Photo

Star Trek: Online Hype Thread

8 replies to this topic

#1 fastillion

fastillion

Give, Support, Do. Your actions leave a better tomorrow.

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

Main reason I'm making this thread is there was a lot of scattering of other threads and I sort of wanted to see it all in one single location.
Which, hopefully, is here.

Anywho, I just watched the trailer...I'm deeply impressed, and hope that cryptic (Or is it Atari now?) can keep it nailed down and true to what they've given us so far. From what I've seen and heard, I'm getting more and more psyched for it.
However, I was also somewhat scared after watching that trailer, for two main reason. Number one is the easy to fix one- my computer is crap. Hopefully by the release, I'll be working a steady job (Or will be enlisted someplace where I can get some off duty time on base to play), so I can upgrade the whole shebang.
Second reason I'm a might nervous is that I don't fair so well with MMORPG style games. Mainly, I'm just no good with the whole interaction/teamwork/not screwing it up for everyone thing, but also, and this one might seem pretty minor to most but its pretty big to me since I want to go hardcore with this game....I have ALOT of problems with my headset and mic.
Which means teamspeak and other such programs are going to be hard to utilize, which means voice comm for teamplay might be rough.
Fixable, but still annoying.

On my last thought for this...and its something I've very seriously considered sending in to cryptic....
Even though I myself have voice comm problems, and not everyone is going to be guaranteed to have a headset/mic... why not fully integrate a voice communications protocol? And I mean a damn good one too.
My line of thinking on this comes from playing Star Trek A Call To Duty, a popular text based game. For the chat protocol games, it was standard to designate our comm channels so as to not confuse everyone. So in STOL, my thought would be to have several "channels" which are something like servers on ventrillo or teamspeak. You have your standard shipwide communications, which is much like the comm. badges and integrated communicators. You have ship-to-ship communications, which would be more of a captain to captain, 2 person channel, with another variation of this for shuttlecraft. Have channels for each room to simulate face to face communication, and another channel or two for away teams. Etc.
You can kind of get the idea...it was a thought, and while it would be somewhat difficult to integrate, it would be doable. The biggest problem, of course, is in server-side bandwidth issues, but since not everyone is going to have a mic, it could be a fee based service. Thus, if the game itself is fee based, say, 15 dollars a month, you could pay the 15 a month, or get the integrated voice comm and pay like 20 or 25. Some players might be interested in this, since it would provide a more realistic play experience then say, teampspeak or ventrillo. It would also help standardize those protocols.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Johannessen

Johannessen

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

When I first got wind of "Star Trek Online", I had high hopes for it. From the first impressions I got from various sites talking about it, you'd assume a role, like an engineering officer. You'd have to do your part to keep the ship running. You could eventually "level up" in rank and make it to Cheif engineering officer.

Now when I look at the trailor, it seems everyone gets a ship of their own with the oppurtunity to upgrade it. You can do missions with other captains etc. I guess that's ok, but I always wanted to be "Worf" and run around on the ship enforcing ship rules hehe. :)

I also have to admit, I don't like a lot of the ship designs. I guess that's because I HAVE to have things cannon. :o

But I'm looking forward to it, maybe this'll be the Trekkies version of WoW? Lol.
Lover of all things Trek!

#3 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

I also have to admit, I don't like a lot of the ship designs. I guess that's because I HAVE to have things cannon. :o

They're getting around that by setting up shop 30 years into Star Trek future - 2409.

Posted Image

#4 fastillion

fastillion

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:43 AM

Yeah, they originally were going to do things with ranks and positions, and I must admit, I think that should be the way to go. They were going to have each ship be like a guild in WoW, with higher ranking players commanding large ships, lower ranking players commanding shuttles or joining a command vessel and playing a position. I guess they scrapped that though in two realizations that I came to myself. A), you would need a HUGE player base to do that, considering the, at the very least, dozens of officers on a given ship (Cannonically, doesn't a Sovereign class have 900 enlisted, 120 officers or so?), and that B ), that having, say, two dozen players to a ship? Even if the game gets at least more than a thousand players, thats still not a whole heck of a lot of ships. Even with AI, it would be pretty empty in the universe, or pretty empty on your ships.

One thing I do wish they would do on that note though is at least allow you to do something like that, only in a few given positions. Call them player parties, but have the premise be a few positions that you and your mates can have on a ship, say CO, XO, CTO, FCO, CEO, CMO, CSO. Thats 7 positions that could in theory be played by a player if you wanted. I for one would think it would be pretty nifty, to use some names from TU, to have melvin be Commanding Officer, have Plazmataz be Flight Control Officer, I could play Chief Tactical Officer, and Apoco could play Chief Engineering Officer, all on one ship.

