30 replies to this topic

#1 Ezri

Ezri

Ensign

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

Was Ezri Dax boring on DS9?

She could have been a little stronger but we know how wild and strong the mirror Ezri was.

You tell me, would she have been much stronger it she was just a little bit taller?

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:09 PM

I dunno, Nog was a very strong character, and he was short. Ezri could have been loads better, but, well... she wasn't. Pity.

Posted Image

#3 Ezri

Ezri

Ensign

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:15 PM

That is true, there was so many times that Ezri Dax looked so weak.

Even with the times she did use a weapon she got stronger but I really was thinking. Darn girl, you can do better.

With Kes and Ezri, would have to say both characters were weak and could be much stronger. Think everyone has pointed out their weakness not were they were strong.

#4 Red_Skirt

Red_Skirt

Commander

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:18 PM

I liked ezri.. I think given more time..her character would have blossomed!!

I think that most people didnt give her a chance because they were still in love with Jadzia!!
Its like one of your parents died.. and your other parent starts dating to soon...

Edited by Red_Skirt, 13 February 2008 - 11:21 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
made by the memebers of Arch-Angels

#5 aklaus

aklaus

Overanalyzinator ~~ Countdown Dumpster Diver

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:19 PM

I think one contributing factor is that she was competing for screen time with MUCH more established characters.

#6 Ezri

Ezri

Ensign

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:23 PM

I liked ezri.. I think given more time..her character would have blossomed!!

I think that most people didnt give her a chance because they were still in love with Jadzia!!

BINGO you got it.

Everyone was upset that Terry left the show. BIG DEAL SHE QUIT.

Yes Jadzia was taller, was stronger as a woman, ect ect ect.

The fact is this, did we really want a cookie cutter of some looking and acting like her

#7 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:43 PM

I think Ezri's character needed more time...She came on so late in the series...

That is acceptable as far as weakness goes. I can stomach that...Jadzia was a hard act to follow.

As far as Kes goes...Her weakness is sort of insulting by comparison. They (those writer/producer guys...men...) created a weak character at the very beginning. There was a lot of room for her character to grow considering the short lifespan they gave her species. Lots more interesting stuff could have happened...or what did happen could have been more emphatic. She just cruised through situations...like the pregnancy thing...Hell...it took B'lana longer to battle her Klingon demons than Kes was on the show.

Then again they let the Harry Kim muddle along all that time, too...ahhhh!

Just my humble opinion.

oops...ranted there a little...yikes..

AND I'm a Voyager fan!!
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#8 Ezri

Ezri

Ensign

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 11:50 PM

Ya Ezri was stronger than Kes.

Still, both woman had the same body type.

Still with Ezri she was growing and became much stronger as a character at the end of the season.

Maybe she had to much air time then the rest of the cast.

Still, DS9 could not work with only one leading female Kira.

In fairness, what is it with star trek to have only two leading females on the show.

#9 Rakulp

Rakulp

Commodore

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 01:58 AM

BINGO you got it.

Everyone was upset that Terry left the show. BIG DEAL SHE QUIT.

Yes Jadzia was taller, was stronger as a woman, ect ect ect.

The fact is this, did we really want a cookie cutter of some looking and acting like her

Greetings,

Yes, fans were upset that the character died...whether the trill was placed in Ezri or Homer Simpson wouldn't have mattered too much at that point. It was a big deal to those who had watched all the characters grow over those many seasons.

The analogy between Kes and Ezri is a good one, when comparing their size and perceived weaknesses...however, at least we had a chance to see Kes for a few years. One year is never enough time to even begin to scratch the surface of a character.

Rakulp
"Honor Above All"

#10 Nog

Nog

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 14 February 2008 - 02:56 AM

I didn't have any problems with Ezri, I liked her thru and thru. I wouldn't say I liked her more than Jadzia, but she compared favorably in many ways. deboer played the hand that she was dealt well enough.

As to her appearances, I can't imagine someone really complaining about that. I mean, c'mon.

Kes may have gotten gipped a little at the very beginning of Voyager, but she played big roles in the series at various times as well. Voyager's writers weren't as good as DS9's in bringing non-crew characters to life, but she was a big part of that show.

Which LMan Emoto is your favorite?
Posted Image

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. -- Eleanor Roosevelt

#11 Freddie

Freddie

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 07:39 AM

I had trouble warming up to Ezri because the end of Jadzia was so abrupt. I don't think she was a bad character, but I never really got to know her.

Kes I didn't like the first time around, but I like the character better watching it again.

#12 Ezri

Ezri

Ensign

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:06 AM

It did take me some time to love Ezri Dax. Maybe I like her as she gave it her best shot with what she could only do with a single season. It did take two seasons to really get to like the characters of DS9.

#13 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 12:46 AM

Ezri was a good character. I thought her performance in "Field of Fire" was first rate.

#14 JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie

Commodore

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:24 AM

I didn't like Ezri at all during season 7. She hardly did anything during the season.

Jadzia was way better

Posted Image

#15 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:42 PM

I didn't like Ezri at all during season 7. She hardly did anything during the season.

Jadzia was way better

Imo, Ezri did more in one season than many characters did in seven. For example, she discovered the identity of the mystery sniper in "Field of Fire", helped Worf to come to term with his emotions and anger over Jadzia's murder, and got involved with Julian. I think those are fairly important things for a character to accomplish in less than 26 appearances.

#16 Pollywog

Pollywog

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:47 PM

I don't think either Kes or Ezri were "weak" but I think people saw Ezri as weak compared with Jadzia.

I recall Kes was brought back for one episode in which, if I recall correctly, she was bitter and angry with her former shipmates and I thought it was because she had spent so much of her short lifespan (Ocampa live only about 9 yrs, or perhaps it was 7) with them. She certainly didn't seem weak then.

#17 Kyle Nin

Kyle Nin

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 7,377 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:28 AM

Was Ezri Dax boring on DS9?

No, she was just shy.
Posted Image
Leverage -- Season 5 on DVD Coming September 17th

"The numbers are bad! The numbers are bad!" -- Hugo "Hurley" Reyes, Lost - Season 1
"Boone's death was a sacrifice that the island demanded." -- John Locke, Lost - Season 2
"When was it you lost your imagination, son?" -- Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe - Season 1

#18 Ezri

Ezri

Ensign

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

Shy ... Ezri shy ... hides

#19 Hamilton

Hamilton

Commodore

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:51 PM

I don't think Ezri was boring at all... I recently rewatched the 7th season and the writers tried to integrate her as best they could, as they moved along with the story.

I'm telling you, the relaunch novels really do an excellent job of fleshing Ezri out. In fact, she's now one of my favorite characters because of those novels.

#20 Section47

Section47

Ensign

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:48 PM

Ezri gets a bad rap, bless her - she wasn't boring, I wouldn't say.

She just wasn't Jadzia, but then she was never meant to be. The point of Ezri was that she was thrust into hosting Dax and had to really find herself, but given she only got one season (and given the millions of plots circling around her!) she never really had the chance to make her mark.

I liked her, though. And her relationship with both Bashir and Worf.
Posted Image

MZP: Fiction never tasted so good!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users