Was Ezri Dax worthless?

57 replies to this topic

#1 Ezri

Ezri

Ensign

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 07:55 PM

Was the character of Ezri Dax worthless as a character ?

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 poko

poko

Singer of Show Tunes

• Members
  • 20,440 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

no. The doctor finally got a girl.

-Doctor-

"The universe is big, its vast, and complicated, and ridiculous and sometimes - very rarely - impossible things just happen and we call them miracles."

"Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold."

Posted Image

#3 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

Ummm...isn't this essentially the same question as whether she was boring???

I'm thinking this Ezri ^^^ is having some serious self esteem issues!! :lol:

It is all love...we love em all... some characters we love to hate!!! Like...whatzername...Kes... :innocent:
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#4 Ezri

Ezri

Ensign

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:49 PM

Think Ezri should have been killed

#5 shinkai

shinkai

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

I think both actress & character had a hard time filling the Dax shoes. Add to that the fact that there wasn't really any time for character development. I just don't think we were given the chance to get to know her the way we did the others.
And yes, Bashir finally got a girl.. Lucky for him that the worm he'd actually been in love with all along came in pretty packages :D
"Darkness is a shroud, and the earth is in stillness,
For he who made them rests in his horizon."
-from Akhenaten's Great Hymn to the Aten

#6 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,707 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

And yes, Bashir finally got a girl.. Lucky for him that the worm he'd actually been in love with all along came in pretty packages :D

:roflmao:

That make the infamous phrase from Eating Raoul even funnier..."Down on your knees...you WORM!!"...or was it "Lick my shoes???" not so infamous afterall. :blink:

Edited by trekkin', 23 March 2008 - 09:43 PM.

"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#7 Ezri

Ezri

Ensign

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

Come on you know Ezri Dax is worthless if she is with Bashir. Leeta had half a brain to leave him just to marry that rodent.

#8 aklaus

aklaus

Overanalyzinator ~~ Countdown Dumpster Diver

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:10 AM

Only thing wrong with Bashir is he knew he was a cool kid. Well, and the character had a continuity problem (like seriously, we ran around inside his mind for a whole episode and his genetic secret never crawled out of the woodwork?).

#9 Ezri

Ezri

Ensign

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

I feel so sorry for Ezri ... maybe she does not have good taste in men

#10 Captain Phoenix

Captain Phoenix

Petty Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:58 PM

I agree with Shinkai. I wish Jadzia had stayed the whole way through it. But killing a main character in a series was something they've never done before. It really added a twist, stoking the burning rage inside Ben Sisko against Dukat. Ezri...was a bit too girly. She was very pretty and looked like she was starting to get the hang of it. But she sounded like she was 9! Yes, the doctor finally got his girl; good for him. But the thing between Worf and Ezri was strange. First he avoided her, then they had sex, then they stopped seeing each other at all. It was so flip-floppy and confusing. If we had brought in Ezri in season six it might have been different. Not much time for character development I know...but as I said, it added an interesting twist.

Oh and I also agree, this Ezri ^^^ is having some self-esteem issues. You need to set a schedule with the Counselor, Ezri.
In Captivity, in war, in peace, I will stand by my ship, and my crew, and never forget my duty as a Starfleet captain.

Keep Deep Space 9 alive!!! Sign this movie petition to make a Deep Space 9 movie!
http://www.petitiono...ed.cgi?ds9hrzns <<< CLICK AND SIGN <<<

#11 aklaus

aklaus

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:02 AM

You need to set a schedule with the Counselor, Ezri.

Ezri is the counselor :P

#12 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:39 PM

Yes, Ezri was worthless. I know they killed Dax because Terry Farrell was leaving the show, and I know Dax is capable of living more than one lifetime, but it felt awkward. I mean, Worf practically gets no chance to mourn as he has to look at someone who is more or less his wife, but who isn't his wife either. That's just mean. And while it seemed that Jadzia had a lot of Kurzon in her, it seemed that Ezri didn't have much of either of them in her. At least to me.

She ended up serving as a love interest to Bashir, which was nice and all, but in the end, she didn't really do anything and was kind of irritating.

