No replies to this topic

#1 canadianguy

canadianguy

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hi all,

I've just posted an intro on the Intro forum, but I also wanted to post it here; are there any Trek fans in Calgary, AB? I'm curious...

Thanks!

Joseph

----------------------
Hi everyone,

Wow. Well, to start, I have to admit that I feel really overwhelmed. I just found this board earlier this afternoon at home, and I couldn't believe it. The thought of having other friends into Trek makes me really excited - I've been a fan for years, and I've never had the chance to contribute on this level before - or the opportunity to meet other people I could connect with about this stuff.

I have loved Star Trek (well, the original series, TNG and the movies, anyways) since I was very young (I'm 24 now), and I can't think of anything else that's influenced my life to such a degree. The concept of "family" is probably central to my own personal canon, and nowhere else was the concept better embodied than with the original crews of the Enterprise - particularly in the Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country (my personal favorite) films. When I began to feel that biting sense of being missing something fundamental in my life, the crew of the Enterprise - Kirk, Spock, Sulu, Uhura and all of the others - would really fill that void for me, and I still credit the show (and TNG) for helping to ensure that I grew up with a good sense of what a "family" meant.

I got heavily involved with Trek books (my personal favorites would have to be the Shatner novels, particularly "The Return", "Federation", even if it is horribly out of canon, and, more relatively recently, the new-ish "Rise and Fall of Khan" trilogy.) I also have a real soft spot for most of the music from the series - especially the films. I have been playing the French horn for ten years in various orchestras and ensembles (since grade school), and some of the music from the films was, in hindsight, what kept me so passionate about playing before I started to really enjoy it on its own terms. I have a real connection to some of the music from the series - in particular, the James Horner scores for II and III and the score for "Undiscovered Country" are beautiful, passionate and vital pieces of music, and for me, at least, nothing captures the integrity and perfection of some of the characters better than their scores. Does anyone else really like the music from these films, or is that more or a niche thing?

At the risk of getting a little involved for my first post, I know that I also have to thank the original series for the eventual courage that it took on my part to be okay with being gay. The concept of "infinite diversity in infinite combinations", when applied to my life, made the difference in my personal worries and difficulties confronting the whole sexuality thing, and it eventually all crystalized in my head (thanks, in part, to a key scene from Undiscovered Country) and made me come to terms with everything. I've had to work hard to internalize a lot of what it took to be okay with being who I was, and reconciling it with being a happy, contented, successful and self-sufficient 24-year old, but in the end it all worked out, and I have to thank the examples set by Uhura and the others - and the fundamental concept, set forth by Spock in "UC" that, all trials end, and that in spite of any assertations to the contrary, the universe - my universe - is unfolding exactly as it should.

I guess that's also why I always felt such a strong affinity towards Sulu, since he is such a perfect reflection of myself, my values and my own personality - affable, kindhearted, duty-oriented and always the soft-spoken, slightly-downplated vital link in a chain of people that depend on one another against all odds. Out of the entire canon, I identify with Sulu the most, personally and emotionally and character-wise - and I guess that, along with the fact that I found a "family" that accepted all of me, was part of what makes the original series so special to me.

Wow - quite an intro, hey? Sorry for all the spam! I guess I should give everyone a brief "personal" intro, too - as I mentioned before, I'm 24 and living in Calgary (in Canada). I just finished a communications degree and am currently working in development at a local arts company. Aside from writing and Trek (which none of my friends know about because they have absolutely zero frame of reference), I really am into music - I play the horn in two ensembles and teach it occasionally to high school students.

Anyway, that's me. I look forward to being part of this community. Thanks for being here, guys, and thanks for having me along. It's wonderful to finally know that there are others like me out there. I'd love to hear from any of you - please feel free to drop me a line sometime!

Take good care,

Joseph
joe.bardsley@gmail.com

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users