35 replies to this topic

#21 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

:worthy: :porthos:

Puppy worship. Do I get extra points for creativity?

:23: :err:
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#22 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:47 AM

Is that person ruining it for others as well, e. e.? Maybe everyone on that forum who's ticked at that person should let them know they're so negative if this hasn't been done already.

They seem to be driving everyone crazy. While there has never been a concerted effort, numerous people have told them to take a chill pill. It never does anything. They consider themselves the voice of reason.

And this is not anywhere on TU.

#23 shinkai

shinkai

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

They seem to be driving everyone crazy. While there has never been a concerted effort, numerous people have told them to take a chill pill. It never does anything. They consider themselves the voice of reason.

And this is not anywhere on TU.

Glad to know that's not here. I hate the thought of good people leaving.
"Darkness is a shroud, and the earth is in stillness,
For he who made them rests in his horizon."
-from Akhenaten's Great Hymn to the Aten

#24 Robin B.

Robin B.

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

As long as it's not me.....

Pm me if it is. :o

No sweety it's definately not you! I'm talking about another forum all together.This site is one of the few sane places about Trek that I've been to! :sadnod:
Posted Image

#25 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:33 AM

I know the person EE means, and yeah, it gets annoying. Not enough to make me want to leave, but I do try to avoid this person's posts.

Back on topic, I think that some people really have no concept of how far it's okay to go when you're obsessing about a show or an actor.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#26 Robin B.

Robin B.

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

I know! Some fan sites are more shrines! They sometimes go overboard.
Posted Image

#27 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:20 AM

I hate the thought of good people leaving.

What? Me? Good? :huh:

:P

#28 shinkai

shinkai

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:10 PM

I know! Some fan sites are more shrines! They sometimes go overboard.

Oh, I know! I hate trying to find out some info on an actor's projects and slipping in fan drool!

But don't worry, I have no problems with the Connor & Dominic threads. You know what to expect before clicking the link :P :D

What? Me? Good? :huh:

:P

Of course! Top notch!
"Darkness is a shroud, and the earth is in stillness,
For he who made them rests in his horizon."
-from Akhenaten's Great Hymn to the Aten

#29 Robin B.

Robin B.

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:00 PM

Oh, I know! I hate trying to find out some info on an actor's projects and slipping in fan drool!

But don't worry, I have no problems with the Connor & Dominic threads. You know what to expect before clicking the link :P :D
Oooo you found that one in the Dominic thread did you. :D Nice pic. huh. :naughty3dg: I couldn't resist! :P

Of course! Top notch!

Posted Image

#30 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:56 AM

if you can find it you should read Xenogenesis by Harlan Ellison ..... there are fan stories in there to delight and horrify
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

#31 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

Of course! Top notch!

Thanks, I guess.

#32 Coffee

Coffee

3rd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:48 PM

There are few times that a fan has ruined something.

I will try not to be rude.

I seen fan write the characters so out of character that the only thing resembles the original character is the name and position. Then there are times fan take a situation and re-write it, so that the situation ends badly and one or more characters are being bashed. I don't mean a little bashing, the whole story is about bashing the character. If you don't like the character, then don't write about the character.

I like it when fans write themselves in the star trek continuum without trying to redirect the whole story line or write in new situations (Minus major character bashing).
There are so many possibilities that a person can write new fan series and it will still fit into the star trek universe. I watched the fan series.

Please let me know before flaming my post, so that I have my coffee pot ready.
Forget the Leader. Take me to your coffeemaker!

#33 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Hmmm I didn't notice this topic when it came out 3 years ago. Shrug.

Anyway - I agree that there can be writing of characters where they are bent so far that they break. Making, say, Troi into a loving mother makes sense - it's something that could work in her story arc, but just they never got that far in the timeline. But making her into a ninja is silly.

Similar with other character contortions.

I'm an ENT gal and, for the most part, they were either unwritten or underwritten. Hence I feel there's some license that can be taken there. For example, did Archer ever marry? It's unclear in canon so I think a writer could go either way with that, or even ignore it altogether. Did he ever shoot a man in Reno once, just to watch him die? Er, I don't think so.
Honk if you love silence.

