What's new on the Fan Fiction Index

8 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:29 AM

I keep the fan fiction index closed so that there's only a closed set of posts and I can keep track of things, but one drawback is that it doesn't show up when I edit the posts on the "View New Posts" facility we have so members have no way of knowing when there is something new or something that I've unearthed from the archives.

I've done some updating tonight on the Enterprise section -
  • Added Ensign Edwards, "Vengeance From The Ice"
  • Added Derek Kessler's stories that are part of the mini-series "To Boldly Go"
  • rearranged things so that the member's stories come first then the two series, "To Boldly Go" and "Dispatches From the Romulan War", with older one first.
Feel free to post comments here or, if it is about an author's work, on the original forum thread.

Cheers

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:50 AM

This time I've cleaned up the section on post-Nemesis fan fiction and original works which is one of our most popular story types.

• Kehlan, every purple-blooded Klingon's ideal, has three works on our forum. "A Fear Faced... Is Still Fear" and "That Summer on Vulcan" from 2007 and "Star Trek: Dominion" which she finished in Jan, 2008.
  • Derek "The Writing Machine" Kessler has a massive body of work salted away through the forums of TrekUnited besides his work on "Dispatches From The Romulan War" and "To Boldly Go" which is detailed in the Enterprise section of the fanFic Dbs. From 2005 we have a neat FlashFic entitled "Resistance is Futile" about the Borg (of course!). In addition we have his three novel-length stories ...
  • Star Trek: Aldrin, Book 1 - The Enemy Within by Derek Kessler (2005)
  • Star Trek: Aldrin, Book 2 - Diplomatic Protocol by Derek Kessler (2005)
  • Star Trek: Aldrin, Book 3 - Shadows in the Darkness by Derek Kessler from Feb-Mar, 2008
  • I've also added Cptn_Krunch's "Six Act Space Opera" from Sep, 2008 which otherwise defies pigeonholing! Is it prose? Is it drama? Is it art? You don't read this, you experience it! Make sure you click all the links!
  • Unreviewed fan fiction includes, Star Trek: Federation by Dominion Ruler from Nov-Dec, 2007 and Star Trek: New Era, posted by Christena in Aug-Sep, 2007 which is the prologue to chapter 5, linked to the continuation on her website.
  • Last month Terilynn, who is, uh resting TNG Retribution, posted something that she had previously written, Star Trek: Heritage, Book 1 - A Break With Tradition. This is the first volume of a POST-Nemesis Trilogy, set over thirty years after the fall of Shinzon featuring some old favourites from TNG and comes very well recommended!

Remember, if you enjoy the story, leave the author a note on the forum - that's why they do it, for your feedback! Writers are reminded that TrekUnited Publishing is looking for submissions for the Christmas edition of Hailing Frequencies Open and the Christmas eBook day. Did I mention that I will be trawling the archives for likely submissions from the past as a second-string? B)

What can I say except - enjoy!

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#3 barbreader

barbreader

Captain

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

I tried to send this to you via PM, but the board said I couldn't. Maybe you mailbox is full, Kirok. Anyway, I found this listing of Fan Fiction, and did a search for Star Trek. I got over 1000 results, vis:
http://www.fanfictio...r Trek"&ready=1
Posted Image

#4 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:50 AM

I tried to send this to you via PM, but the board said I couldn't. Maybe you mailbox is full, Kirok. Anyway, I found this listing of Fan Fiction, and did a search for Star Trek. I got over 1000 results, vis:
http://www.fanfictio.....Trek"&ready=1

I think everyone who's written any fan fiction has had an account on FanFiction.Net at some point in time! Certainly its comprehensive but it has the same problem that you have found with Fan Films - there are a lot of them and no way of choosing which to read! Many of the titles and blurbs pique my interest but I've all too often found that they lead to something just too painful to read!

I much prefer the system that they have on alt.startrek.creative (ASC), where authors are encouraged to critique each others work. They have an annual awards competition that uses the number of comments that a story gets as its criteria for winning. It fuels the Trekiverse website, where you can see previous winners of the awards up to 2004 when the website seems to have stopped being updated. The awards are still run on the Newsgroup though.

Funny about the error message, perhaps my PM archive has reached its limit again? I'll check.

K

Posted Image

#5 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

K - I gave up trying to PM you weeks ago.

Believe it or not, I have never used FF.net. Since I find it completely unwieldy to use as a reader, I can't imagine what a pain in the tush it must be to post there. While I have posted some material though the adult version of ASC (ASCEM - and won awards too! LOL) I also find the listing for the stories (even in ASC) to be VERY hard to negotiate to find what I'm looking for. It seems to be their archivist went away and they never replaced him/her? Or maybe I just have no clue how to find tales that have been written in the past several years.

#6 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

K - I gave up trying to PM you weeks ago.

Believe it or not, I have never used FF.net. Since I find it completely unwieldy to use as a reader, I can't imagine what a pain in the tush it must be to post there. While I have posted some material though the adult version of ASC (ASCEM - and won awards too! LOL) I also find the listing for the stories (even in ASC) to be VERY hard to negotiate to find what I'm looking for. It seems to be their archivist went away and they never replaced him/her? Or maybe I just have no clue how to find tales that have been written in the past several years.

Sorry about that, I've just deleted a bunch of PMs but there used to be a way of bulk archiving them which doesn't appear to be on this new version of the forum.

Yeah, writing on FF.net is like shouting in a fog - only your immediate circle really know you are doing anything! However to a certain extent you can say the same about any forum or message board - you are limited to the number of people who are subscribed to that group and how easy/useful/interesting the interface is. I think their interface suffers from too many options - you get lost in it!

Yes, Trekkiverse, the ASC website where their stories were archived, seems to have been abandoned, however the message board is still going as are the awards. The coding system they have is intelligible if you have the glossary handy but a bit cumbersome otherwise - and a Google Group is not the prettiest of interfaces either.

How've you been Terilynn?

Posted Image

#7 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:23 PM

Okay k - I'm doing okay.

I look forward to the day when I can open up to begin writing more frequently, but that day may be some time off. I was just thinking though, I noticed that "Retribution" as it's posted here is full of coding errors which I think happened a looooong time ago. I have so many edits - Should I just post the thing from scratch or should edit it post by post?

#8 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:40 AM

I look forward to the day when I can open up to begin writing more frequently, but that day may be some time off. I was just thinking though, I noticed that "Retribution" as it's posted here is full of coding errors which I think happened a looooong time ago. I have so many edits - Should I just post the thing from scratch or should edit it post by post?

Depends on your time constraints. Since you are posting it piecemeal it would be a way of breaking the editing job up into manageable chunks though.

K

Posted Image

#9 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

I think I'll post it fresh - that way I can easily bypass the coding errors from that crash we had over a year ago and also include my (badly) needed corrections in grammar.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users