Trek haters

55 replies to this topic

#1 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

Of course one of my jobs is working at a high school, so of course students are gonna be a-holes anyways, but from a wide range of ages i have always had people hating on me when I even mention the words "Star Trek". It's so odd to me that for such a popular franchise and a huge fanbase there are so many out there that hate it too. of course these are usuaully idiots that have never even bothered watching one episode to see what its all about. Anyways, do you deal with this as often as me? How do you deal wth it? It's usually upsetting that it has kept my friend count at a minimal over the years cause people don't seem to want to have anything to do with me when the know I am a Trekkie, and its not like they see me in uniform with a phaser, say the words "Star Trek" and that sets em off...what gives?

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 12:51 AM

I just tend not to talk about my Trek or other sci-fi fandom that much. I've mentioned that I mainly watch sci-fi at work, but didn't get any particular reaction one way or the other.

My sister doesn't hate sci-fi, but she doesn't get it either. She can't see past the fantastic looking exteriors to see how they parallel humanity, I just think it's her loss. That said, I'm completely baffled as to what she sees in shows like Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#3 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:05 AM

Very few folks outside my TU crowd know how much I love Star Trek. Those of us who share the adventure tend to talk when there are no obvious haters around. Even at church, I have about 8-10 Trek fans that found out about my love for the shows/movies etc. after I wore a t-shirt with the words Qapla Balthe je on the front. I have a wonderful digital scrapbook of Trek photos from The Tour in Long Beach. Some of my friends who were secret Trekkies came forth once they saw the album.

I've learned that it's one of those things that people either love or hate, but there tends to be no middle ground. I also think it's something that most people just don't understand. Their inability to comprehend the vastness of our created universe probably intimidates them.

It's also what makes TU and a few other places, great fun. Frankly, I'd just enjoy the ride, knowing that you are better for all the great imaginary places you've gone to, worlds you've discovered, species you've identified with, inconsistencies you've uncovered, characters you've grown fond of - and some you wished never existed.

ST is far deeper than Sex & the City or Desperate Housewives like Maneth mentioned above. I think it's pretty darn cool that we can have an indepth conversation about the Beta Quadrant knowing that it is 1/4 of the Milky Way usually shown in the lower-right on maps of the galaxy. We can discuss the empires of Klingon and Romulan and even the Tholians that make their home here. We can talk about the fact that even the Federation extends a bit into the Beta Quadrant, though it is contained mostly within the Alpha Quadrant and we know that planets in the beta quadrant include Andoria, Qo'noS, Risa, Romulus and Remus.

What indepth discussion can you have about Desperate Housewives? Uh, ... none.

We are a unique brand of people that span the world united by the vision of Gene Roddenberry. Rock on!
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#4 Section47

Section47

Ensign

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:29 AM

There's a very strange and unfortunate stigma attached to Star Trek in many people's eyes that I think for all the Abrams-style, populist re-inventions - will never truly go away, and it's a shame.

I don't think it's so much people hate Star Trek as they're afraid of it. A lot of it is about image. I got so much stick at school for being known to buy Star Trek videos, attend memorabilia collections, wear a DS9 uniform, write Trek stories (all of which I did). For fear of bullying, I had to try and deny a lot of it - only very few friends who either liked it too or didn't judge I told. Everyone else saw Trek as the epitome of geekery - and it's not just schoolkids either. I don't mention I enjoy Trek now as a 26 year old man to many people my age and older for similar reasons.

It's very odd. Star Wars should really have the same kind of rep but it's always been populist and it's kind of chic to like it, cool to dress up as a Stormtrooper or a Jedi. If you tried - outside of organised Trek events - to dress up as a Starfleet Captain or a Klingon, you'd be ridiculed. It's sadly the way the world is and I don't think it'll change anytime soon.
Posted Image

MZP: Fiction never tasted so good!

#5 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

I'm completely baffled as to what she sees in shows like Sex and the City and Desperate Housewives.

It's amazing how (and I hope I am not offending anyone by saying this) "slutty" tv can be so popular sometimes.

Very few folks outside my TU crowd know how much I love Star Trek. Those of us who share the adventure tend to talk when there are no obvious haters around. Even at church, I have about 8-10 Trek fans that found out about my love for the shows/movies etc. after I wore a t-shirt with the words Qapla Balthe je on the front. I have a wonderful digital scrapbook of Trek photos from The Tour in Long Beach. Some of my friends who were secret Trekkies came forth once they saw the album.

I've learned that it's one of those things that people either love or hate, but there tends to be no middle ground. I also think it's something that most people just don't understand. Their inability to comprehend the vastness of our created universe probably intimidates them.

It's also what makes TU and a few other places, great fun. Frankly, I'd just enjoy the ride, knowing that you are better for all the great imaginary places you've gone to, worlds you've discovered, species you've identified with, inconsistencies you've uncovered, characters you've grown fond of - and some you wished never existed.

