rush Limbaugh look moderate :thumbsup:

He is actually a fairly bitter man. Washing out of as many elections as he has will do that to you I guess :rolleyes: The first time I voted against him was because he was a minister. I believe strongly in the separation of Church and State. The rest was because he seemed to get a little more batphlox crazy with each successive cycle :P
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#16 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

Okay, there has to be some kind of competition going on here! Limbaugh and his croneys are now referring to Obama and the attempts at health care reform as a form of fascism and a plot to kill the elderly and infirm. Way to go Rush :thumbsup: Way to make Pat Buchanan look like a moderate :roflmao:

My Blog

#17 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

Okay, there has to be some kind of competition going on here! Limbaugh and his croneys are now referring to Obama and the attempts at health care reform as a form of fascism and a plot to kill the elderly and infirm. Way to go Rush :thumbsup: Way to make Pat Buchanan look like a moderate :roflmao:

Sad part is he has a cache of sycophants that take that as gospel and never back-check the story. Not saying I like everything in the plan by a long shot. At the opposite of Rush we have the John Stewarts' of the world(yeah in some weird twisted Bizzaro turn of events he got turned into an actual "journalist", albiet a snarky one). There is something to be said for getting your news from multiple legitimate news sources rather from a political pundit. There are one too many bloggers out there calling themselves reporters to rely on one source anymore.
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#18 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

Sad part is he has a cache of sycophants that take that as gospel and never back-check the story. Not saying I like everything in the plan by a long shot. At the opposite of Rush we have the John Stewarts' of the world(yeah in some weird twisted Bizzaro turn of events he got turned into an actual "journalist", albiet a snarky one). There is something to be said for getting your news from multiple legitimate news sources rather from a political pundit. There are one too many bloggers out there calling themselves reporters to rely on one source anymore.

Here is an article that puts this type of extremeism in a US Historical context. It basically says that in previous generations this type of border views just wouldn't have got air time from the news media.

-Doctor-

Posted Image

#19 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:52 PM

Here is an article that puts this type of extremeism in a US Historical context. It basically says that in previous generations this type of border views just wouldn't have got air time from the news media.

Oh hell I knew that. Even in the seventies when I was a kid you didn't see near the amount of partisan mouthpieces you do now except on shows like 'Face the Nation' or 'This Week', or maybe the ones that called into the news radio shows like on WBZ up here. Back then the reporters were restricted to reporting factual info, not what everybody and their mom thought of it, because there were no news channels trying to fill a day's worth of content, only network news every 6 hours. Maybe that is the solution. Make all the 24 hour news channels report news every 6 hours and fill their time slots with documentary content like they do on BBC.
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#20 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

Oh hell I knew that. Even in the seventies when I was a kid you didn't see near the amount of partisan mouthpieces you do now except on shows like 'Face the Nation' or 'This Week', or maybe the ones that called into the news radio shows like on WBZ up here. Back then the reporters were restricted to reporting factual info, not what everybody and their mom thought of it, because there were no news channels trying to fill a day's worth of content, only network news every 6 hours. Maybe that is the solution. Make all the 24 hour news channels report news every 6 hours and fill their time slots with documentary content like they do on BBC.

cnn is the worst... who gives a fly purple phlox what random phloxholes are twittering about the news. newspapers and the internet are the only places you can get actual news anymore in this country.

-Doctor-

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users