Photo

Trekker or Trekkie?

115 replies to this topic

Poll: Trekker or Trekkie? (106 member(s) have cast votes)

Trekker or Trekkie?

1. Trekker (32 votes [30.19%])

Percentage of vote: 30.19%

2. Trekkie (74 votes [69.81%])

Percentage of vote: 69.81%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 01:26 PM

So, are you a Trekker or Trekkie? What's the difference?

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 kerisilvia

kerisilvia

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 01:57 PM

I voted Trekkie. I really don't know what the difference is, but I will tell you what the difference is in my own mind.

Trekker: Someone who is completely devoted to Star Trek (i.e. goes to the conventions, has watched every episode of every series, knows Trek continuity backwards and forwards, can recite lines from various episodes, etc.)

Trekkie: Someone who enjoys Star Trek but isn't diehard (i.e. has watched a lot of Star Trek but has missed some along the way, knows some Trek continuity but unsure about others, can recite some lines but can't remember which episode it came from, etc.)

I definitely put myself in the Trekkie category. I love Star Trek but I have some gaps. I have seen all the TOS movies but none of the TNG ones. I have watched all of the series except DS9 (not because of lack of interest but my local channel put it on late at night/early morning and kept switching days). I don't own any DVDs although I did pre-order ENT. Some continuity I'm a real stickler for and others I could care less about.

Anyway, that is my very long-winded answer to your question. :D

#3 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 02:38 PM

I voted Trekkie. I really don't know what the difference is, but I will tell you what the difference is in my own mind.

Trekker:  Someone who is completely devoted to Star Trek (i.e. goes to the conventions, has watched every episode of every series, knows Trek continuity backwards and forwards, can recite lines from various episodes, etc.)

View Post

Well, In haven't been to any conventions (want to), haven't seen every episode (but could tell you what happens before I see it, Best of Both Worlds, for instance), but I still know Star Trek like the back of my hand (never seen that mole before...) and can recite lines like there's no tommorrow (This is not the time to argue about time. We don't have the time!). Anyway, I really don't like the sound of Trekker, and I'm a die hard.
I'll just call myself a Trekkie and leave it at that.

Posted Image

#4 johneh

johneh

Commodore

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:00 PM

Trekker:  Someone who is completely devoted to Star Trek (i.e. goes to the conventions, has watched every episode of every series, knows Trek continuity backwards and forwards, can recite lines from various episodes, etc.)

Trekkie:  Someone who enjoys Star Trek but isn't diehard (i.e. has watched a lot of Star Trek but has missed some along the way, knows some Trek continuity but unsure about others, can recite some lines but can't remember which episode it came from, etc.)

View Post

I think you have reversed the common definitions of trekker and trekkie. Trekkie was a word that got associated with die hard fans in the sixties/seventies, so later, more moderate fans started using the word trekker to distiguish themselves.
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#5 wiegeabo

wiegeabo

Deputy Director

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:13 PM

I think you have reversed the common definitions of trekker and trekkie. Trekkie was a word that got associated with die hard fans in the sixties/seventies, so later, more moderate fans started using the word trekker to distiguish themselves.

View Post

That's how I always thought of it. Trekkie was sort of a derogatory term to make fans sound like junkies.

So I always thought a Trekkie was the person truly immersed in Trek. The people you see at conventions that know every little detail, dress up elaborately, live their lives though Trek. (The people non-trek fans always roll their eyes at.) Its not a good or bad thing. It shouldn't be derogatory. Its just how involved they are with Star Trek. (Although there are some out there tht make Trek lovers like me cringe. You know who you are... ;) )

Trekkers, IMO, are the fans with a little more distance. We love the shows, read the books, go to conventions like other fans, know details and can pick out episode names with some of the best. But we just don't get as immersed in Trek like Trekkies are thought to do. But we're still die hard fans So I put myself down as a Trekker.

#6 kaiidth

kaiidth

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

It's bizarre how nomenclature appears like that.

I suppose there are names for Stargate fans too... gaters or something... and presumably by the end of the year there's going to be at least two factions of battlestar galactica fans...

The term "Why can't we all just get along?" comes to mind sometimes, along with wise words like "before you point out the Bajoran earring on the trekkie's ear, remember the latex Vulcan ears on your own". :D :D
Posted Image

Forum Morale Division Member

Official "Trek United Donation Ticker Watcher Show "-Member

#7 CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:21 PM

So, are you a Trekker or Trekkie? What's the difference?