ST is far deeper than Sex & the City or Desperate Housewives like Maneth mentioned above. I think it's pretty darn cool that we can have an indepth conversation about the Beta Quadrant knowing that it is 1/4 of the Milky Way usually shown in the lower-right on maps of the galaxy. We can discuss the empires of Klingon and Romulan and even the Tholians that make their home here. We can talk about the fact that even the Federation extends a bit into the Beta Quadrant, though it is contained mostly within the Alpha Quadrant and we know that planets in the beta quadrant include Andoria, Qo'noS, Risa, Romulus and Remus.

What indepth discussion can you have about Desperate Housewives? Uh, ... none.

We are a unique brand of people that span the world united by the vision of Gene Roddenberry. Rock on!

All very well said.

For fear of bullying, I had to try and deny a lot of it - only very few friends who either liked it too or didn't judge I told. Everyone else saw Trek as the epitome of geekery - and it's not just schoolkids either. I don't mention I enjoy Trek now as a 26 year old man to many people my age and older for similar reasons.

Yes, I went through the same scenerios in school, and it wasn't just the kids, I remember my English teacher joining in with them sometimes when I turned in a creative writng assignment based on Star Trek.

It's very odd. Star Wars should really have the same kind of rep but it's always been populist and it's kind of chic to like it, cool to dress up as a Stormtrooper or a Jedi. If you tried - outside of organised Trek events - to dress up as a Starfleet Captain or a Klingon, you'd be ridiculed. It's sadly the way the world is and I don't think it'll change anytime soon.

I'm a fan of Star Wars too, and I tend to get similar reactions. The only difference I've noticed is when a Star Wars movie comes out suddenly everyone's excited to see it, but when a Star Trek movie comes out it's all hush hush laugh laugh.

Posted Image

#6 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

I've never really noticed. Of course, there's always the stigma so that when you say, "I'm a Trekkie," certain people will form a certain opinion about you, but I tend to hang out with a lot of nerds or people who like nerds and not many people outside of that circle know.
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#7 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:28 PM

I've never really noticed. Of course, there's always the stigma so that when you say, "I'm a Trekkie," certain people will form a certain opinion about you, but I tend to hang out with a lot of nerds or people who like nerds and not many people outside of that circle know.

Same. I've never really come across people who hate the greatness that is Trek. Of course, I don't usually associate with those who would frown upon such nerdiness. The worst reaction I usually get is, "Oh, I've never really watched any Star Trek..."

I suppose that, if I cared enough to atually strike up a conversation with someone so blatantly out of my social league, I might get the ,"Eww," reaction upon bringing up the subject of Star Trek.
Posted Image

#8 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,337 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:41 PM

I never told people but that was just becouse I never talked much about what you see on TV. I kinda think everyone knows I do love Scifi by now. Sometimes you get some ignorant responses, like but it's not real or realistic... :blink:dude they had mobile phone with the works at TOS :blink: But most of the time you get silly responses from people with no passions :huh: or a passion for things like the bold and beautifull.
"Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I'll understand"
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Posted Image
"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other, all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up,man,we're going to be something!"Gene Roddenberry 9/4/85

#9 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 07:44 PM

Same. I've never really come across people who hate the greatness that is Trek. Of course, I don't usually associate with those who would frown upon such nerdiness. The worst reaction I usually get is, "Oh, I've never really watched any Star Trek..."

Yup. Which is actually a surprising amount of people. I believe there are certain books that everyone should be forced to read, and I guess that applies to film and television as well :nod: Some people never get the opportunity, some choose not to (I know I did until a friend was like, "You've never seen Star Trek?!"), so it amounts to a nerd thing, but like Plaz said, I usually don't get anything beyond, "Never seen it." I've actually gotten a, "It's really sad that I don't know what you're talking about," from someone after Trek jokes, too.
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

#10 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

I have got the "never seen it" response as well. Only my friends know I love Star Trek.
I don't mention that I am a Star Trek fan at work, I get on well with most co workers and don't want to ruin that.
There is one guy at work who really loves Star Wars. He was very excited when the last movie came out. Now that the new Star Trek movie is coming he doesn't mention it at all. This guy also loves to watch a lot of movies. We will see if he mentions Star Trek closer to the release date.
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#11 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

I've got an amigo with an encyclopedic knowledge of Star Wars, but at least he knows enough to have seen some Trek and compare the two. He just doesn't go gaga over it like I do :P And, of course, I know enough Wars mythos that we can converse fluently in the other's language :lol:

#12 Barbara

Barbara

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

It's amazing how (and I hope I am not offending anyone by saying this) "slutty" tv can be so popular sometimes.

Yes, I went through the same scenerios in school, and it wasn't just the kids, I remember my English teacher joining in with them sometimes when I turned in a creative writng assignment based on Star Trek.

I think to truly enjoy the vastness of what ST has to offer, you have to be somewhat intelligent. ST is a huge universe of alien beings, new worlds, scientific discoveries, - it's amazing how much you want to know after your first ST adventure. I remember talking to a new fan who asked me a dozen questions like, when did the Federation come in contact with the Klingons, what makes the Romulans different from Vulcans, where do Andorians live, what's a Q etc etc. There's a lot to discover, but you have to want to be challenged. Many folks nowadays just want a sleezy tv show where they can be entertained by jokes appealing to 7 year olds. Not much content. Not much thinking. I don't think of us as nerdy - I think of us as intelligent.

