Yankees opener first pitch tossed from ISS

6 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:48 AM

Posted ImageThe New York Yankees opened last night against the Boston Red Sox. Historically, the ceremonial first pitch has been tossed by a variety of dignitaries and celebrities, including 1956 Yankees pitcher Don Larsen, US President George W. Bush, and now an astronaut in space. Orbiting in the International Space Station, US astronaut Garrett Reisman threw the opening pitch as the station passed over New York City and was broadcast down to the big screen into Yankee Stadium.

Reisman brought with him dirt from the Yankee Stadium pitcher’s mound, a Yankees banner, and a hat autographed by George Steinbrenner, the team’s principal owner. “I am really honored to have this opportunity in such a historic season in the House that Ruth Built, and I would like to thank the Yankees for being so supportive of our mission up here in space,” Reisman said in a statement. “From Earth’s orbit, but still deep inside the Yankees Universe, let me say, ‘Go Yanks!’”

According to NASA, the pitch was the fastest fastball ever, clocking in a 17,500 mph, or 5 miles a second. The Earth-bound record is held by MLB pitcher Nolan Ryan, in 1956 he was clocked at 100.9 mph. Reisman’s orbit in the ISS put him at 220 miles above the Earth.

The Yankees topped the Red Sox, 15-9.

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,622 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

Hmmmph. Didn't even reach the plate :nonono: Wuss :P
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#3 Rakulp

Rakulp

Commodore

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

Greetings,

Can't you just hear Bob Uecker now?

"...juuuust a bit outside"

:D

Rakulp
"Honor Above All"

#4 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:19 PM

Greetings,

Can't you just hear Bob Uecker now?

"...juuuust a bit outside"

:D

Rakulp
"Honor Above All"

AND @ sevnson..... :lol: :rofl1:

#5 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,713 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:33 PM

That adds new meaning to John Sterling's "It is High. It is FAR...It is ..GONE!!!"

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#6 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

The Earth-bound record is held by MLB pitcher Nolan Ryan, in 1956 he was clocked at 100.9 mph.

Really? I've seen Zumaya clock 101 before...and I've also seen and heard of speeds higher than 102.

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#7 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

Really? I've seen Zumaya clock 101 before...and I've also seen and heard of speeds higher than 102.

I'm talking actual verified record. ;)

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users