Ordinary Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Posted Image

#34 Coffee

Coffee

3rd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

Hmmm I didn't notice this topic when it came out 3 years ago. Shrug.

Anyway - I agree that there can be writing of characters where they are bent so far that they break. Making, say, Troi into a loving mother makes sense - it's something that could work in her story arc, but just they never got that far in the timeline. But making her into a ninja is silly.

Similar with other character contortions.

I'm an ENT gal and, for the most part, they were either unwritten or underwritten. Hence I feel there's some license that can be taken there. For example, did Archer ever marry? It's unclear in canon so I think a writer could go either way with that, or even ignore it altogether. Did he ever shoot a man in Reno once, just to watch him die? Er, I don't think so.

That is a good idea. There are a ton of unanswered questions or things that never was explained in the series. Also there are so many different planets, races, ships, etc. You can make your own ship, station, planet and make your own story. The only thing you would have to do is research, so you don't make it seem Mary Sue-ish. For example, I don't think they be a 10 year old Star Fleet Doctor. Xy from Star Trek New Frontier is an exception(It is a long story.)

#35 jespah

jespah

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

• Global Moderators
  • 4,899 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

Doogie Howser in space?

I suppose it could work but, in reality, it seems so purely nonsensical on its face, Yet if the writer can pull it off, that's fantastic.

I read a story (relatively recently, and not on TrekUnited) where a female character was just able to do anything, any time, anywhere, etc. She even beat up muscular human men in their prime (think Kirk from the series) while pregnant! When called on it, the writer wrote a back story and suddenly the character wasn't human, she was suddenly some foundling. And even being the member of some other, original species, well, even then this sort of thing does not fly. Who's invincible, and virtually unbreakable? It's dull, truth be told. Just like impossibly evil, impossible to kill enemies are dull (as the results are a foregone conclusion), so are impossibly smart, beautiful, strong, etc. good folk.

The challenge is in the conflict, and in the flaws.

It's not just Trek and it's not just fandom. It's really a question of writing ability. There are an awful lot of people out there who toss out fan fiction with, perhaps, a small look at Memory Alpha for a little continuity, but no other preparation. And then they wonder why their stories fall flat. Well, they do because people without flaws aren't interesting. They are not people. They are chess pieces in bad drama.

One thing that the TV shows and films fail to show, for the most part (albeit not always) is consequences. Consider the flaws of some major characters, and how they would play out in terms of consequences. For example, David Marcus cannot possibly be the only living child that Kirk fathered (he also fathered a child with Miramanee (sp?) but the child died). So what's his deal? He could get a message some time, and then have to relive his feelings all over again, about some woman from his past. What about Worf, and killing? Does he feel no guilt whatsoever? Doesn't Beverly Crusher miss Jack during the holidays? Does Jadzia hear a cacaphony of voices in her head? Does Kathryn Janeway just spend a day or so not wanting to even get out of bed? How does Jonathan Archer feel about the things he had to do while in the Delphic Expanse?

That sort of stuff is fodder for a lot of great drama, some of which I've read in fan fic. Some of it is poorly executed, some very well done. But I give props to people who, even if the execution isn't so great, at least make the effort to give their heroes feet of clay. I have had people complain to me when I had Archer complain about something in his thoughts, that he wasn't "heroic enough". Sheesh. No, he's a person. And sometimes he thinks thoughts that are unheroic. Get over it - the guy does his job but he has an inner monologue going, as we all do. And it might be imperfect. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that it's far from heroic a lot of the time. Just like in real, flesh and blood people.
Honk if you love silence.

Ordinary Trek Citizen and not much bigger than a bread box

Posted Image

#36 Coffee

Coffee

3rd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

I agree with every character has their flaws and it makes them more interesting. If they did not have any flaws or any challenges that took time to over come, then the story would not have any suspense.

I would be happy to see someone take what seemed impossible and make it work in a story.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users