Now, will this happen? Probably not. This game is already almost 6 months behind the original announced release date, and with several changes of leadership, I'll just be happy to see this thing get off the ground.

I agree completely with Johannsen though, hehe, I'm hoping that this is the answer to my prayers for a trekky MMORPG that would put WoW to shame. After Legacy and the blunders of bethesda,if I can at least get behind the helm of a cruiser, warp to a space station, toss a few drinks with plaz or melvin, go out and phase me a few baddies, I won't be just happy, I'll be estatic.

#5 Johannessen

Johannessen

4th Year Cadet

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:50 PM

I agree completely with Johannsen though, hehe, I'm hoping that this is the answer to my prayers for a trekky MMORPG that would put WoW to shame. After Legacy and the blunders of bethesda,if I can at least get behind the helm of a cruiser, warp to a space station, toss a few drinks with plaz or melvin, go out and phase me a few baddies, I won't be just happy, I'll be estatic.

Hehe, I concur. :P

So the world is set 30 years in the future, well I guess I'll just have to bite my tounge and live with the designs then. :D

But I am looking forward to the game. I just liked the original idea a lot better. :)
Lover of all things Trek!

#6 fastillion

fastillion

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

Mhmm. The ship sutomization better not flunk out either, if its anything like a slot setup with a few variants only, I'm gong to be uber pissed. I expect to be able to go all out on my bloody vessel. ><

#7 Tom Tiberius

Tom Tiberius

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

Man STOL is going to be awesome!

Ship to ship combat trying to protect the galaxy from predators! I eveen here the Dominion will return!
Wow Harry, you found a woman thats not a Borg or a Hologram! - Tom Paris

Lock n' load, saddle up - Data

#8 fastillion

fastillion

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

Hopefully....I would love to do a little one on one with a Dominion battlecruiser....hehehe

#9 fastillion

fastillion

• Members
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:47 PM

Just found this on the site, they're doing a ships of the line type thing, showing off some of the hardware.
I gotta say, I'm impressed with this one:

Klingon Raptor Class- Destroyer classification:

After the Dominion War, the Klingon Empire embarked on an aggressive period of starship design and construction to replace ships lost during the war and subsequent conflicts.

Facing the increasing demands of Chancellor Martok and the Klingon High Council to create more ships in less time, the design teams at the shipyards of Ty'Gokor looked to the past for inspiration for new ships for the Empire.

The Raptor class of the 22nd century was a small frigate intended for use as a scout ship. Its limited weapons and small crew compliment made it a ship for hit-and-run raids rather than extended conflicts. It was, according to lead designer Kurak of the House of Palkar, "capable of winning a battle, but not a war."

The new Raptor shares the basic geometry of its ancestor but is larger and packs a much more powerful punch. The ship is classified as a destroyer and is fast, maneuverable and armed to the teeth.

An improved cloaking device allows it to travel at warp six or higher without radiating a subspace variance detectable by Federation sensors and particle dampeners limit the Raptor's emissions of tetryon particles. Ablative tetraburnium alloy hull plating adapted from captured Federation technology allows the ship to fight longer and harder.

Fore and aft torpedo launchers and disruptor beam arrays give the Raptor the ability to take on multiple foes at once, and a disruptor cannon and twin disruptor beam banks make it a dangerous opponent. While many of the weapons on the Raptor class are designed for a frontal attack, it can deal damage from almost any angle and then turn quickly for a decisive strike against a wounded foe.

The Klingon Defense Force is assigning some of its most aggressive and ambitious captains to the new Raptor vessels, and they have scored some impressive victories against Federation and Romulan targets. Captains of Raptor class ships are fond of overcharging their weapon banks for greater effect, and Federation ships facing a Raptor are warned to be prepared for these devastating attacks.

If the Raptor class ships have a weakness, it is that so much of the available space in the ships is taken up by weapons and shield generators that the limited medical facilities are ill-equipped to deal with large numbers of wounded crew. When asked, Kurak retorted that this was not a failing of the Raptor class, rather it was a reflection of the Klingon warrior ideal to fight with honor, to strive for success and, if necessary, to die in glorious battle. "Klingon warriors do not need healers to lick their wounds. Klingon warriors fight only one way – to the death."

Heres the link if you wanna check it out, they even have a nice little pic of it. Looking snazzy, I must say.
Raptor Class- Klingon Destroyer

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users