Photo

How big of a Star Trek nerd have you been in your life?

37 replies to this topic

Poll: How big of a Star Trek nerd have you been in your life? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

1 being a normal everyday person, 10 being super-nerd alert

1. 1 (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. 2 (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

3. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 4 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 5 (1 votes [3.57%])

Percentage of vote: 3.57%

6. 6 (8 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

7. 7 (3 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

8. 8 (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

9. 9 (3 votes [10.71%])

Percentage of vote: 10.71%

10. 10 (5 votes [17.86%])

Percentage of vote: 17.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:07 AM

I would say about a 7 for me...I've had my moments growing up.

I think the biggest thing I used to do was in junior high, when walking between classes I would drive my best bud insane by quoting scenes from Geneations over and over and over, out loud so of course everyone heard in the halls.

In computer class I remember the teacher prounced data like "data" and he said "or you could say "dayta". Aloud I said "definelty pronounced dayta". Of course the class looked at me and said "Oh cause he's the guy on TNG!"

Once in study hall I was bored for days so I wrote the entire script of Generations down by memory (I still have it today!)

In English, we had to make a short home movie, so naturally mine was Star Trek. Whenever we had to do creative writing it was Star Trek for me, and we had to come up with an idea for television, so naturally mine was the Star Trek channel.

Oh boy yeah I was a Trek nerd and everyone knew. Shoot, I was also short, pale white, thin, wore huge glasses and never ever had a girlfriend.

So I grew up, got contacts, spiked my hair, ate and worked out, and quit shouting phrases aloud. Today, no one would even speculate I am a huge Trekkie unless they knew me well (then its back to being the nerd :D ) People who don't know me that well even say, wow, I would never expect that out of you, when they find out I am a Trekkie :lol:

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

1. Maybe a 2 being my membership on here :P

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#3 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

1. Maybe a 2 being my membership on here :P

I thought you had to be at least a 5 to be a member on here :P

Posted Image

#4 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 04:22 PM

In the past I would say somewhere up near seven or eight. Currently, though, I'd say a one, maybe a two. It has fallen off in the last few years, particularly since Star Trek: Enterprise was canceled and accelerating as the time since Enterprise has increased.

Posted Image

#5 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

Considering that I write Trek fiction and run a Trek news site and forum... I'll go with an 8.

Posted Image

#6 Terilynn

Terilynn

Black-Booted Blogging Barmistress

• Members
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:35 PM

I'm just starting so I'll given myself a 7 and work up from there....I guess I've just been gargling the Kool-Aid

#7 JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie

Commodore

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

I'm giving myself a 10/10!

I'm a Star Trek freak! lol

Posted Image

#8 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:05 AM

I gave myself an 8...Standing in Times Square with a Save Enterprise poster is way up there...

Other than that I fly under the radar...but I'm a big enough geek that I've begun to memorize the names of the episodes...

@Captain Hair...8???? Isn't that on the conservative side???? I guess you are not "The Commander" from Trekkies...which I would consider to be a 10...for sure....
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#9 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:26 AM

@Captain Hair...8???? Isn't that on the conservative side???? I guess you are not "The Commander" from Trekkies...which I would consider to be a 10...for sure....

I may be an unabashed Trekkie and self-proclaimed expert on the stuff, but I don't take it to the extreme... no costumes, only one model, just a few conventions (yeah, I know, I'm part of the operational cogs for FCUSA), etc... I'm proud of my Trekdom, but I'm low key about it off the interwebs. ;)

Posted Image

#10 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:41 AM

Maybe a 6.
I would remember most of the lines from all the movies and a number of TNG episodes. I don't have any models, costumes and haven't been to any conventions (manly because they haven't held any in my area).
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#11 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:00 AM

only one model

would my collection make me a 10 then? :P

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:36 AM

Posted Image

At least a 9... not exactly the largest I've seen.

