6 replies to this topic

#1 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

from comicbookmovie.com :

Good news for fans of the Spider-man comics, and even the cartoon series, with Venom to get his own movie. This is particularly good news considering how poorly he was dealt with in the latest Spider-man movie.

To be honest, I’m a huge Topher Grace fan. I have some serious man-love for that guy, and love pretty much everything he is in. He was good too for some of the last Spider-man movie; until he turned in to Venom. But let’s be totally clear here – and this isn’t just my man-love speaking – Topher was given a horribly written plot to deal with; kudos to him for even making it through to the end of the film.

All of that aside though, the news is good. According to IESB, confirmation has been received that "the studio" has met recently with several "A list writers" about a spin-off film.

Before we get too excited, there may be some legal issues to deal with. We know that Marvel have been enjoying making their own films, with no intrusions from big-label studios, imposing their rule upon their characters. So that they would want to do this movie is natural, and promising considering that the rights reverted back to them from New Line Cinemas, who held them eight years ago.

However Venom’s inclusion in the Sony Pictures produced Spider-man 3 may cause some complications. Does Sony have the rights to Venom? Or do Marvel still own control over the character. I imagine that it will be in the fine print of some document somewhere, so we’ll wait to hear. One indication that Marvel does own control of the theatrical rights to this character is the fact there is any movement whatsoever. Sony Pictures is still affected by the writers’ strike, but since Marvel sealed an interim deal with the WGA, they are now exempt.

But in terms of a movie focusing on Venom, many questions arise immediately. For those whose only knowledge of the character is thanks to the Spider-man 3 movie, here is what Wikipedia has to say about him/her/it;

Venom, or the Venom Symbiote, is the name given to the first symbiote life form to appear in the fictional Marvel Universe. The creature is a sentient alien with a liquid-like form. It requires a host, usually human, to bond around for its survival. In return the Venom creature gives its host enhanced powers.

Questions like “will Spider-man appear?” and “will any other super-villains appear?” are natural, but answerable only in the future. For now, we can simply hope that Topher Grace is either on the film and given a better script, or removed.

Yes, yes, this would make me feel so much better on the lack of effort given to the villain. Hard to imagine an entire film would actually be created on a villain, but they are doing it with Magneto so why not. But like they said, what would it be without the Spider?

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:48 PM

Carnage cameo/set-up? That would be cool.
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#3 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:24 AM

It sounds like making a movie for the sake of making a movie. I can see a lot of fanboy enthusiasm, but not much that I would actually shell out my hard earned scheckles for.
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

#4 Hal

Hal

Asst. Groups Co-Ord - GEAUX TIGERS

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

Not at all.
"But I firmly believe that in any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - VICTORIOUS." Vince Lombardi

Geaux Tigers!
WHO DAT TALKIN' 'BOUT BEATEN DEM SAINTS

#5 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:09 AM

Carnage cameo/set-up? That would be cool.

There's an idea, maybe before Spidey 4 comes out, which btw is in the early works.

Posted Image

#6 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:36 AM

Interesting rumor. Might be good.

#7 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:29 AM

spidey 3 a dissapointment? hell no!! a very good movie!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users