Photo

Episode Discussion: Caretaker

12 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you rate this episode (18 member(s) have cast votes)

rate this episode

1. 5 - Amazing (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. 4 (7 votes [38.89%])

Percentage of vote: 38.89%

3. 3 - ok (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

4. 2 (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

5. 1 - terrible (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Caprica6

Caprica6

Fleet Captain

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:24 AM

Voyager had the best pilot of any the other Trek shows. It had more action and introduction the characters much better, it also set up the best premise for all the shows of the lost ship. But as for an episode of Voyager overall I feel that it was rather weak, as is much of the first season.

I know there is the question of the Prime Directive in this episode, but I do not believe that it was broken. Honestly I do not think that it was ever broken in the show by Janeway. I don't think that Janeway be thinking this way at the time, but if you do think about it this way, if she wasn't there, the array would be destroyed anyway. By destroying it herself she made sure the natural series of events unfolded the way they would have if she wasn't there. Since the Caretaker's technology was more advanced than Voyager, and since the Kazon had warp drive interacting with them not against the Prime Directive

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Lynx6776

Lynx6776

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

"Caretaker" is one of my top 5 episodes.

As I see it, this must be the best Star Trek pilot episode ever! Here it's action and excitement from the beginning to the end and the main characters are introduced one by one in a very good way. After seeing this episode, I became a Voyager fan and just couldn't wait for the next episode.

As for the Prime Directive scenario, no I don't think that Janeway broke it. They were dragged into the situation against their own will when The Caretaker transported them to the Delta Quadrant. When Janeway destroyed the Array, she only fulfilled the Caretaker's wish to destroy it. The Caretaker was planning to destroy the array shortly before his death to prevent the Kazon to take control of it. Then the destruction was interrupted when Chakotay rammed the Maquis ship into a Kazon cruiser which collided with the array so in a way, Voyager was responsible for the interruption. When Janeway destroyed the array, she simply continued what she had accidentally interrupted and at the same time fulfilled the wish of The Caetake and prevented that an innocent people would have been conquered and probably exterminated or enslaved.

A noble gesture from the Captain, as I see it.

As for the episode, it was brilliant!

I'll give it 5 points out of 5.

As for the first season, it was brilliant too. Definitely one of Star Trek's best!

Edited by Lynx6776, 13 October 2008 - 02:26 PM.

#3 Caprica6

Caprica6

Fleet Captain

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

"Caretaker" is one of my top 5 episodes.

As I see it, this must be the best Star Trek pilot episode ever! Here it's action and excitement from the beginning to the end and the main characters are introduced one by one in a very good way. After seeing this episode, I became a Voyager fan and just couldn't wait for the next episode.

As for the Prime Directive scenario, no I don't think that Janeway broke it. They were dragged into the situation against their own will when The Caretaker transported them to the Delta Quadrant. When Janeway destroyed the Array, she only fulfilled the Caretaker's wish to destroy it. The Caretaker was planning to destroy the array shortly before his death to prevent the Kazon to take control of it. Then the destruction was interrupted when Chakotay rammed the Maquis ship into a Kazon cruiser which collided with the array so in a way, Voyager was responsible for the interruption. When Janeway destroyed the array, she simply continued what she had accidentally interrupted and at the same time fulfilled the wish of The Caetake and prevented that an innocent people would have been conquered and probably exterminated or enslaved.

A noble gesture from the Captain, as I see it.

As for the episode, it was brilliant!

I'll give it 5 points out of 5.

As for the first season, it was brilliant too. Definitely one of Star Trek's best!

Exactly, destroying the array was following the Prime Directive. However if the array was not going to be destroyed by the Caretaker himself anyway, then if Janeway destroyed it, that would have been against the prime directive. Innocent species or not, since they did not have warp drive she wouldn't have been able to interfere with the natural course of events

But lucky for Janeway the Caretaker wanted the array destroyed anyway so she's off the hook

#4 Cptn_Krunch

Cptn_Krunch

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:13 PM

Thar be no whorl but the Great Whorl...
N the Great Bird o' the Galaxy tis it's messenger...
Peace be upon him

Posted Image

#5 louiskaty2

louiskaty2

Commodore

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

IMO better than, 'Broken Bow' or 'Encounter At Far Point', but introduced the Kazon as Voyager's main villians and I would have liked to have seen a little more of the Voyager crew on DS9 before getting trapped in the Delta quadrant just for fun.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I really thought it was cool when you get to see what the Caretaker actually looks like, then it just withers away right before Janeway and Tuvok.
Gone...

#6 Admiral Blasterman

Admiral Blasterman

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:28 PM

Definitely the best Trek pilot. I'd say Endgame was also one of the best finales in Trek history.

(This is my hello world post, newly registered.)
Time travel is scary, by just being here I've probably endangered my home in the 41st century... Oooh did I say that out loud...?

#7 Lt. Tuvix

Lt. Tuvix

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

I love the finally for voyager. Of course I generally love voyager. It's my favorite series.

#8 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:20 PM

I love the finally for voyager. Of course I generally love voyager. It's my favorite series.

Hello Lt. Tuvix! Welcome to TU! ALWAYS good to see a Voyager fan here! I loved Voyager as well. Janeway was awesome! Have a good look around the forum..lots of things to do! Swing by some of our more social threads like the Countdown or TenForward in the Crewmember's lounge section.

Oh...and I gave the episode a 4.

Edited by trekkin', 10 March 2009 - 12:22 PM.

