why the hate for nemesis?

21 replies to this topic

#1 ssjautobot

ssjautobot

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:00 PM

sorry if this has been asked here, but i am new here. so i was wondering what is with the hate for nemesis? personally, i loved it. its one of my favs

#2 Rakulp

Rakulp

Commodore

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek and the online game Asheron's Call

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:22 PM

Greetings,

Welcome aboard!

Personally, I have not seen the movie since it was in the theatre and remember clearly coming out totally ticked off about the way it ended. Destroying Data like that, for whatever reason, was my biggest problem. Frankly, I can't remember enough of the rest of it to comment.

I would watch it again, just for the sake of seeing it...but I doubt I would change my opinion of it.

Again, welcome!

Rakulp
"Honor Above All"

#3 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek of course, theatre, films, music, reading and writing.

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:14 PM

There's a lot of us who didn't outright hate the film. It just wasn't one of my personal faves. However I bought the DVD and watch it!

#4 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts
  • Interests:Here I am. All dressed up. That doesn't happen often!

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:51 PM

Not one of my favs, but I don't hate it. I don't like what they did with Data, but I think they knew it was the last one, so they went for it. I too bought the DVD. If nothing else, it has some wonderful battle scenes. Don't get me wrong...I still watch it once in a while.
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if your smart. If you have any plans of seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap...Me!" - The (11th) Doctor. [/center][/size]

#5 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts
  • Interests:For this forum - 'Star Trek' obviously! I write fan fiction and am currently in the process of writing a planned series of fan novels based on the joint adventures of Jean-Luc Picard and Shinzon (it's amazing what you can do with a bit of bad science and a huge amount of imagination!). Actually, I've been trekking since 1969 and I love all Star Trek. I have books galore and I collect Art Asylum 7" Star Trek figures as well.Apart from that I love movies, reading, music and occasionally making my own art.

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:35 AM

Hi and welcome!

Check out our 17 page Nemesis thread and our new Nemesis script thread. You're among friends! :)

#6 ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike

Fleet Admiral

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 2,497 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:01 AM

The only issue I had with Nemesis is how much better it could've been. Stuart Baird just wasn't the right Director for this. The same script could've worked given some enthusiasm behind the camera. Even adding all the deleted scenes wouldn't be much of an improvement. The performances are pretty flat and if the cast did hit the mark, it feels like the wrong "take" was continually being used.

Despite all those this, it doesn't quite sink as low as "The Final Frontier". Not on my countdown of the films, at any rate.

#7 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

Welcome!

You will find little to no hate for it here on this forum! Aside from The Wrath of Khan, it is my favorite Star Trek film. It's one of those films I actually enjoy more and get more out of every time I watch it, and, it contains one of the best space battle scenes ever in Star Trek, amongst one of the best villains and henchman!

Posted Image

#8 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, NuBSG, the Warcraft and Starcraft universes, nature, cooking shows, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), general nerdery.

Posted 27 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

I started a similar thread a ways back. I never did quite figure out why people don't like it. Personally, I think it was brilliant.

#9 NX014Ever

NX014Ever

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,907 posts
  • Interests:Here I am. All dressed up. That doesn't happen often!

Posted 27 February 2008 - 05:36 PM

It was certainly much, much better than "Insurrection" in my book.
"There's one thing you never put in a trap if your smart. If you have any plans of seeing tomorrow there's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap...Me!" - The (11th) Doctor. [/center][/size]

#10 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:17 PM

I never hated it. I consider Nemesis to be my fave TNG cast movie. ;)

#11 Captain Phoenix

Captain Phoenix

Petty Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:45 AM

They finally killed someone but killing data was wrong. Kill someone else like...Deanna troi or sumthing, in "all good things" she dies anyway...the movie had awesome graphics and a pretty good story line but again killing data was wrong!
In Captivity, in war, in peace, I will stand by my ship, and my crew, and never forget my duty as a Starfleet captain.

Keep Deep Space 9 alive!!! Sign this movie petition to make a Deep Space 9 movie!
http://www.petitiono...ed.cgi?ds9hrzns <<< CLICK AND SIGN <<<

#12 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:43 AM

They finally killed someone but killing data was wrong. Kill someone else like...Deanna troi or sumthing, in "all good things" she dies anyway...the movie had awesome graphics and a pretty good story line but again killing data was wrong!

I agree, killing Data was wrong, or at least, it wasn't executed very well, B4 ruined almost any emotion to the loss, like it was half a loss instead of a full loss...but yeah, we have had discussions about it in the other thread, and overall people are pissed about Data's death, the one cloud in the sky when it comes to Nemesis.

Posted Image

#13 Captain Phoenix

Captain Phoenix

Petty Officer 1st Class

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

And even though Data did the file transfer with B4, he'll never be "Data" as we know again.
In Captivity, in war, in peace, I will stand by my ship, and my crew, and never forget my duty as a Starfleet captain.

Keep Deep Space 9 alive!!! Sign this movie petition to make a Deep Space 9 movie!
http://www.petitiono...ed.cgi?ds9hrzns <<< CLICK AND SIGN <<<

#14 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:29 PM

Yes, you'll find there are many of us here who truly do enjoy Nemesis, flawed as Baird might have made it. My advice for Data? Remember why he died, and what that meant for his journey to become human (the last step was ultimately the most tragic). Oh, and completely ignore B4. That only takes away from the poignancy.
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#15 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:47 PM

^ Here, here! What he said!

#16 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, filmmaking, etc.

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:29 PM

I agree, killing Data was wrong, or at least, it wasn't executed very well, B4 ruined almost any emotion to the loss, like it was half a loss instead of a full loss...but yeah, we have had discussions about it in the other thread, and overall people are pissed about Data's death, the one cloud in the sky when it comes to Nemesis.

Well, let them be pissed. Spiner helped write the story and Spiner wanted the option not to return for another film. So, he forced Data's death and in the mean time, pissed away the Star Trek movie franchise as well.

I agree, Deanna's death would have been more poignant.
Captain, I am not a merry man! - Worf "Qpid"

#17 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, NuBSG, the Warcraft and Starcraft universes, nature, cooking shows, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), general nerdery.

Posted 04 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

Am I the only one who didn't mind B4?

#18 Terilynn

Terilynn

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

Yes. ;) :P

#19 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

I'm going to agree with Ms. Terilynn here. You are.
[url="[url][url]http://startrekaldrin.com"][/url][/url][img][url][url]http://startrekaldrin.com/sic-semper-sig.png[/url][/url][/img][/url]

#20 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 07:37 AM

Strike one for you :P

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users