Photo

Synopsis for David Mack's 'Gods of the Night' novel, first in Star Trek: Destiny trilogy

27 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

Posted ImageAmazon.co.uk has posted a synopsis for the upcoming Trek novel, 'Gods of the Night,' the first of three books in Pocket Book's planned Star Trek: Destiny crossover trilogy, featuring the crews of the Enterprise-E, Titan, and Defiant. Check out the back-of-the-book summary below (highlight to read).

The Borg return -- with a vengeance! Blitzkreig attacks by the single-minded aliens with their hive mentality and their mission to assimilate every intelligent being they encounter are leaving whole worlds aflame. No one knows how they are slipping past Starfleet's defences, so Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise crew are detailed to find out -- and to put a stop to it if they can.

Meanwhile, thousands of light years away, Captain Will Riker and the crew of the Titan follow bizarre energy pulses to a mysterious, hidden world. There they find a figure out of legend: a Starfleet captain long thought dead. And at the same time, over in the Gamma Quadrant, newly promoted Captain Dax and her crew investigate the wreck of the Earth starship Columbia NX-02, missing in action for more than two centuries.

[via: 8of5's Guide to Trek Collective]
Pre-order: Amazon.com
Pre-order: Amazon.co.uk

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 11:12 AM

Gotta love one-click! Thanks for the heads up!

#3 Hamilton

Hamilton

Commodore

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:38 PM

I can't wait for this book to come out... :) Especially because the books really do a good job of portraying Ezri Dax. I'm curious to see how well they do with the newly promoted Captain Dax. ;)

#4 Hamilton

Hamilton

Commodore

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

Question... anybody read the book yet?

#5 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

I just got the email that it was shipped by Amazon yesterday....due to be delivered on the 25th.

Edited by Terilynn, 23 September 2008 - 05:20 PM.

#6 Hamilton

Hamilton

Commodore

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 10:52 AM

I just got the email that it was shipped by Amazon yesterday....due to be delivered on the 25th.

Seriously? Stupid Barnes and Noble told me I'd have to wait till the 30th... :( *gets on knees and prays for the book to get here faster*

#7 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

I have it in my hands.....

I'm soooooo afraid to read it.

#8 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:36 AM

So - I've begun.

[color=#ff0011;background:#ff0011]This is an ALL Around crossover....NX-02, DS9, Jadzia in flashback and Ezri in present. Titan has just begun (I'm 70 pages in) I'm devestated already - Riker/Troi pregnancy is failing - and it's developing into it's either Troi or the baby. I've got a BAAAD feeling about these books....*sigh*[/color]

#9 Williams

Williams

'Slice of Sci Fi' News Team 'Doctor Who' Researc

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:24 PM

ARRR, this seems like just the sot of thing that will peak my interest and desperate need of more Trek. Why am I so cashless at the moment?? *sigh* it will have to be an xmas present.. To those who have it, does it have a prequal (of sorts- are there stories which link to these even if distantly?) I'm relativly new to novelisations of Star Trek you see!

Enjoy you lucky owners!
"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King.

Posted Image- Targ & Duck Pub! Now open for business :)

#10 Hamilton

Hamilton

Commodore

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:02 PM

So - I've begun.

[color=#ff0011;background:#ff0011]This is an ALL Around crossover....NX-02, DS9, Jadzia in flashback and Ezri in present. Titan has just begun (I'm 70 pages in) I'm devestated already - Riker/Troi pregnancy is failing - and it's developing into it's either Troi or the baby. I've got a BAAAD feeling about these books....*sigh*[/color]

OMG!!! The 30th will not get here fast enough. Keep reading, you can do it!!! :) I have faith in you.

ARRR, this seems like just the sot of thing that will peak my interest and desperate need of more Trek. Why am I so cashless at the moment?? *sigh* it will have to be an xmas present.. To those who have it, does it have a prequal (of sorts- are there stories which link to these even if distantly?) I'm relativly new to novelisations of Star Trek you see!

Enjoy you lucky owners!

I'm sure that this links to all the relaunch novels in all the Trek series... how many of those have you read?

#11 Williams

Williams

'Slice of Sci Fi' News Team 'Doctor Who' Researc

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:14 PM

I'm sure that this links to all the relaunch novels in all the Trek series... how many of those have you read?

Well, none :blush5: . I am really a complete newbie to Star Trek novelisations. I may open a topic to ask advice on this matter (all novels in general). But ok.. so the Relaunch series certainly sounds interesting i'll look into it. Thanks :)
"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King.

Posted Image- Targ & Duck Pub! Now open for business :)

#12 Hamilton

Hamilton

Commodore

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

Well, none :blush5: . I am really a complete newbie to Star Trek novelisations. I may open a topic to ask advice on this matter (all novels in general). But ok.. so the Relaunch series certainly sounds interesting i'll look into it. Thanks :)

I haven't read any of the Voyager relaunch novels, but I have read several of the TNG and DS9 ones. I highly recommend starting out with the DS9 books... you won't want to put them down.

#13 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

I'm tempted to give these a try, but I'm totally unfamiliar with the Titan novels and everything to do with DS9, so I'd probably be pretty lost.

#14 Hamilton

Hamilton

Commodore

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

I'm tempted to give these a try, but I'm totally unfamiliar with the Titan novels and everything to do with DS9, so I'd probably be pretty lost.