Never try to replace a beloved character with a similar character. It always goes wrong and usually means you just jumped the shark.
Captain, I am not a merry man! - Worf "Qpid"

#13 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

I'm not so sure. There was a lot pf pathos in Ezri and I think that through her we learned a lot more about joined Trills. For example, we learned how hosts are selected and how they have to spend a long time preparing for their new role. The fact that Ezri never had this preparation and the irony of having initally been rejected played out really well. Yes, I was incensed when Sisko bawled her out and showed such a lack of sensitivity to her as a host, even when I knew he was appealing to the Dax symbiant (sp?) (just like he did on You Are Cordially Invited.) However, after the obvious complications with Worf's grieving process, I felt that her character really didn't go anywhere, and I really missed Dax! I don't think Ezri was played as well as Jadzia who always managed to bring the idea of all the previous Dax hosts into the role. She was too sweet and too girly.

#14 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:28 PM

I'm not so sure. There was a lot pf pathos in Ezri and I think that through her we learned a lot more about joined Trills. For example, we learned how hosts are selected and how they have to spend a long time preparing for their new role. The fact that Ezri never had this preparation and the irony of having initally been rejected played out really well. Yes, I was incensed when Sisko bawled her out and showed such a lack of sensitivity to her as a host, even when I knew he was appealing to the Dax symbiant (sp?) (just like he did on You Are Cordially Invited.) However, after the obvious complications with Worf's grieving process, I felt that her character really didn't go anywhere, and I really missed Dax! I don't think Ezri was played as well as Jadzia who always managed to bring the idea of all the previous Dax hosts into the role. She was too sweet and too girly.

Oh, I agree they milked her character for pathos, but to me it felt synthetic. Like it was being thrust upon us to justify this new character to us.

#15 Dr EMH

Dr EMH

Commander

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:04 PM

This is not a fair comparison ... the character Ezri Dax does not have enough time to be fully developed given only 1 season to fill up the gap from a previous regular character Jadzia Dax ... this remind me of Dr Pulaski who is replacing Dr Beverly Crusher for 1 season only in TNG.
I'm a doctor, not a door stop. [ST:FC]

Singapore Star Trek Fansite ... www.startrek.sg ... for the fans, by the fans.

#16 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

This is not a fair comparison ... the character Ezri Dax does not have enough time to be fully developed given only 1 season to fill up the gap from a previous regular character Jadzia Dax ... this remind me of Dr Pulaski who is replacing Dr Beverly Crusher for 1 season only in TNG.

That's why, it never should have happened. Why reintroduce us to a character when you know you're wrapping things up?

Edited by Radardog, 05 May 2008 - 06:09 PM.

#17 CaptainJohn

CaptainJohn

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:29 AM

I got my wife in to star trek. She likes Ezri better because Jadzia always had something smart to say.

#18 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:00 PM

But killing a main character in a series was something they've never done before.

:blink: Ummm...TASHA YAR WHAT?!!! Granted it happened in season 1 of TNG and we really didn't get to know Yar like we did Jadzia by the time she died at the end of season 6, but they HAD done it before.

However, after the obvious complications with Worf's grieving process, I felt that her character really didn't go anywhere, and I really missed Dax!

With episodes like "Prodigal Daughter" and "Field of Fire" in addition to the whole "Rescue Worf" story line from "Penumbra" on, we got to see a lot of development for Ezri.

Yes she was unsure of herself, but that was one of the more interesting aspects to her character. Who WOULDN'T be after having 7 lifetimes of other peoples memories suddenly thrown into you unexpectedly. Remember that Trills went through training for YEARS before being joined.

You also have to take into consideration the limited amount of time the writers had to really explore Ezri. Considering all that was going on in that last season I'm still amazed and pleased at the amount we got...which comparably speaking was more than Jadzia really got in one single season.

I WAS vastly grieved to see Jadzia go, but I liked Ezri. And I like what they've done with her in the DS9 continuation novels.

Posted Image

#19 louiskaty2

louiskaty2

Commodore

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:07 PM

Only thing wrong with Bashir is he knew he was a cool kid. Well, and the character had a continuity problem (like seriously, we ran around inside his mind for a whole episode and his genetic secret never crawled out of the woodwork?).

That genetically enhanced thing I never thought was a very good idea.
Gone...

#20 aklaus

aklaus

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 02:05 AM

That genetically enhanced thing I never thought was a very good idea.

It was a Hot Issue at the time, as I recall.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users