#1 Williams

Williams

'Slice of Sci Fi' News Team 'Doctor Who' Researc

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

*gives the TNG section a quick dust off*

So with the following speculation:

"...It should be noted that, all through this panel, those on stage referred to HD-DVD and "the other format." But they never indicated whether a Blu-ray Disc was being planned, and never actually mentioned Blu-ray by name. Inevitably, someone in the audience finally asked them directly about Blu-ray Disc during the Q&A session that followed (and, interestingly, there was a smattering of cheers and applause from the audience when the question was raised). The panelists admitted that one was currently "under consideration," presumably for 2008. They also revealed that Seasons Two and Three were expected to start production this week. They further revealed that tests had been done for a possible future Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered effort." - (www.thedigitalbits.com)

Would you buy? What do you think of all the remastering efforts? Are you really bothered.

Personally after spending a lot of money on the Collectors edition of every season it would have to be pretty special improvement, i just have a feeling that although it will look nice and all it wont be as spectaular as the TOS update in appearance.

(The sooner some of the seasons come to Blu Ray the better imho - at least so I can rent them!.)

"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King.

Posted Image- Targ & Duck Pub! Now open for business :)

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 IndyV72

IndyV72

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:41 PM

Yes, I would, especially on Blu-Ray!

"It's not easy being green..."
...But at least I have my Fedora and whip to make it easier!

Posted Image

#3 Hamilton

Hamilton

Commodore

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

I'd get it... as soon as I finish paying off my bills. ;)

#4 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:50 AM

Yeah I would rent/buy some episodes but need to get a Blue Ray player first.
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#5 louiskaty2

louiskaty2

Commodore

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:26 AM

(The sooner some of the seasons come to Blu Ray the better imho - at least so I can rent them!.)
[/size][/size]

Are you finding many places that are renting the boxed sets? Did you find TOS seasons 1 & 2 for rent?
Gone...

#6 Williams

Williams

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

Yup, theres a site in the UK Called LoveFilm.com They just send it to the house... actually thankyou for reminding me I was meant to mail them back! :o.. Sadly I only get it 3 disks at a time and I dont have a HDDVD player so I can only watch the DVD side. Which is why I want Blu Ray releases pronto!

Unfortunetly they don't operate in the USA, just here, the nordic countries and germany.

#7 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:14 AM

Yup, theres a site in the UK Called LoveFilm.com They just send it to the house... actually thankyou for reminding me I was meant to mail them back! :o.. Sadly I only get it 3 disks at a time and I dont have a HDDVD player so I can only watch the DVD side. Which is why I want Blu Ray releases pronto!

Unfortunetly they don't operate in the USA, just here, the nordic countries and germany.

We've got a similar company called Netflix over here. Actually, after some quick research, it seems that Netflix predated LoveFilm by six years (1997 vs 2003).

As for remastered TNG... I would only put the money down for it in glorious high definition. Anything less would be wholly unacceptable in this day and age.

Posted Image

#8 Williams

Williams

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:26 AM

We've got a similar company called Netflix over here. Actually, after some quick research, it seems that Netflix predated LoveFilm by six years (1997 vs 2003).

As for remastered TNG... I would only put the money down for it in glorious high definition. Anything less would be wholly unacceptable in this day and age.

Weeelll it seemed new to us anyway :P, i think I have heard of it.

Oh yea totally, a remastered TNG would have to put the CGI scenes into ENT or even Nemisis quality and be in HD and to come with a bundle of extras to make me hand over my ever diminishing cash reserves.

#9 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

Yeah, I might. But only for a HD-remastered version.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#10 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:39 PM

After seeing the Enterprise D in TATV on my blu-ray player...I'd have to say - if they go blu-ray - I buy.

#11 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:13 PM

After seeing the Enterprise D in TATV on my blu-ray player...I'd have to say - if they go blu-ray - I buy.

And even then, you weren't seeing it in actual high definition - if you can catch that episode in HD on HDNet or something, you'll be amazed by the detail in that model. Wow.

Posted Image

#12 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

I generally don't have the money for DVDs, but assuming I did, I would be the first in line to get remastered TNG. I love TNG, but it would take it to another level to give it modern effects. There are some early episodes that look so cheesy by modern standards that I can't take them seriously anymore ("Arsenal of Freedom" comes to mind). Not to mention how awesome "The Best of Both Worlds" would be with better effects.

#13 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

I generally don't have the money for DVDs, but assuming I did, I would be the first in line to get remastered TNG. I love TNG, but it would take it to another level to give it modern effects. There are some early episodes that look so cheesy by modern standards that I can't take them seriously anymore ("Arsenal of Freedom" comes to mind). Not to mention how awesome "The Best of Both Worlds" would be with better effects.

Arsenal of Freedom is one of my all time faves - strictly for the story of it. I look back on this now and you have to understand ee - they look cheap (godawful is a better term) but back in the 80s...we ate this stuff up.

I would adore a brush up!

Edited by Terilynn, 01 October 2008 - 12:18 PM.

#14 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

Arsenal of Freedom is one of my all time faves - strictly for the story of it. I look back on this now and you have to understand ee - they look cheap (godawful is a better term) but back in the 80s...we ate this stuff up.

I understand. I always liked the story, and the effects didn't used to bother me, but nowadays I have trouble putting up with them.

#15 Williams

Williams

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:18 PM

Although the modern effects would be an awsome addition and I would at least rent it! But I guess im a purist.. I would always keep the original versions along side it. Thats the way it was all originaly invisioned by those who created it.. and although wieghed down by the technology of the time they did an amiable job! I mean look at the head-exploding event in 'Conspiracy', hailed as a triumph in special effects... alright alright almost laughable now.. but I want to remember that stuff now. Bizzarly.. i'm probably one of the few people here who wasnt even alive when these episodes where first broadcast!

#16 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:04 PM

Bizzarly.. i'm probably one of the few people here who wasnt even alive when these episodes where first broadcast!

:P

Do I need to spank you young man?

#17 IndyV72

IndyV72

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:16 PM

The prices there are largely due to the VAT though. Were it not for that their prices would be no worse than ours.

Holy Phlox!

"It's not easy being green..."
...But at least I have my Fedora and whip to make it easier!

Posted Image

#18 Williams

Williams

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:21 PM

:P

Do I need to spank you young man?

:rolleyes:

I mean... no... maaaaaam'. *kicks floor sheepishly*

#19 Dr EMH

Dr EMH

Commander

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:40 AM

Would you buy? What do you think of all the remastering efforts?

Like Watto told Qui-Gon Jinn, "No, I won't!"

U see it once, u see it all ... no pointing wasting $$$ on same story over and over again.
I'm a doctor, not a door stop. [ST:FC]

Singapore Star Trek Fansite ... www.startrek.sg ... for the fans, by the fans.

#20 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

Yeah, I might. But only for a HD-remastered version.

Same sentiment here. Although I LOVE the idea...especially for a few of the first season episodes.

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users