I heard there's a character guide in the back so you'll know who all the major players are.

Give in to the temptation!!! ;)

#15 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:43 PM

And you can totally ask me about the Titan books - a few characters you already know....Tuvok, Riker and Troi....others are TOTALLY AWESOME - Dr. Ree is a freaking genius character (he's reptilian, looks like a velociraptor, carniverous and specializes in OB/GYN - you've GOTTA love that.)

All I will say for now is that I hate Mack for making me like this so far. He's so good at making you want to turn the next page even though I'm personally not fond of what's happening to the characters...

BUT.....I finally got through the Titan piece [color=#ff0011;background:#ff0011](I was sad...okay? Riker cried man...when Riker cries...I cry)[/color] and I'm going to start on the Enterprise piece here...

Edited by Terilynn, 25 September 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#16 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 11:05 PM

I haven't read any of the Voyager relaunch novels, but I have read several of the TNG and DS9 ones. I highly recommend starting out with the DS9 books... you won't want to put them down.

The VOY relaunch novels are both good and bad. The first two: "Homecoming" and "The Distant Shore" were actually pretty good. They pick up immediately where "Endgame" left off.

However the Spirit Walk duality was a bit less successful. I'd read them only because I'm sure parts of them will come into play now that PB has moved all of the TNG-era books to a post-Nemesis time-frame.

My only complaint about this series is that the DS9 and even VOY post-finales haven't really caught up to the Destiny time-frame. So there's going to be some backpeddling to do, especially in the DS9 universe next year when their new novel comes out.

Posted Image

#17 Hamilton

Hamilton

Commodore

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 03:01 PM

The VOY relaunch novels are both good and bad. The first two: "Homecoming" and "The Distant Shore" were actually pretty good. They pick up immediately where "Endgame" left off.

However the Spirit Walk duality was a bit less successful. I'd read them only because I'm sure parts of them will come into play now that PB has moved all of the TNG-era books to a post-Nemesis time-frame.

My only complaint about this series is that the DS9 and even VOY post-finales haven't really caught up to the Destiny time-frame. So there's going to be some backpeddling to do, especially in the DS9 universe next year when their new novel comes out.

I haven't read the VOY relaunch novels yet... but I'll make it a point to pick up the first two.

I'm pretty miffed about what they're doing with the DS9 relaunch, but only in regards to how they're making us wait forever and a bloody day to get the next part of the story. The books themselves are amazing, it's just that all this waiting aggravates me... patience is not one of my strong suits.

However, the waiting in general is a big problem with the different relaunches... they need to fix that.

#18 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:32 PM

However, the waiting in general is a big problem with the different relaunches... they need to fix that.

Unforunately that doesn't seem to be in the works anytime soon. The guys over at PocketBooks came up with a new publishing schedule...where basically you're getting one TPB/month with other editions coming as well (mass market, hardback, etc.) So if an author has an issue or a setback, the novel may be delayed a lot longer than he/she really planned. And the editors are stuck in the schedule so look at what happened with "Fearful Symmetry". It went through a switch in author assignment AND had a delay. So instead of getting it back in 2007, we had to wait over a year to get it. :( Now granted it's a good novel, but it seriously delayed the progression of that series and thus why it's not quite up to date w/the Destiny series. :(

Posted Image

#19 Hamilton

Hamilton

Commodore

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:36 PM

Unforunately that doesn't seem to be in the works anytime soon. The guys over at PocketBooks came up with a new publishing schedule...where basically you're getting one TPB/month with other editions coming as well (mass market, hardback, etc.) So if an author has an issue or a setback, the novel may be delayed a lot longer than he/she really planned. And the editors are stuck in the schedule so look at what happened with "Fearful Symmetry". It went through a switch in author assignment AND had a delay. So instead of getting it back in 2007, we had to wait over a year to get it. :( Now granted it's a good novel, but it seriously delayed the progression of that series and thus why it's not quite up to date w/the Destiny series. :(

Seriously? Not only does that sound like a bad system, it is one!

At the very least, they need to set it up so we get at least three novels from each of the series during the year. I'll settle for two, but... I'd like three. Preferably four new books a year. :)

#20 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

Well...about 3/4th of the way done with Destiny Book one. I think the people at PocketBooks smoke really bad dope. Now two of the story lines infuriate me to the point of illness. They're so off base it's seriously not even funny.

If I had the ability to surgically remove those stupid-ass (cahracter based) story lines, I would totally love this book so far. I'm liking the crossover aspect to it. The flow is actually quite good. But when I trip over those two aspects...I seriously get so angry I have to pace the room and find a way to lurch through it to get back to the good parts...

As much as I will HATE them if they eff with the characters at the end of this trilogy, I will be so grossly dissappointed if there if a deus ex machina resolution to their problems...

[color=#ff0011;background:#ff0011]My stomach is so sick. Crusher pregant with Picard's kid? Troi will lose this pregancy AND will never be able to bear children again? WTF? THEN Admiral Paris is dead...Be'lanna's kid a Klingon god and she LEFT TOM?

They already killed off Janeway in Before Dishonor - they've proven they don't mind killing off another character...if only 11 ships are left at the end of all of this...perhaps it's because Pocketbooks knows how bad they phloxed things up...OH I'm so grrrrrrrr![/color]

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users