10 replies to this topic

#1 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 03:03 AM

Posted Image

The first sortie by the House of L'Stok into fan productions is finally ready for release! Fan favourite, Karl Puder and newcomer, Merodi play unique parts in this original Klingon tale of love and loss, "Motherhood". Started as part of last year's Twelve Trek Days of Christmas, this short (12:26 11.6Mb), full-cast audio book has gathered a life of its own as the actors have delivered some great performances!

Listen to it on the Silvertongue Productions website.

Posted Image ... Subscribe to it!
Posted Image ... Download it!
Posted Image ... Discuss it!
Posted Image ... Do it yourself!

Karl Puder brings to the part a wealth of experience in audio drama as General, and later Emperor Korg in Darker Projects' Star Trek: The Section 31 Files and their latest series, Star Trek: Lost Frontier. However he is probably best known for his continuing film role as General Korg in Areakt Film's Star Trek: Hidden Frontier, a role that he has recently reprised in both of their spin-off's, Star Trek: The Helena Chronicles and Star Trek: Odyssey. I was immensely lucky to be able to get Karl to read for this role and he was incredibly patient with me as we worked to create a significantly different delivery from his alter ego, Korg.

Merodi is a new talent who read for parts in last year's Dispatches From The Romulan War, and signed on as our sound engineer. A young intern at a radio station at the time, I was mightily impressed with her work and when I went looking for a female Klingon, she was one of my first candidates. She did a fantastic job delivering an expressive and emotion-filled delivery in a totally unnatural register for her. Her talents as a voice actor are matched by her skills as a sound engineer, and I expect great things from Merodi Media!

The first book of a trilogy, "Tales of Death and Honour", Motherhood is enhanced by a moody gothic theme, "La Hoguerra" by Distemia, and incidental music by Kevin MacLeod of Incompetech.com. Paul "Enigma" Simpson, who I have worked with on Sci Fi Studios, caught that mood perfectly with his title graphic.
CREDITS

Posted Image ... The Father ... Karl Puder
Posted Image ... The Mother ... Merodi
Posted Image ... Theme Music by Distemia
Posted Image ... Incidental Music by Kevin MacLeod
Posted Image ... Graphics by Paul "Enigma" Simpson

Motherhood is narrated by the author, producer and director, Kirok of L'Stok, and marks my debut as a voice talent - using the term in it's loosest possible sense! I hope you find it entertaining and thought-provoking as you ponder the Klingon conundrum: If family honour were more important than life itself, what would you do if you had to choose between family ... or honour?

Well?

Kirok of L'Stok

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 09:11 AM

Kirok.

What can I say but....

:worthy:

Just wonderful, beautiful!!! I'm so taken with this production and I'm thrilled to no end for you and the team! Well done sir. Well, well done.

#3 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:09 PM

Kirok.

What can I say but....

:worthy:

Just wonderful, beautiful!!! I'm so taken with this production and I'm thrilled to no end for you and the team! Well done sir. Well, well done.

You liked it! An appreciative listener is worth more than any number of hits on a website!

Cheers

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

#4 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

:blush: >sniff< A good review! ... and no, it's not Mum writing under another name! W. Joseph Thomas, writing on Noriega.biz, an on-line zine that I've never come across before but which evidently is gearing up for a newsletter, GN Monthly.

Modesty forbids me from quoting from the review extensively - read it, he hit the nail on the head quite a few times - I'll respond to his critque on my ending though ...

Seeing our reflection fractured in a Klingon mirror is this episode’s great strength, but it is also “Motherhood”’s great weakness, because the conclusion fails to follow through on the central conflict. Given what we know about the Klingon and human races, the course of the conflict is rather predictable from the moment we know what’s going on. This is not a bad thing; the scene is, as I’ve said, well-written, well-acted, and well-done. But the episode concludes at exactly the point where it should not have. As the end credits roll, we know only what decision was made regarding the immediate conflict. We do not know what the results were, what other conflicts were created as a result, the subsequent relationship between father and child, or, most importantly, what effect this conflict had on the marriage between the two characters. Thus, we are left with only a token resolution to the scenario. I get the sense that Kirok was attempting to imply many of these resolutions through dialogue. Unfortunately, none of it was conveyed successfully, and the ending comes off as entirely ambiguous. (It is also possible that Kirok was aiming for an ambiguous ending, in which case, bad decision.) As a result, the entire plot is easily predicted from the get-go by anyone who’s ever known anyone with parents. This rendered the ending most unsatisfying.

Heinlein is quoted as saying that he would never write anything under 2,000 words because you could never get a proper build-up, and resolution in such a short space. Fan productions are increasingly seeing the short production, or "vignette" in fan film circles, as a viable option mainly because it short-cuts the long waiting period between pre-production and release which frustrates their fans. ST Phase II started it with Center Seat, promising more but never delivering, and ST Intrepid are the latest with Where There's A Sea. Some series, such as ST Beyond and ST The Romulan Wars are basing their series around this length of episode.