"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#9 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,647 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 28 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

I think, what episode"Caretacer"- interested how too "Emissary" and "Cage". Captain janeway give mission capture maquis.
Voyager fly 70.000 light years to delta-quadrant. Crew meet NIleex and Ces, but too meet enemy:Kazon.
Me too love in this episode: hard situation: alone in unexplore part galaxy. No starships and federation. Fly to Earth 75-years, but crew no despair, because in front of a lot of unexplored planets and technology.Episode were life,becouse this episode about alone and desire return to their homeland: the Earth.

Edited by Martok, 30 December 2009 - 03:26 AM.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#10 Chief Cottingham

Chief Cottingham

Ensign

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:35 PM

Loved this episode. Probably one of the best in season 1.

#11 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

I voted 3. This episode is the one of the ones i like in season 1.

#12 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:34 PM

it was ok but not the best!!

#13 NMdum1

NMdum1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

I think that this might be the best pilot of the lot.

The plot is strong and balances action, the strong Teaser, the space battle sequences with the Kazon at the end and the destruction of the Array with character as well as just the right amount of Trekkian aliens and mystery. The Caretaker with his Array is a fantastic science fiction concept and a terrifying idea, being pulled against your will so far again and then being left to fend for yourself once you got there. I also like the way the mystery is presented, firstly Waltons/Little House on the Prairie-esque farmhouse and barn-dance and the classically Starfleet response to go and scan it. Then we have the body-horror element of biometric assessment and biological experimentation well before we discovered exactly how the Borg augment the body during assimilation. I was also taken with the parent-child metaphor used to describe the Caretaker's relationship with the Ocampa (I wonder whether the writer's had the West's relationship with the Developing World in-mind when they wrote that). There is also a spooky religious element to it which is almost Jonestown-esque in that, what if, after the Array is destroyed, the Elders, decided that the Caretaker wishes them all to die? The search for Kim and Torres is an effective subordinate strand in that it gives us a good view into the local politics and introduces us to the Kazon, who looked far more promising as a kind of group of feuding Medieval Italian princes with small armies and space ships or even alien Mafia dons rather than the Klingon replacements they were probably intended to be. The contrast between the Federation and the Kazon and the favoured status of the Ocampa and the unfavoured, aggressive Kazon is stark and intriguing. Certainly it makes sense that a culture which is focused around fighting itself is not necessarily interested in technologies and sciences which do not add to that, after all, Third World Dictators do buy tanks, fighter jets and guns at the expense of medicines, school-books and tractors. However their problems generating water, given their warp capabilities, is pushing it slightly.

The destruction of the Array itself is not at all troublesome as it seemed inevitable on first viewing that there was no chance of them getting home quickly, nor was the timing too gimmicky or convenient. The destruction of the Maquis ship was dramatic and well timed showing a level of resourcefulness and sacrifice on the part of Chakotay which is most unusual given the rather lumpen personality he became later. The death of the Caretaker was inevitable given the direction of the story, although his true form was imperfect, probably due to the limitations of the technology at the time, I do love his crystalline remains though, very alien. The reference to a second Caretaker is both inevitable and puts in a little bit of remaining mystery into proceedings, as well as the brilliant twist that the Caretaker was just trying to reproduce and the illness which resulted was incidental to that process. The actual death of the Array was a classically Star Trek gambit, the needs of the many, the Ocampa, outweighing the needs of the few, the crews of Voyager and the Maquis ship. It would however have dramatic consequences and generate a decisive edge to the other-wise less than stellar conflict with the various Kazon sects as well as on-going consequences of stranding them all so far from home. Particularly effective here is Chakotay's response to Torres when she asks what right Janeway has to make the decision for the rest of them, showing that Chakotay is thinking long-term now he has no ship and knows that he probably couldn't stop her even if he wanted to.

The performances were universally strong and this is probably the best cast initial group of the lot. Each actor finds their character immediately, Janeway's committed Star Trekkian-ness and self-righteousness, Tim Russ does the best Nimoy impression ever, Robert Beltran brings a lone-wolf quality, and political savvy to a role which promised great things and makes me very sad when I think back about what wasted potential the character had. Robert Picardo gives a wonderful, caustic performance filled with biting sarcasm which brilliantly sum up his understable frustrations about his circumstances. Ethan Phillips also deserves praise for imbuing Neelix with enough mystery to justify his continued presence. Jennifer Lien embodies both fragility, strength and other-worldliness as Kes, it is a pity that the character floundered a little by Season 3. B'Elanna Torres combined fire and brilliance in equal measure, burning Klingon passions, deeply held Human-commitments and the kind of practical effectiveness and creative problem-solving which became her stock-in-trade. B'Elanna saves herself and Harry Kim during their escape from the underground Ocampan city, and its that combination of passion and practicality which makes her easily the best female Klingon yet seen on the franchise. I did think though that Tom Paris was too on the nose, he seemed incredibly entitled, both in his expectations regarding his role aboard Voyager, in his relationship with the dead First Officer and Chief Medical Officer and a bit "poor me" when actually, he probably got very lucky indeed to have avoided prison for his first offence, never-mind joining the Maquis. Harry Kim is a bright young man, optimistic and hopeful and perfectly pleasant. Unforatunely, the character never really had anywhere much to go from there without nullifying the purpose of the character.

I have one singular problem with this pilot though. Why choose a Captain who was originally a Science Officer and generally conducts herself as one to track down terrorists? That was the original mission. It seems like that was entirely inappropriate from a military point of view but very convenient if you were creating a television show about exploring space. Its a leap of credibility which I struggled to make at the time.

Edited by NMdum1, 11 December 2011 - 04:58 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users