TrekToy.com Autism Charity Drive

44 replies to this topic

#1 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

We here at TU have a great community. We know our strengths and weaknesses and we try to work with those limits. The management and members have agreed that as an organization we will not solicit funds for charities.However, that doesn't mean that we can't help support worth-while groups raise money.

We have had since 2005 the TU teams donating spare CPU time for research ( for those newer members you can find out more HERE )

Many of you here know member, Fatheadcookie, aka Mark Williams, he ran TU's forum for many years. He stepped back and I moved up so he could spend more time on his trektoy.com site.Those of you that do know him, know that he is an hard-worker, honest guy who would help out any one in need.

Mark also has a daughter who is autistic.

Sponsored by The Plasma Infusion Trektoy.com is having a fundraiser for Autism research.

here is an excerpt from his post at The TrekPropZone

Hello everyone,

............... This is a project that started over that the TPZ's sister forum Trek Toy.com, about a month and a half ago. The idea was how could we raise some money for autism research, raise awareness of Autism AND do it in a Trek kind of way. I started writing down ideas and making phone calls. About the time that I got to thinking, there was no way that I could come up with a really great Trek style grand prize, Bill Phelan at The Plasma Infusion came through in a bigger way then I would have ever thought. Bill has donated at NO Cost either a MR Assault Phaser OR a MR Mark IX Tricorder!!

Members of the TrekToy.com, The TrekPropZone and members of Starfleet Command have already given their support.

I personally support what Mark is doing and invite other members of TrekUnited to help out as well.Who knows besides supporting a worth-while organization you may end up with a highly collectible Master Replica prop..

To donate got to TrekToy.com

To learn more about Autism go to the Autism Research Institute

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:34 PM

Wow thanks Bill for your kinds words. Yes some of you that go back a day or two will remember the name Fatheadcookie or FHC as it was shortened in the later years after I moved over from the Save Enterprise forum. :)

I want to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to look at the page if you donate or not. The biggest issue that I want to bring forth is that this is a real problem. My wife works with special needs children, as well as my daughter. I have watched this go from something that I had never heard of, to something that I hear all around me. Please don't forget those around you as well in you local areas. I volunteer 2X a year and help the Hopewell Center in my hometown. It doesn't always take money to help, just a little time.

Again, thanks for taking the time to read this.

Posted Image

Mark

Posted Image

#3 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:35 PM

Something great has happened. :)

Ok here is the latest, as posted on the Trek Toy.com web page located at http://www.trektoy.com/autism please see the page for more details.

Our thanks go to Bill Phelan owner of the Plasma Infusion for his generous donation. Bill also contacted the fine folks at Master Replicas and they have offered to contribute to the fundraiser as well. So, with this turn of events we can now offer both (rather then one or the other like before) the Master Replicas Assault Phaser AND the Master Replicas Mark IX Tricorder in our drawing!! We can’t thank Bill and Master Replicas enough for this. With this addition, there have been some good changes to the drawings, so please read below.

The following is how the drawings are going to work.

The First Place Winner gets their pick between the Assault Phaser or the Mark IX Tricorder!

The Second Place Winner gets the remaining Master Replicas Item!

The Third Place Winner receives the DST Phaser / Communicator combo pack contributed by Trek Toy.com!

-------------------------------------------------------------

So, for as little as a one dollar donation you could win a MR Phaser or Com. Even one dollar helps. :)

Posted Image

#4 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:40 PM

Awesome!

Posted Image

#5 Bill

Bill

• Managment
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:24 PM

Update as of 5 PM this evening 355.21 already raised. Nice start.

Life is a con

#6 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Bill,

Today's updated total as of 11:26 PM EST $383.74

http://www.trektoy.c...l-donations.htm

Edited by Fatheadcookie, 04 October 2008 - 10:28 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:18 PM

Tonight's update

$472.53

Oh and thanks Captain Hair for your donation!

Posted Image

#8 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:13 PM

New Items added to the drawing thanks to Chuck from Diamond Select Toys!!

http://www.trektoy.com/autism/

Today's total

$481.84

Posted Image

#9 Bill

Bill

• Managment
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:37 PM

Thanks for the update Mark, I just updated my paypal acct and once confirmed my donation will be along.

Life is a con

#10 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:27 PM

Let me go ahead and thank you now Bill :)

Today's total, with one week down, $545.69!!!

Posted Image

#11 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:45 PM

Woo Hoo - I'm in!

#12 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:09 PM

Today's total $662.49 :)

Posted Image

#13 Bill

Bill

• Managment
  • 5,050 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:39 PM

I just sent my donation in.
Thank you TL for your help in this fund raising drive. :thumbsup:

Life is a con

#14 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

Woo Hoo - I'm in!

YES thank you!!!

Total Donated = $877.45 as of today!!

Posted Image

#15 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 02:27 PM

Wow, this it going quite well! :D

Posted Image

#16 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

Total Donated = $886.86

EChecks not cleared and so not added in at this time = $29.00

Posted Image

#17 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:32 PM

Total Donated = $929.85

EChecks not cleared and so not added in at this time = $29.00

+ $12.00 more that just now came in.

Posted Image

#18 Fatheadcookie

Fatheadcookie

Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

This was part of Newsletter that Master Replicas sent out today. I thought it was very cool of them to not only help with the drawing, but to mention it in their newsletter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trektoy.com is hosting their First Annual Trek Toy Charity Drive and Master Replicas is proud to announce their involvement in raising awareness about Autism. Please be sure to participate, not only will you be helping with a great cause but you also have a chance to win a Star Trek Assault Phaser and a Mark IX Science Tricorder by donating.

From Trektoy.com:

For this very first fundraiser (we hope to try this yearly), I would like to thank two friends by the names of Jeremy (moderator for the Trektoy.com forum) and Bill Phelan (owner of the Plasma Infusion) for their help and allowing me to do this for a cause that is close to my heart.

That's my daughter Sarah in the video with me (trying very hard to give me "bunny ears") and she has Autism. We had suspected something for along time and we had an official diagnoses just before her 4th birthday. I'm very lucky that she is not nearly as severe as some of the children that my wife works with as a special needs assistant. Still, she has huge problems to overcome in areas where she needs to communicate with others. Her understanding of what she hears is good, but communicating outward to the world around her is difficult for her. She never spoke a word until she was a little over 4 years old and the first thing she said was an entire sentence. After that it was a word here or there like a child of 2 or so. She's 14 now and still has much work to do, but she is very lucky to have caring people around her that work with her everyday.

Part of the idea behind this fundraiser (beyond the obvious fundraising) is to also raise awareness about Autism. It is currently estimated that 1 in 150 children born today have some form of Autism. If you care to do some reading on Autism,

http://www.autism.com ,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism ,
http://www.autism-so...site/PageServer

are just a few of the many places to start. With no disrespect to anyone, the movie Rain Man does not define Autism, so again, I encourage everyone to read about it. Also, CLICK HERE for a short video from Jeremy about Autism.

All the funds (less PayPal fees which we cannot control) raised from this fundraiser will be donated to the Autism Research Institute. We invite you to read about them and the great work they do at http://www.autism.com

Mark Williams / FHC on the Trek Toy Forum.
Owner www.trektoy.com

Click here for more information and to participate

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI Everyone,

As of 7:37 pm EST

Total Donated = $1,001.57

YEAH!!

Posted Image

#19 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:38 PM

Wow, that's pretty awesome!