View Post

It's "Trekker" if you want to be snootie! :P

I don't care either way. We need boths help!
Letters Division Member

Kirk: I take it the odds are against us and the situation is grim.
Picard: You could say that.
Kirk: You know, if Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illogical human being by taking on a mission like that. Sounds like fun!

#8 GoEnterprise

GoEnterprise

Ensign

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 03:53 PM

How bout we Unite this old thing to: Trekko/Trekka or something that goes that way......

Anyhow i dont know if i'm a Trekkie or Trekker. I dont even know who i am :helpsmilie: :P

#9 CessnaDriver

CessnaDriver

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 04:20 PM

How bout we Unite this old thing to: Trekko/Trekka or something that goes that way......

Anyhow i dont know if i'm a Trekkie or Trekker. I dont even know who i am :helpsmilie:  :P

View Post

Trekka , kinda like that. Would an OT be an Original Trekka?
Letters Division Member

Kirk: I take it the odds are against us and the situation is grim.
Picard: You could say that.
Kirk: You know, if Spock were here, he'd say that I was an irrational, illogical human being by taking on a mission like that. Sounds like fun!

#10 CUDA

CUDA

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 05:11 PM

OK, here is one more catagory for those who are fans of the show, but don't quite reach the Trekker, Trekkie level, - Let's just call them Trekish.
Of course, then you'll have to have different levels of Trekishness & . . . .
"Time heals all wounds . . . unless you've got a rash, then your better off with an ointment"
- Holly (the computer on Red Dwarf)

Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere -G.K. Chesterton

#11 ShranU.K

ShranU.K

Commodore

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:00 PM

Well, In haven't been to any conventions (want to), haven't seen every episode (but could tell you what happens before I see it, Best of Both Worlds, for instance), but I still know Star Trek like the back of my hand (never seen that mole before...) and can recite lines like there's no tommorrow (This is not the time to argue about time. We don't have the time!). Anyway, I really don't like the sound of Trekker, and I'm a die hard.
I'll just call myself a Trekkie and leave it at that.

View Post

Either, depends what people want to label me i suppose. I wouldnt say i'm obsessed by it to the point of knowing the books inside out, but i am always scared to death of missing an episode, i also have quite a big collection of books, toys, models etc & went to the convention at Blackpool in 97, Brent Spiner was there :clap: Last but not least i'm desperate to keep Enterprise going & i've never really been like that!!! So its up to you guys :thumbsup:
Posted Image

No chains will ever hold that

#12 SingleBrainCell

SingleBrainCell

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:26 PM

In the tradition of the numerous Star Trek species with names beginning with "T" and ending with "an" we should be called "Trekkans"

#13 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 08:57 PM

trekker o'coarse.
Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#14 Guest_UFP1701_*

Guest_UFP1701_*

• Guests

Posted 10 March 2005 - 09:55 PM

Trekkie:  Someone who enjoys Star Trek but isn't diehard (i.e. has watched a lot of Star Trek but has missed some along the way, knows some Trek continuity but unsure about others, can recite some lines but can't remember which episode it came from, etc.)

I definitely put myself in the Trekkie category. I love Star Trek but I have some gaps. I have seen all the TOS movies but none of the TNG ones. I have watched all of the series except DS9 (not because of lack of interest but my local channel put it on late at night/early morning and kept switching days). I don't own any DVDs although I did pre-order ENT. Some continuity I'm a real stickler for and others I could care less about.

Anyway, that is my very long-winded answer to your question.  :D

View Post

I also believe your description is reversed....

End Transmission....

#15 jacki

jacki

Captain

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:47 AM

I voted trekker, i want to like i'm a trek freak.
"How come the quantum?"

I don't know what weapons WW3 will be fought with, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones

Posted Image

#16 Captain Hunter

Captain Hunter

Deputy Director

• VIP
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:16 AM

I'm a Star Trek fan. The label is pretty much unimportant to me.
Posted Image

#17 kerisilvia

kerisilvia

Master Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 11:27 AM

Okay, I'm a big girl and can admit when I'm wrong. Apparently, I got the terms backwards. If you knew me, you wouldn't be very surprised!! I bow to your wisdom.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I guess that makes me a Trekker then. I guess I can live with that.

#18 Ship'sCounselor

Ship'sCounselor

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:07 PM

I agree, those defs are reversed. Those of us who have been there from the beginning usually refer to ourselves as "Trekkies". Gene Roddenberry said he ought to know, he coined the term-- so Gene said it, and I believe it!

#19 Lioness

Lioness

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,146 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:36 PM

I´m a Trekkie, ´cause in Bavaria, a Trekker is this:

Trekker, broom-broom...

:lol:

#20 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair