Trek haters

55 replies to this topic

#41 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:58 PM

Except for that last independent clause, this definition is total nonsense. The writer clearly never knew any nerds.

Actually, that definition seems almost perfect except for the "excluded from physical activity" part, as most nerds voluntarily do no participate, it's not an exclusion thing.
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#42 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:00 PM

So you agree with that the term is derrogatory? I thought you were proud of your nerdhood! Traitor! *slaps*
Posted Image

#43 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:13 PM

'Nerd' is such a stupid term anyway. Here's a (pilfered) description of it:

Nerd is a term that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, rather than engaging in more social or popular activities. Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people.

To label every Star Trek fan under this bracket is just absurd.

I actually adhere to a lot of that, but I wouldn't call myself a 'nerd'. I'm extremely social, I enjoy mainstream popular things like football, beer and Heroes (for my sins). And I'm so far away from a loner, it's untrue.

Me thinks we should re-define the term and submit to Webster for dictionary inclusion.

You beat me to it. I've always made friends much easier with nerds - they are friendlier, nicer, and more fun. I tend to think of nerds as people who think outside the box, but in today's society (especially among certain youth age groups) you are only widely accepted if you stay and think in that same limited box <_<

YES!!!!! And quite the intellectuals. Not necessarily the top A students, cuz for most of my nerdy friends, school bores them, but they are definitely the smartest and easiest to talk to. That is - if we are stereotyping the whole bunch.

I am at peace with my inner nerd.

LOL! :lol:

Me too, but it's definitely my inner nerd. Most of my friends are about as far away from a nerd as you can get, although I guess we all share a love for intellectual pursuits like reading. I don't care what a person reads as long as they read. I don't think I could easily relate to a non-reader.

Reading Rocks!!! Just finished a series on The West - a factual account of what the US did to the American Indian during the 1800s. Sickening. :(

.... My sister just called .... she said I was a nerd!!! I almost hung up on her, but her laughter made me realize she was joking. I love my sister. She's very cool. B)
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#44 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:34 AM

Yeah, you pretty much do. If you're not a nerd, you watch Star Trek, but aren't into it to the point of learning Klingon or memorizing ship specs, you're just someone who casually watches Star Trek, like my dear old mother. However, if you have become a full-blown Trekkie, you're likely a nerd. In fact, I've never met a non-nerd Trekkie, and I'm not een sure if that's even possible.

QFT.

For the record, I am a complete and total nerd, and I am thoroughly proud of it.

#45 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:13 PM

:roflmao: I kinda totaly knew that.
"Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I'll understand"
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Posted Image
"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other, all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up,man,we're going to be something!"Gene Roddenberry 9/4/85

#46 Plazmataz

Plazmataz

Purveyor of Prattle

• Members
  • 5,550 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

*high fives EE*

Yes! Nerds unite!
Posted Image

#47 Barbara

Barbara

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:50 AM

For the record, I am a complete and total nerd, and I am thoroughly proud of it.

Uh, I learned some Klingon and I know some Romulan. Uh, your definition puts me in that category, but I don't see myself as a nerd ..... you are making me doubt myself...... brain is overloading.....

*high fives EE*

Yes! Nerds unite!

Do you believe that nerds beget nerds and nerds attract nerds? So, if that's true.....then most of your true friends are also nerds????? Must .... consult .... phych book..... :huh:
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#48 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

Well according to the definition - we congregate any way.

I am intellectual but rarely got over a C in anything. (OK...I admit it - I totally aced biology and A&P, etc.) But I hated math and I purposefully failed Spanish and Religion.

I was actually very lucky to graduate. *laughs now - wasn't then.*

I was enthralled when my younger brother had his friends over to play D&D (although I didn't play I was great at painting the little figures they used) and still adore watching the Hubby kick butt in Zelda. (I AM the keeper of the hint book you know.)

So if anyone hates Trek - it's only because they don't comprehend it's true and deeper meaning to the realm of humanity....

....and who wants to play with them anyhow! :P

Quick Edit - besides - the Hubby wanted be to say that nerd sex is better any way!

Edited by Terilynn, 23 September 2008 - 08:56 PM.

#49 Barbara

Barbara

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:08 AM

an acquaintence said we fit the 2nd definition of "geek" better than nerd.

Geek: any person considered to be different from others in a strange or bizarre way, as a teenager seen as being socially awkward or gangly etc. That's according to Webster's College dictionary

Webster says of Nerd: a person regarded as socially dull, unsophisticated, awkward etc., specif. as from being preoccupied with schoolwork, an intellectual hobby etc.

I don't see us as being socially dull, or unsophisticated... :P
Mac Anderson

#50 mlaz

mlaz

blisfully clueless

• Members
  • 10,334 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:01 AM

So .. A lot of my friends do go to Tabletop rpg, LRP and LARP events :unsure: I only occasionaly go with them.
Never did play D&D but my fiends do and want me there to make sure they are taken care off, food, drink and rest wise. *I better make that clear :rolleyes:* If they come together with all of their computers in an event.
I cant play the game as a motion sickness makes me :wacko: if I play games that move on screen. So I do not know if I would like to play it.

And definitions are weird things. When I did a med studie I always found things in syndromes that would fit me. I never did have the syndrome luckely but that is how I learned one has to have a lot of the caracteristics that belong to a group catched by a difinition.

Quick Edit - besides - the Hubby wanted be to say that nerd sex is better any way!

:roflmao:

an acquaintence said we fit the 2nd definition of "geek" better than nerd.

Geek: any person considered to be different from others in a strange or bizarre way, as a teenager seen as being socially awkward or gangly etc. That's according to Webster's College dictionary

Webster says of Nerd: a person regarded as socially dull, unsophisticated, awkward etc., specif. as from being preoccupied with schoolwork, an intellectual hobby etc.

I don't see us as being socially dull, or unsophisticated... :P

See that geek definition..
everyone is different form others and most would say the other is different in strange or bizarre way. Thinking they are not strange or bizarre in any way of form.
Every teenager is socially awkward and gangly, some find a socialy less obvious way to hide the fact.

:rolleyes: I can do the same with the nerd part but I is lazy :P
"Tell me and I'll forget, Show me and I might remember, Involve me and I'll understand"
Posted Image . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Posted Image
"I believe in humanity. We are an incredible species. We're still just a child creature, we're still being nasty to each other, all children go through those phases. We're growing up, we're moving into adolescence now. When we grow up,man,we're going to be something!"Gene Roddenberry 9/4/85

#51 Barbara

Barbara

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:44 PM

---- and besides, who is Webster anyway to define our ways. Truth - we can fit into any definition since human beings are complex, and reversely we can absolutely not fit into a definition. Some like the idea of being a "nerd" and embrace the term, others find it annoying and would prefer "geek". I guess you can say the same for "trekkie" - some think it's a cool term, others are repulsed by it. Either way, we are unique. :lol:

Oh, btw, not every teen is socially awkward and gangly. I know a few that are social butterflies, absolutely attract everyone to them, are embraced by their peers and are comfortable in their size and quite graceful. Wish I could have been them in high school - but I wasn't. :P
Mac Anderson

#52 Caprica6

Caprica6

Fleet Captain

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:11 PM

One of the reasons I don't think the new movie will attract many new fans is, as has already been said here, that Star Trek has a negative stigma. It's seen as geeky, nerdy, dorky whatever and people won't want to go see it for fear of being seen as a geek/dork/nerd.

I know when I was in school I let it slip that I was going to a convention to some people and they teased me relentlessly about it, asking me if I'd ever kissed a guy, if I was a virgin if I had any friends (completely ignoring the engagement ring on my finger)

#53 Barbara

Barbara

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:10 PM

See, now that I don't understand. You can be a history buff, into choir or opera music, love building model trains, but if you're into Trek, you're considered weird. To me, that's weird. And to make insulting remarks about your personal life goes beyond rude and inconsiderate.
Mac Anderson

#54 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:21 PM

See, now that I don't understand. You can be a history buff, into choir or opera music, love building model trains, but if you're into Trek, you're considered weird. To me, that's weird. And to make insulting remarks about your personal life goes beyond rude and inconsiderate.

QFT

#55 louiskaty2

louiskaty2

Commodore

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

Sure, how many guys are 'Coco for Cocoa Puffs' when it comes to Football? They have flags on their vehicles, credit cards, checks with team logos, heaven help us if they miss a game on TV. Bottom line does it matter more than Star Trek? He _ _ Trek is more popular world wide than Football is. They are both just forms of entertainment.
Gone...

#56 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

everwhere i go i run into people who hate star trek and believe it or not there alot of them out there. but you know what let them hate i dont care!!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users