Photo

How would you rate Deep Space Nine

37 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you rate Deep Space Nine (42 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate DS9?

1. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 2 (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

3. 3 (1 votes [2.38%])

4. 4 (1 votes [2.38%])

5. 5 (1 votes [2.38%])

6. 6 (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

7. 7 (5 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

8. 8 (7 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

9. 9 (6 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

10. 10 (18 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie

Commodore

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

Since I made the TNG poll, here is one for DS9.

How would you rate this series?

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

I will be a good girl and abstain from the vote. I don't believe I've seen enough of them to make a well-informed opinion. Since I'll be receiving all 7 seasons on DVD in the next couple of weeks, that will change! Woo Hoo!

#3 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:48 PM

I went with an 8. I really liked DS9 and in many ways watching it is fulfilling to me. I believe the latter seasons are superior to the earlier ones and I don't think the show really took off for me until Worf joined it. Not just because of Worf, but because DS9 started to really find it's identity about that time.
Captain, I am not a merry man! - Worf "Qpid"

#4 shinkai

shinkai

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

10. DS9 is my fave Trek, period.
True, it didn't get going for the first couple seasons, but the show as a whole just rocked my world. I think what made it the best was the secondary characters. The other shows didn't have much of that, but because DS9 was a station we got to know its guest stars pretty well. In no small way, they were as big of a deal as the main cast. What would it have done without Garak, Dukat, Weyoun, or the Kai everyone loved to hate?
Actually, Weyoun alone makes the show a 10!! ;) :thumbsup:
"Darkness is a shroud, and the earth is in stillness,
For he who made them rests in his horizon."
-from Akhenaten's Great Hymn to the Aten

#5 aklaus

aklaus

Overanalyzinator ~~ Countdown Dumpster Diver

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

9. Really good but I guess they could top it.

#6 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:05 PM

7. I liked DS9 but not as good as TNG. Like most shows it did get better in later seasons.
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#7 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

7/10

I know the DS9 fandom will balk at this, but it was not my favorite show.
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#8 JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie

Commodore

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:51 PM

I gave DS9 a 7 out of 10. Its a great series but its not on my most favorite series list. It had a great storyline. I didn't care much for season 1 and 2

Posted Image

#9 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

I gave it an 8.
Posted Image
Leverage -- Season 5 on DVD Coming September 17th

"The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!" -- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost - Season 1
"Boone's death was a sacrifice that the island demanded." -- John Locke, Lost - Season 2
"When was it you lost your imagination, son?" -- Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe - Season 1

#10 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:36 AM

10/10

...simply for being the most realised of the Treks, and for bending some of Roddenberry's rules. A strong ensemble cast plus a whole bunch of secondary regulars. Trek's first out and out war. Trek's grittiest epsiodes along with some of Trek's best feel-good episodes. Simply brilliant.

#11 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:22 AM

I would vote - but it wouldn't be fair. I haven't seen enough of this show, along with VOY and ENT to make fair assessment. I can tell you I'm relly looking forward to watching them when we get the DVDs.

There's so much to take in. I think it'll be a ball!

#12 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

I gave it a 10. Great drama and stories. All the characters were wonderfully developed in this series.

#13 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

10/10, simply because it's amazing Trek. It's a very, very close second favorite series. I absolutely loved all the characters (even the slightly annoying ones that grew on me - Tom Paris and Harry Kim never grew on me), I loved the storylines, and I loved the war. Granted, at the beginning they did occassionally have a wanting or ill-told story, but the last couple seasons more than make up for it. I also believe the last few seasons has some of the greatest episode names ever (Wrongs Darker than Death or Night, Favor the Bold, The Seige of AR-558, Tacking into the Wind, When it Rains, I could go on). Also, like Jules said, it had its share of gritty and feel-good episodes, often back to back and in the middle of a war. The Ferengi episodes (I'm sooooo glad they had a Ferengi) were uniformly hilarious, as well as offering better insight to the race that didn't get enough fair treatment by the other series, and the gritty episodes (Rocks and Shoals is a perfect example) offer a bitter ending that still satisfies.
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#14 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

I'd probably give it a 5/10 or maybe a 6 for the first 3 seasons. But after that, definitely a 10/10.

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#15 Dr EMH

Dr EMH

Commander

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:16 PM

I giv it 6/10 ... slightly above average.

I hate storyline which is dark, otherwise i might as well watch SW, BSG, B5.

I watch Star Trek b'cos of it projects a bright utopia future which I look forward to, a good relaxing entertainment especially after a hard day work. The last thing I want is another "office politics" as shown frequently in DS9!
I'm a doctor, not a door stop. [ST:FC]

Singapore Star Trek Fansite ... www.startrek.sg ... for the fans, by the fans.

#16 Nveidra

Nveidra

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:58 PM

8/10 as this series was great, and gave me a lot of laughs as well as exciting you in that way trek does. However there were quite a few subplots that got dragged out a little too long.

Posted Image

#17 beSuvwl

beSuvwl

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:09 PM

Deep Space Nine started out slow and it was kinda ragged IMHO. But after Work came on the show the scripts seemed to get much better, we were shown a lot of deep inner conflicts within the crew members, there was a MUCH better showing of Klingons after this turning point and actual scripts were being written for Klingon characters. It was as if in the past (after STTNG) the Klingons were almost treated as Untouchables . . .from a Third World country . . .we knew about them but we did not really see them.

The Klingons had a culture that was full blown off of the screen, in communities like this one here, and numerous other Klingon RPG groups, Yahoo Klingon groups, Klingon Houses being formed and Klingon ships of the Klingon Navy and Klingon Marines being boarded and manned.

"Maybe" Paramount caught wind of how popular Klindom was in the Real World?

Anyways, Deep Space Nine opened up and showed a lot of Klingon lifestyles and worldviews than we had ever seen before on TV.

DS9 had a well written scrip "after-Worf came and much care seemed to be taken with small details,

I gave Deep Space Nine a "10"!

Qapla' batlh je

Ja'Krinda be'Suvwl (my House and Honorific have been withheld by me)

Edited by beSuvwl, 20 April 2008 - 05:10 PM.

Knowledge is Power!

#18 rods9

rods9

Welcomed Star Trek Fan

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:43 AM

I agree that it took awhile to get its "space legs", but so did TNG and ENTERPRISE. But by the third season it began to develop into the most complex series, evolving coherent, beautifully integrated storylines and large number orf characters -- who actually matured and with whom the viewer could empathize. Plenty of action and, in true STAR TREK fashion, plenty to think about. It turned out to be my favorite series.

#19 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:35 AM

Welcome to Trek United rods9!!

Space legs!! :clap: :clap:

It is true enough that each show needed some time to develop. Alas..the poor early demise of Enterprise...
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#20 Madame President

Madame President

Confused, as a general rule

• Members
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:34 AM

I haven't really watched a whole lot of deep space nine, but every episode where ben sisko is talkin' to the prophets I find a little like, annoying. I like most of the characters besides the captain, i think, unlike voyager where I like hardly anyone. so yeah I didn't vote and just wanted to ramble in this post right now. :P
"Only Nixon can go to China." -Vulcan Proverb

Landru: are you of the Body?

Proud to be a member of SANITY

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users