8 replies to this topic

#1 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:09 PM

Story

I agree with the guy who wrote the op-ed piece here. To punish a child for being gifted in whatever sense is just inherently wrong. If anything they should kick the opposing coach(literally and figuratively) for his lack of sportsmanship in walking his players off the field, and possibly incompetence for not teaching the kids how to hit against a tough pitcher. What kind of life lessons is this going to teach these children? I hope that his mother finds a better league for him to play in (I don't know if AAU plays kids that young) or finds some way to counter the seed planted by these idiots. I can feel for this kid.

I faced similar things academically from teachers when I was a kid because I could read at a third grade level when I started school and teachers asked me to slow down the pace I did my work so I didn't make the other kids feel bad. This literally ruined me in school for several years, because they made me feel guilty for being smart, and as a result I read my books ahead away from school where they had any say at the pace I studied, did no homework, but aced all my tests (This BTW was my revenge as it drove them nuts trying to figure out how I did it :D). I even passed an entrance test for Philips Exeter in middle school, and they still didn't get it. It was only after one of my better teachers caught on and had me switched into honors level classes that I started giving a damn about my grades. To see them pulling a similar idea with this kid on the athletic field knowing it could limit his opportunities long term just ticks me off.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 aklaus

aklaus

Overanalyzinator ~~ Countdown Dumpster Diver

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 02:51 PM

I faced similar things academically from teachers when I was a kid because I could read at a third grade level when I started school and teachers asked me to slow down the pace I did my work so I didn't make the other kids feel bad. This literally ruined me in school for several years, because they made me feel guilty for being smart, and as a result I read my books ahead away from school where they had any say at the pace I studied, did no homework, but aced all my tests (This BTW was my revenge as it drove them nuts trying to figure out how I did it :D). I even passed an entrance test for Philips Exeter in middle school, and they still didn't get it. It was only after one of my better teachers caught on and had me switched into honors level classes that I started giving a damn about my grades.

Yeah kind of the same here. The last public school I was a student at (6th grade), I couldn't get out out stupid braindead how to make a plural English class to take pre-algebra. I was a couple months from ditching to go to the library (family tradition; my dad did it in high school) when my parents did the homeschooling paperwork to make that legal instead.

I hate that we have to make sure that everyone feels that their mediocre half-effort is good enough, doubly that the only way we can do that is by holding down the ones that could fly.

#3 louiskaty2

louiskaty2

Commodore

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:06 PM

I hate that we have to make sure that everyone feels that their mediocre half-effort is good enough, doubly that the only way we can do that is by holding down the ones that could fly.

It sort of reminds me of the scene in 'The Adventures of Baron Munchausen' when they take the Officer played by Sting out and excecute him for being too heroic in battle. :blink:
Gone...

#4 Barbara

Barbara

Working My Way Up to Awesome

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

I faced similar things academically from teachers when I was a kid because I could read at a third grade level when I started school and teachers asked me to slow down the pace I did my work so I didn't make the other kids feel bad. This literally ruined me in school for several years, because they made me feel guilty for being smart, and as a result I read my books ahead away from school where they had any say at the pace I studied, did no homework, but aced all my tests (This BTW was my revenge as it drove them nuts trying to figure out how I did it :D ). I even passed an entrance test for Philips Exeter in middle school, and they still didn't get it. It was only after one of my better teachers caught on and had me switched into honors level classes that I started giving a damn about my grades. To see them pulling a similar idea with this kid on the athletic field knowing it could limit his opportunities long term just ticks me off.

They wanted to have my sis skip a year and start her ahead of everyone because, moi, as the older sister, would (of course) come home and teach her what I learned. She was about 2 years ahead of everyone else. The board said the teachers couldn't promote her a level because the other kids would feel hurt. So, she, too was bored in school. Never had to study. Was in all honor classes and when she was accepted at Boston U, transferred 21 semester hours from high school. Then "CLEP"ed 6 more. Graduated in 2 1/2 years.

Anyone who's kept out of anything because they are exceptional needs to get a back bone and Fight Back. We spend more effort trying to make the playing field even instead of promoting good grades, good habits, excellent service, and exceptional achievements. .....And the fools of the universe scratch their bald heads and wonder what's happening to society.

(okay, I'll climb down off the soap box now....)
President, P.U.T. Procrastinators Unite Tomorrow
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#5 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:22 PM

True Barbara, we do focus more being fair to those less capable of succeeding without the bell curve than the those who can excel without it. Sad part is I would have gladly helped the ones who needed it had they asked.

But in regard to Jericho I think the kid should be pitching, and IMO there is something more political going on regarding the league there.
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#6 Hamilton

Hamilton

Commodore

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:42 PM

I think it's a travesty what they've done to that poor kid. It's like being exceptional in any way is a bad thing. I mean, honestly... what kind of message does that send to kids?

Also, I agree with Sevnson... there's got to be something political going on behind the scenes.

#7 Barbara

Barbara

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

But in regard to Jericho I think the kid should be pitching, and IMO there is something more political going on regarding the league there.

Couldn't agree with you more! We need to fire our politicians.

And - if he's that talented, wouldn't it be in his best interest anyway to be in a better league? The next one up - which doesn't allow kids his age to join, should make an age exception and let him compete on equal grounds. Can't be too exciting for him to play without any "challenge". Example: the very bright kids in school who have to sit through boring classes cuz they could really be teaching the teacher.

I think it's a travesty what they've done to that poor kid. It's like being exceptional in any way is a bad thing. I mean, honestly... what kind of message does that send to kids?

Also, I agree with Sevnson... there's got to be something political going on behind the scenes.

How can there not be something political?! It makes for great headlines and the politicians get what they want - noticed.

Can you imagine what this is doing to this poor kid? Idiots!
The bend in the road is not the end of the road unless you fail to make the turn.
Mac Anderson

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through Him might be saved." John 3:16-17

#8 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,621 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:53 PM

Couldn't agree with you more! We need to fire our politicians.

And - if he's that talented, wouldn't it be in his best interest anyway to be in a better league? The next one up - which doesn't allow kids his age to join, should make an age exception and let him compete on equal grounds. Can't be too exciting for him to play without any "challenge". Example: the very bright kids in school who have to sit through boring classes cuz they could really be teaching the teacher.

How can there not be something political?! It makes for great headlines and the politicians get what they want - noticed.

Can you imagine what this is doing to this poor kid? Idiots!

By political I was more referring to the parents though. In the legal end you could almost see the need for a Title IX type statute for gifted children.
Posted Image

FORUM RULES

#9 Barbara

Barbara

• Members
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 10:20 PM

By political I was more referring to the parents though. In the legal end you could almost see the need for a Title IX type statute for gifted children.

You know what, on second thought, the parents probably just want $$$$$. If they cared what was best for their little boy, they'd move on and give him the "life's not always fair" speech. We've all been there. So now the lawyers and city officials are involved. But they should still fight back. Just not in that way.

Grow up. Move on. Find another league. Don't make your kid a spectacle, make him a better ball player and a better human being. Bet there's a league out there who'd love a 10 year old pitcher that can heave 40 mph heaters down the middle! Shoot. There's a few major league clubs that could use him right about now.
Mac Anderson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users