50 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:30 AM

Hopefully they won't give it a stupid name like "Vista"

Regardless, Microsoft has been promising that development for W7 would take three years, but it was never really clear when three years started. Turns out, three years started the day Vist was released (January 30, 2007). So, now we can expect the next version of Windows to come out sometime around 2010, but Microsoft understandably is not setting a firm date until they're sure it's ready for release. Additionally, they are promising that the kernel (that's the very base of the OS) is being rebuilt from scratch. Then again, they've promised that since Windows 95, and everything since then has simply been an evolution of 95, so we'll see about that.

Here's hoping Microsoft doesn't blow it as badly as they did with Vista! :cheers:

http://news.softpedi...-M2-80768.shtml

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:09 PM

XP systems are quickly going the way of the dodo. Supposedly the switch is being made to place Vista on all machines until Windows 7, and the bugs won't be fixed!

Posted Image

#3 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:29 PM

There are numerous petitions floating around the web for people who want Microsoft to extend the life of XP even longer. General consensus is that businesses aren't ever going to switch to Vista, even if SP1 improves it. They like XP, and they'd rather upgrade to 7 in a few years than go to Vista now then go to 7.

And I happened to like the name "Vista". :P

Posted Image

#4 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

So they release Vista, and now in 2 years something else? I know that's how technology usually works but <_<

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#5 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:44 PM

So they release Vista, and now in 2 years something else? I know that's how technology usually works but <_<

Three years from Vista. :P

Windows 98 was three years after 95, ME about three years after 98, XP within a few years of that...Vista is an outlier that it took so long.

Posted Image

#6 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

Three years from Vista. :P

Windows 98 was three years after 95, ME about three years after 98, XP within a few years of that...Vista is an outlier that it took so long.

XP and Vista is around 5 and half years apart...I was thinking Vista would be around 4 or 5 before switching.

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#7 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

Vista was delayed several years. It was supposed to be out in like 2005.

Posted Image

#8 Pyrion

Pyrion

Warrant Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:14 PM

What's really a crying shame is their plan to ship a 32-bit version. You'd think by now people would realize that the 3GB (no, NOT 4GB, in all practical scenarios you don't get much more than 3GB) barrier is around the corner, some are already running into it, and the intelligent (and daring, some would say) have already migrated to 64-bit. MS could solve the problem neatly for everybody by forcing the issue, ship the newest version of Windows only as 64-bit and tell people to put up or shut up.
Posted Image

#9 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

Eh, they want to include as many upgraders as possible. More potential customers = more potential money. ;)

Posted Image

#10 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:11 AM

The point being that you should never, ever upgrade an OS. It only causes problems. Start with a virgin computer and a new OS instead.

This is good news for me, provided Microsoft is more sensible with the limitations it sets on pirated software and especially media files are more sensible than on Vista.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#11 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

So Windows in 2010...or is it 2009? Hints dropped this week could be pointing toward a 2009 release. Maybe they're looking to quietly sweep Vista under the rug and convert people with a newer OS.

http://www.pcworld.c...ws/article.html

Posted Image

#12 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:09 AM

IN the meantime...I'm praying my laptop lives through this period of time as I access my office through VPN which requires XP - (and then dumbs down to ...get this...NT.)

yikes.

#13 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:22 AM

IN the meantime...I'm praying my laptop lives through this period of time as I access my office through VPN which requires XP - (and then dumbs down to ...get this...NT.)

yikes.

Ah, but you may have been given a bit of a reprieve...sorta...

Microsoft extends XP on low-cost laptops through June 2010 or one year after Windows 7 (whichever comes later).

Posted Image

#14 RogueEntity

RogueEntity

::Resident Dragon::

• Members
  • 7,369 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

The point being that you should never, ever upgrade an OS. It only causes problems. Start with a virgin computer and a new OS instead.

This is good news for me, provided Microsoft is more sensible with the limitations it sets on pirated software and especially media files are more sensible than on Vista.

That isnt always true, Linux based systems don't have to be fresh-installed to upgrade without any issues. Take Debian as an example "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" from the command line (as root) nicely fetches and upgrades to the next release version without any hassle.
"Difficult takes a few seconds; impossible, a few minutes" - McKay

#15 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,622 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

Or in the end they'll bump it back to 2012 then they'll be able to call it "Armageddon Edition; the last OS you'll ever use....." :P
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#16 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:00 AM

Yeah, well... I hope to have enough time soon to install one of the beginner distros on my current computer (probably Kubuntu since I already have a CD that came with a computer mag) and get a new compie. I do have some software that won't run on linux... XP is still being sold at least as an OEM release. I do have the installation disk for this computer, but it's a brand name one with some customization so I don't know how kindly it would take to being installed on another machine... My bf is building my next computer, though.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#17 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:29 AM

I haven't got Vista yet. I don't think I would be intrested in Windows 2010 or 2011 or whenever it gets released.
I thought about getting Vista when SP1 comes out but it is still expensive to get a OEM/Retail version.
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#18 sevnson_71

sevnson_71

TU Forum Manager - Resident killjoy

• Forum Administrators
  • 13,622 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

Ask people in here who have it before you jump, hehe
Posted Image

So the combination is 1-2-3-4-5. That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! That's the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!- Dark Helmet; "Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils." - Gen. John Stark; "Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can't, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it." -Robert Frost; "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." - Samuel Adams, Brewer/Patriot
FORUM RULES

#19 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:14 PM

Turns out that the "or so" in "sometime in the next year or so" means 2010.

http://www.informati...cleID=207100040

I could also mean that crazy old Bill Gates was talking about when developers will start to see Windows 7. Microsoft proper, however, is saying that Average Joe still doesn't stand a chance of seeing W7 any time before January 2010, three years after the release of Windows Vista. And maybe not even then; like the cranky old lady baking cakes down at the pastry shop, "It'll be ready when it's ready, @Q#$(#*@!"

Posted Image

#20 RogueEntity

RogueEntity

::Resident Dragon::

• Members
  • 7,369 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:22 AM

I haven't got Vista yet. I don't think I would be intrested in Windows 2010 or 2011 or whenever it gets released.
I thought about getting Vista when SP1 comes out but it is still expensive to get a OEM/Retail version.

I have Vista Ultimate with SP1. Runs quite smoothly for me on 5 year old hardware too. YMMV
"Difficult takes a few seconds; impossible, a few minutes" - McKay

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users