I suppose that, if I cared enough to atually strike up a conversation with someone so blatantly out of my social league, I might get the ,"Eww," reaction upon bringing up the subject of Star Trek.

Yep, you would. Trust me. It's happened - more than once.

Yup. Which is actually a surprising amount of people. I believe there are certain books that everyone should be forced to read, and I guess that applies to film and television as well :nod: Some people never get the opportunity, some choose not to (I know I did until a friend was like, "You've never seen Star Trek?!"), so it amounts to a nerd thing, but like Plaz said, I usually don't get anything beyond, "Never seen it." I've actually gotten a, "It's really sad that I don't know what you're talking about," from someone after Trek jokes, too.

Nerd - disagree. Don't see us that way. Strike up a conversation with another "stranger" Trekkie and you can talk for hours. Strike up a conversation with someone who's main interest is, oh, prime time tv. Five minutes later, conversation ends. Go to a SciFi convention and meet a fellow Trekkie. New friend for life. Great conversation. Lots in common. Go to a Home and Garden show or a Boat Show or a Truck or Gun Show. Leave with stuff. No conversation past the weather.

Big difference.

And besides, how many other series can boast several different "home made" languages? I have a good friend who speaks fairly good Klingon. I think that's pretty cool if you ask me.
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#13 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:29 PM

Nerd - disagree.

I meant in others' eyes. You don't have to be a nerd to be a Trekkie, but it's not like it doesn't help. Living proof right here.

#14 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

You don't have to be a nerd to be a Trekkie

Yeah, you pretty much do. If you're not a nerd, you watch Star Trek, but aren't into it to the point of learning Klingon or memorizing ship specs, you're just someone who casually watches Star Trek, like my dear old mother. However, if you have become a full-blown Trekkie, you're likely a nerd. In fact, I've never met a non-nerd Trekkie, and I'm not een sure if that's even possible.
Posted Image

#15 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:33 PM

Your mom is not a casual Trekkie. If we can stand in your kitchen and talk Trek for nearly forty minutes, she's just as nerdy as we are :P

#16 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

Yeah, maybe... but she likes to tell me that she's not a nerd, and that any trace of nerdiness in me came from my father's side. I think she lies though, seeing as her bookshelf is nearly pure Heinlein, and she has three external hard drives full of Battlestar, all kinds of Trek, and other assorted sci fi.

EDIT: God, I'd forgotten the kitchen incident... Was that the time we talked about O'Brien and how he just takes apart the transporter all day long, hoping someone will need to use the transporter so that he can have contact with the outside world for once in his life?

Edited by Plazmataz, 13 September 2008 - 09:41 PM.

Posted Image

#17 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

three external hard drives

EDIT: God, I'd forgotten the kitchen incident... Was that the time we talked about O'Brien and how he just takes apart the transporter all day long, hoping someone will need to use the transporter so that he can have contact with the outside world for once in his life?

The fact that she's purchased even one external hard drive casts serious doubts onto her non-nerdly nature :P

That was the one :P And then there was that episode where O'Brien actually found something wrong with the transporter :lol: Good thing they had him around then.

#18 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:03 PM

Heh! I always wondered why he was so damn excited whenever anyone ever came into the transporter room.

"Captain! God, I was wondering if there was anyone left on the ship! It's so very good to see you sir."
"Chief... I just needed to use the transporter room."
"You sure you don't want to stay for coffee? I mean, it's so rare that I ever get visitors..."
"Just trasport me to the damn planet!"
"Er... about that, sir. I may have... taken the transporter apart... again."
"God damn it, chief! Every time!"
"I'll have it back together in six hours, sir!"
"Make it five minutes. If Geordi can make such ridiculously impossible deadlines, so can you!"

God I love Star Trek. How can anyone hate such things?

Edited by Plazmataz, 13 September 2008 - 10:03 PM.

Posted Image

#19 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 10:05 PM

Is it really within Star Fleet regulations for him to take it apart so often? Sometimes they have to use it, you know :P

#20 Barbara

Barbara

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 11:13 PM

Your mom is not a casual Trekkie. If we can stand in your kitchen and talk Trek for nearly forty minutes, she's just as nerdy as we are :P

For real? I wanna meet your mom!!! She must be totally cool. They have MADD (moms against drunk driving) so now we have MUFT. Moms United For Trek. Everyone should have a MUFT mom.

God I love Star Trek. How can anyone hate such things?

dunno.... I'm with U.

Is it really within Star Fleet regulations for him to take it apart so often? Sometimes they have to use it, you know :P

That always, always bothered me.

NOTE TO MELVIN: However, we still are not nerds. I refuse to accept that. Melvin - you need to stop kicking yourself. You are one really really good writer, btw. When you publish your first book, you better remember me in one of those "thanks" lines. :P
Mac Anderson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users