Photo

Why is there no Sovereign classes in DS9?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Tiberius

Tom Tiberius

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:32 AM

If Insurrection and First Contact take place during DS9, then why are there no Sovereign class ships used in the Dominion War?

Surely the Federation would send everything it had to repel the Gamma invaders?
Wow Harry, you found a woman thats not a Borg or a Hologram! - Tom Paris

Lock n' load, saddle up - Data

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

Darned if I know. I always thought it was odd. Though I seem to remember some interview stating that they avoided putting in Sovereigns because if any blew up, people might think it was the Enterprise-E.

Of course, they could have gotten around that by making the name very clear on screen, but then that would detract from the overall action.

Posted Image

#3 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

Part of it is the fact that the couldn't be bothered to create new battle sequences, instead using old ones over and over again (hence the reason the Sao Paulo was renamed Defiant and given the prototype registry number back even though the class was in full production: so they could reuse old CGI).

In addition, I should think that even though it wasn't the first of its class, it was probably very early in the Sovereign run when the Dominion War ended, meaning that there were probably very few of those ships around.

Posted Image

#4 Chroniton

Chroniton

Ensign

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:58 AM

That and they wanted to keep the Sovergien class exclusive for the films.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Dark Frontier Production Advisor
Unofficial Star Trek: Protector Production Advisor
Starship Excelsior Promotional Graphics
Star Trek Requirius Production Advisor and Graphic Designer
Trek fan fiction writer: Welcome to Romulus and Temporal Cold War Factions.

#5 Ezri

Ezri

Ensign

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:44 PM

That is strange. First they said during TNG that the Galaxy class starship is uncommon and they had tons of them during the war. Do not bye the idea that they wanted to be cheap and used old stuff over and over again. Do not also bye the idea that it would be the Enterprise also.

#6 1701-Z

1701-Z

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:06 AM

I always thought that Starfleet focused on building more warlike ships during the Dominion War, like more Defiant class ships. The Sovereign class was more for exploration.

#7 Baconnaise

Baconnaise

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:35 PM

Realistically I think the Federation would have ramped up production of Defiant class vessels as they were small powerful and took minimal crew to operate. Starfleet or the Federation has grown and stayed in power mainly due to economics and out producing the other empires. Building Defiants and having them in duos or pairs for patrols make more sense.
Because Every Meal Should Taste Like Bacon

#8 BolianAdmiral

BolianAdmiral

3rd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:09 AM

The "behind the scenes" explanation was that they simply didn't want anyone in the audience to think that every time you saw a Sovereign-Class, that you thought it was the Enterprise-E... they did it to avoid confusion... same reason we never saw a stock Intrepid-Class in any of the war fleets... just kitbashes with Intrepid parts.

#9 Antoniemey

Antoniemey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:38 PM

In my capacity as the R&D Director for an RPG Fleet, I have been asked this question...

The answer I've always given from an in-character perspective (and also the one I believe to be true) is that there were only 2 or 3 Sovvies around during the war (and also only a handful of Intrepids, though more of those than Sovvies) and we just happened to never see a battle where one was involved. Probably since the Sovereign was geared towards exploration and Diplomacy they were put under the command of Captains with a lot of diplomatic ability and, much like the Enterprise, sent around putting out the small fires that the war created.
Fleet Captain 3 Tony Meyer
Commanding Officer, USS Challenger - International Federation of Trekkers
------------------------------------------
Webmaster: Antoniemey.com - Founding Member:
Horizon Fleet RPG

#10 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,647 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:51 AM

This is easy, becouse series "DS9" has been created early,than movies "Star Trek:First contact". In "DS9" no have Sovereign class starship. Too i think, what in 2369-year this class star ship do not created. What do you think?

Edited by Martok, 01 April 2010 - 08:51 AM.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#11 Antoniemey

Antoniemey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

This is easy, becouse series "DS9" has been created early,than movies "Star Trek:First contact". In "DS9" no have Sovereign class starship. Too i think, what in 2369-year this class star ship do not created. What do you think?

Based on the development times quoted for the Galaxy class (and assuming that was the extreme long end of the range and that most classes using stock technology only take a few years to design and get in service) the USS Sovereign was probably in early-to-mid construction in 2369. She definitely had to be finished and through her trial runs by the time of Generations.
Fleet Captain 3 Tony Meyer
Commanding Officer, USS Challenger - International Federation of Trekkers
------------------------------------------
Webmaster: Antoniemey.com - Founding Member:
Horizon Fleet RPG

#12 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:14 AM

I've also asked previously why the Enterprise was never shown in the Dominion War. The canon is springing lots of holes.

#13 Chief Cottingham

Chief Cottingham

Ensign

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:06 AM

I wondered about this to. I believe the sovereign class may have been in its later days of construction when the war ended.

#14 Greystone

Greystone

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:44 AM

I've also asked previously why the Enterprise was never shown in the Dominion War. The canon is springing lots of holes.

Not really, realistically not every starship would have been assigned to the war. Many ship's would continue to explore many would be reserved for defence of the Earth should the worst occur. The Enterprise has always been a ship of exploration it could well have been assigned other duties.

#15 Zell Denver

Zell Denver

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Based on the development times quoted for the Galaxy class (and assuming that was the extreme long end of the range and that most classes using stock technology only take a few years to design and get in service) the USS Sovereign was probably in early-to-mid construction in 2369. She definitely had to be finished and through her trial runs by the time of Generations.

To go with a non-canon explanation, the USS Sovereign failed its shakedown testsStar Trek: Bridge Commander. Leaving the Enterprise-E as the first operational Sovereign class. Interestingly enough though, there was technically and Intrepid class in DS9, but I don't want to go missing for telling you which...

Edited by Zell Denver, 12 November 2011 - 06:50 PM.

Posted Image

#16 locsphere

locsphere

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

They don't even use them in video games, such as the new Beta for Star Trek. It is ridiculous as in DS9 I always felt that we only saw old ships. No new designs like the Sabre and Steam runner class. Sure they were there but not as much as they should have been. The whole; we didn't want to confuse people crap is a load of nonsense. I think I can tell if Picard is not Captain I wouldn't think it was the Enterprise. Too see two sovereign class ships outside of the films would show it being Canon and thus a better experience for the Trekkie. We always saw the reliant and excelsior class ships. Those were from the Original series. Sure popular designs, but that shows that the fleet star fleet had was extremely aged and its a wonder they won at all. Even for their ships being updated the average space frame was only meant to last about 80 years. Being at the very end of their lives. As for the Galaxy class it was refreshing to see so many had been built and were being utilized. I always loved how Star Trek was based around exploration. But the need to defend one self is very apparent in anytime line or future. So to see the Galaxy retrofitted with more phaser modules would have been nice as well. One phaser Arc for the saucers Ventral and Dorsal side seems limited. Wish they started making more episodes with more updated ships, while honoring the old!

#17 Zell Denver

Zell Denver

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

I assume the explination for the number of Galaxy class ships in DS9 are:

After Generations, the Enterprise D was destroyed, so Galaxy classes always appeared in numbers greater than 2 to avoid the "I thought the Enterprise D was destroyed". The obvious exceptions to this rule are ships like the Galaxy class Odyssey, but this ship was named as such, so the rule doesn't matter. I would have liked to have seen a Sovereign class though. In fact I would like to have seen the Enterprise E.
Posted Image

#18 Fan Producer

Fan Producer

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

I'm wondering more why the Enterprise was never in the Dominion War.

#19 Ezri Dax

Ezri Dax

Captain

• Members
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Not sure why it was not on the show. Thought there was way to many Galaxy class ships.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users