Photo

whats the point of sheilds in the movies?

16 replies to this topic

#1 ssjautobot

ssjautobot

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:32 PM

this has always bothered me! whenever a ship gets in a great fight, their shields have little or no effect

1. Enterprise E - in first contact, when the borg ship fired at it, it has a grand sphere shaped sheild that protected it greatly, but in nemesis, the shield was in the shape of the ship, and was pratically a few feet away from the hull, and when it was fired at, it went directly through the sheilds.

2. enterprise a- same as e, in undiscovered country, it had its sheilds on, but the BoP damaged it almost as if there were no sheilds in the first place.

3. enterprise d- sheilds were completly useless in generations, just because of that lame plot device

anyone feel the same way?

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 07:42 AM

I'm afraid I don't have all the answers, sometimes it stumps me too. As for Generations, the Klingons got a hold of the Enterprise's shield modulation, therefore they adjusted their torpedoes to match, thus penetrating their shields with ease.

Why the shape difference between the shields in FC and Nemesis, I dunno except maybe for visual effetcs appeal.

As for Undiscovered Country, it was clear the last torpedo burst through the hull, so my guess is that particular area of shields was weakened enough, but not the entire shields.

But we can clearly see in TWOK what happens when the Enterprise has no shields! :D

Posted Image

#3 Aric

Aric

Ensign

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:48 PM

The tackyon emissions from the silver screen disrupt the shield harmonics :lol: :dunce:

Posted Image

#4 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:55 PM

this has always bothered me! whenever a ship gets in a great fight, their shields have little or no effect

1. Enterprise E - in first contact, when the borg ship fired at it, it has a grand sphere shaped sheild that protected it greatly, but in nemesis, the shield was in the shape of the ship, and was pratically a few feet away from the hull, and when it was fired at, it went directly through the sheilds.

2. enterprise a- same as e, in undiscovered country, it had its sheilds on, but the BoP damaged it almost as if there were no sheilds in the first place.

3. enterprise d- sheilds were completly useless in generations, just because of that lame plot device

The shields in any of the series or films goes as follows: Shields hold in direct correlation to the stakes that are on the line in the part of the script. At the end of the film, the shields ALWAYS fail. Otherwise, nobody would care.
Captain, I am not a merry man! - Worf "Qpid"

#5 68mustangfan

68mustangfan

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

As for Undiscovered Country, it was clear the last torpedo burst through the hull, so my guess is that particular area of shields was weakened enough, but not the entire shields.

But the ship was taking damage right from the first shot
Posted Image

#6 aklaus

aklaus

Overanalyzinator ~~ Countdown Dumpster Diver

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

The shields in any of the series or films goes as follows: Shields hold in direct correlation to the stakes that are on the line in the part of the script. At the end of the film, the shields ALWAYS fail. Otherwise, nobody would care.

I think that would be inverse correlation...the higher the stakes, the weaker the shields.

#7 Legolas

Legolas

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:29 PM

The shields, as far as i have read about them, were divided roughly in two sections.
Don't hold me by the words here but the bubble shields were further away and were SUPPOSED to be weaker in any one point of the shield surface. The "envelope" shields were significantly closer to the hull and were, again, supposed to be stronger on a point as the energy was more concentrated in that thinner energy envelope...
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...

Olórin (Gandalf): Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Legolas:"Boe a hyn... Neled herein - dan caer menig."
Aragorn:"Si, beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras."
Legolas:"Aragorn, nedin dagor hen-ú-erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer."
Aragorn:"Then i shall die as one of them!"
Posted Image
Lle quena i'lambe tel' Eldalie? (Do you speak Elvish?)

#8 Ben_Jamin

Ben_Jamin

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:03 PM

Right, here we go:

1. They would probably explain it away as some kind of technological advance that is why the shields were closer. Or they would just say they needed someting that looked better than the bubble, lol.

2. I think that was just due to the fact that first of all, the shields weren't up. This could then lead to the argument that the shield generator was damaged, so that explains that one away.

3. The plot device was cleverly done. I liked how the Duras sisters and Soran got through it. It was a very good idea, becaue it showed why exactly Soran's idea of a more normal looking prosthesis was a good idea, you can't just take off a pair of eyes.
http://ds-10.starfleetuk.org <--- USS Paladin, Sovereign Class, Obsidian Fleet
http://anne.epsilonf...x.php?page=main <--- USS Anne, Ambassador Class, Epsilon Force

"A Female's in the House, She Must be Mounted." - Alan Harper About Charlie Harper's sleeping with Judith's new sister-in-law, Two and a Half Men

#9 Legolas

Legolas

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

I think that in Undiscovered country movie the shields were up but were losing power with every hit. I think the plot was meant that Enterprise was weakened before that confrontation by using up the reserve power at warp.

Bubble shields were developed later in the timeline, somewhere between TOS and TNG era...
Star trek shields
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...

Olórin (Gandalf): Losto Caradhras, sedho, hodo, nuitho i 'ruith!

Legolas:"Boe a hyn... Neled herein - dan caer menig."
Aragorn:"Si, beriathar hyn ammaeg na ned Edoras."
Legolas:"Aragorn, nedin dagor hen-ú-erir ortheri. Natha daged dhaer."
Aragorn:"Then i shall die as one of them!"
Posted Image
Lle quena i'lambe tel' Eldalie? (Do you speak Elvish?)

#10 Apocalypse

Apocalypse

The Baron, Resident Duelist

• Members
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

The tackyon emissions from the silver screen disrupt the shield harmonics :lol: :dunce:

First rule of Trek tech: Blame it on tachyons.
Second rule: If that fails, pretend it's some kind of anomaly.
Third rule: If that fails, make phlox up.
Recent-ish blog entry: The D20-headed Knight, Chapter Six: The Prodigal Steve Returns
"Oh, come on... be reasonable. You can't destroy everything; where would you sit?"
-The Tick

#11 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 01:43 AM

First rule of Trek tech: Blame it on tachyons.
Second rule: If that fails, pretend it's some kind of anomaly.
Third rule: If that fails, make phlox up.

Unless it is Voyager...then the tachyons are your friends...and you use them to destroy...something...

Then follow rules II an III.
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#12 Ben_Jamin

Ben_Jamin

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:57 AM

Yeah, and the reason you blame Tachyons?

Because they're just so Tachy, lol.

Nah, I see the point, They do follow those rules a lot. But my joke does say it all, lol.
http://ds-10.starfleetuk.org <--- USS Paladin, Sovereign Class, Obsidian Fleet
http://anne.epsilonf...x.php?page=main <--- USS Anne, Ambassador Class, Epsilon Force

"A Female's in the House, She Must be Mounted." - Alan Harper About Charlie Harper's sleeping with Judith's new sister-in-law, Two and a Half Men

#13 Ronin of Fire

Ronin of Fire

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:37 AM

Did anyone notice the Sheilds the Starfleet officers in ST V didnt evan block thrown rocks.
"From the Skies we shall Reign"- Unknown Fed. Marine before HARLAO jumping on to AR-558 during Operation Starfall

#14 Captain Ezri Dax

Captain Ezri Dax

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

my viewpoint, people like to see the shields and also notice the battle damage too. Battle damage does make great images.

#15 Ronin of Fire

Ronin of Fire

2nd Year Cadet

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:42 AM

Yeah but its mildly irrataiting to hear Sheilds Up and the the first shot tears a nice chunk clean out of the saucer section. Besides it gives a feel for how Desprite a situation is when they finally do go down.
"From the Skies we shall Reign"- Unknown Fed. Marine before HARLAO jumping on to AR-558 during Operation Starfall

#16 Kuro-chan

Kuro-chan

Master Rank Designer

• VIP
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:59 AM

Or better yet, when they don't work at all. (ST2,3,7)

Besides, anyone should know shields are about as effective as the "Script" allows them to be. No matter how powerful the ship is, the "Script" is God.
- Kuro-chan, the purple-haired, rank-making... Person! ^^

Posted Image

#17 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:31 AM

Now that i think about it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users