I was inspired by the series of audio-shorts that we did last year for Dispatches From The Romulan War to try the same thing in audio but I'm faced with the same problem: How do you get set-up, conflict and resolution in ten minutes flat? I decided to take much the same tack as David Quintana has with ST Beyond where the plot of succeeding episodes relies on the preceding ones for their development. Like them or loath them the idea of a series of short, connected productions has worked successfully for Afterworld and Star Wars: Clone Wars
and frankly, isn't that one of the ways that Star Trek TOS revolutionised TV, by having continuing character development from one episode to the next that deepened our understanding of the characters?

So, the short answer is that the resolution lies with the end of the trilogy. There is more - much more - to be said about the situation that they find themselves in. The relationship between the parents is ... irreparable because of what happens next, father and son are reconciled in suitably Klingon fashion, I'm not exactly sure how because he hasn't told me yet!

Good point though, I should try to make them more free-standing, get more resolution on each, even as I'm using them to build a larger storyline.

Thanks for the feedback

K

Posted Image

#5 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 10:52 AM

See! I knew my groupiedom wasn't misplaced! :)

#6 John Doe

John Doe

Commodore

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:20 PM

I just listened to it, and it's great! I love it! And to tell you the truth, I'm not usually a fan of this kind of fan productions, but this one is just great (please accept muy apologies for not finding proper words to say it, as English is not my language, and I find myself very limited on what I say because of that).

Congratulations to you, Kirok, and to all the people who worked on it.

:)

Edited by John Doe, 09 August 2008 - 07:24 PM.

Without trying to sound egotistical... (...) I have my own ideas and aspirations which were countlessly shot down in the past. I've no interest in being in that position again.

#7 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:41 PM

I just listened to it, and it's great! I love it! And to tell you the truth, I'm not usually a fan of this kind of fan productions, but this one is just great (please accept muy apologies for not finding proper words to say it, as English is not my language, and I find myself very limited on what I say because of that).

Congratulations to you, Kirok, and to all the people who worked on it.

:)

Thank you, John, I appreciate the support and I'm glad you liked it! I am especially happy that it has come across so well to someone who does not use English as their first language. I really feel that the use of a narrator, which makes it an audio book rather than an audio drama, adds immensely to the listener's understanding of the scene.

You can be the first to hear that I've spoken to Karl Puder, who played the Klingon father, this week and he's happy to complete the trilogy with me! I am just putting the finishing touches to a script for him so that we should go into production on 'Book 2 - Fatherhood" next week.

Cheers

K

Posted Image

#8 Aric

Aric

Ensign

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 12:10 AM

I finally got around to listening to this and, man, am I impressed! Everyone should listen to this! Great production values! Great performances! Wonderful story!

The best part for me is the story. It handles a sensitive subject with both boldness and tact. It is sincere yet not preachy. The story doesn't make any judgements on an alien culture while using it as an analog for a current hot button issue. I found the character's believable as Klingons in the vein of more moderate examples of the species like Worf.

All the actors do a wonderful job, including the narrator ;) .

Great job on the foley and music. I love it when they entered the temple and the organ music started, perfect atmosphere. My only problem is the Male Klingon's voice had a weird reverb. I imagine it was the source audio and I have to say it wasn't that noticeable, especially once I got into the story. And it did kind of give the impression that he is a really big Klingon.

The main reason I hadn't listened to it yet is that I don't have an I-pod or other means to listen to downloaded audio while traveling (I listen to the radio, old-fashioned ain't I? :P ). I finally decided to sit next to the computer, headphones plugged in, and listen while I folded some laundry. Glad I did. :D

Anyone, fans of Klingons, fans of Star Trek, fans of good stories, would do themselves a favor to listen to Tales of Death and Honour, Book 1 - Motherhood. :klingon:

Posted Image

#9 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:26 AM

I finally got around to listening to this and, man, am I impressed! Everyone should listen to this! Great production values! Great performances! Wonderful story!

The best part for me is the story. It handles a sensitive subject with both boldness and tact. It is sincere yet not preachy. The story doesn't make any judgements on an alien culture while using it as an analog for a current hot button issue. I found the character's believable as Klingons in the vein of more moderate examples of the species like Worf.

Thanks for the kind words, Aric - I appreciate it especially since i know you have a good idea of production values!

There's good news for "Tales of Death and Honour" this week as well! Merodi who played the Klingon mother as well as doing my sound editing has agreed to continue engineering the rest of the series although she reckons she doesn't have the time for any more voice acting. The week before i heard back from Karl Puder who played the father to say that he is ok to continue as well!

So what I'm planning on doing is producing the remaining two "books" of the trilogy together, although they will be released seperately. I hope to have the script for "Fatherhood" completed by this weekend and "Inheritance" written by the following weekend. Auditions will be called after that and close (probably) at the end of September so that I'll get them online for this year's Twelve Trek Days of Christmas or perhaps earlier.

Cheers

K

Posted Image

#10 hudson

hudson

Chief Petty Officer

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:10 PM

Did the baby sleep in one of these ?

http://www.sliceofsc...-start-of-life/

#11 Kirok

Kirok

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:16 AM

Did the baby sleep in one of these ?

http://www.sliceofsc...-start-of-life/

:roflmao: Obviously no polished timber floors in THIS nursery! Or timber floors of any sort - junior would end up in the basement before he was two!

Good one!

K

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users