(yes, I know, that's what she said. :P)

Posted Image

#13 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:48 AM

At least a 9... not exactly the largest I've seen.

(yes, I know, that's what she said. :P )

oh, well, that's not all of it :D

Posted Image

#14 JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie

Commodore

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

Posted Image

I'm jealous :P

Posted Image

#15 Trek Realist

Trek Realist

Amicus Hostis

• Members
  • 7,706 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:02 AM

Posted Image

I'm frightened :fear:

I have two models (a K'tinga class cruiser and Enterprise A - under construction), Tech manual and blueprints of TOS Enterprise, the first 50 TOS novels, about 30 other books (including the TAS logs, some of the very early Trek Novels and the TOS & TNG Nitpicker Guides) TAS on DVD Star Trek 1-4,6,8,9 movies.

I would rate myself a 6, possibly less. Being a GM on a Trek site kinda bounces me up in the stratosphere, but Trek has never really been an obsession the likes of the above picture, "The Commander" from Trekkies, or the nitwit who used to work for me at Cineplex who climbed up the side of a hotel with a script between his teeth desperately trying to get George Takei's attention.
Atheism is not a religion. It is a personal relationship with reality.

Quis custodiet ipso custodes

My Blog

#16 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 01:52 PM

Okay...given Hair's conservative estimate of an 8, I'm going with a 5 or 6.

Because I've never been to a convention, have no desire to put on a costume of any type (except Vulcan ears once, but I've never boughten any...they wouldn't show up through my hair anyway). Although I am an extremely outspoken Trek nerd (I quote and/or allude to an episode on average five times a day), I've never done anything extreme. I have seen almost all the episodes of the good series' except TOS (that doesn't count Enterprise). Oh, except, DS9, but I'm working my way through that.
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#17 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

the nitwit who used to work for me at Cineplex who climbed up the side of a hotel with a script between his teeth desperately trying to get George Takei's attention.

HAHAHAHAH :rofl1:

that's at least a 12.

Posted Image

#18 trekkin'

trekkin'

Memory is the first thing to go! :P

• Global Moderators
  • 7,716 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 11:51 PM

I may be an unabashed Trekkie and self-proclaimed expert on the stuff, but I don't take it to the extreme... no costumes, only one model, just a few conventions (yeah, I know, I'm part of the operational cogs for FCUSA), etc... I'm proud of my Trekdom, but I'm low key about it off the interwebs. ;)

Well...we all know how dedicated you are!! :D

I was rooked into the Times Square thing...but it was funny! The tourists enjoyed it! Yeah..Uhhh I had a 1/2 white-1/2 black action figure that we kept in the printshop at college in the '80's.
"Please, dear God, don't let me phlox up." -Shepherd's Prayer: Freedom 7

Are we ever really HERE, man?

"...death is my bread and danger my butter - oh, no, danger's my bread, and death is my butter. No, no, wait. Danger's my bread, death - no, death is - no, I'm sorry. Death is my - death and danger are my various breads and various butters. ." -Woody Allen

#19 Canadian Mind

Canadian Mind

What you wanna know?

• Members
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

2. A couple times at school people saw me on here or SFS (scifistudios.com), but other then that not really. I hardly ever watch trek actually.
Posted Image
Vancouver...While I may not live there anymore, this is the city I still call home.

#20 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:24 AM

10 for me. Began watching over 40 years ago on the first night TOS debuted. Have seen every episode of every series more times than I can count. Know most of the major dialogue for all 5 series and 10 movies by heart. Own most of the shows and specials (including "The Cage" & the Animated Series) on either DVD or VHS or both, and have my fair share of audio Trek. Have read nearly all the novels from the major authors of Trek. The one think I do not do is amass collectibles, wear costumes or put on the makeup. I leave that to the professional collectors and actors. Like Spock once said that some things are the privy of the diplomats, so too, some things are left for serious collectors and the actual actors to do. That being said, I do have a fortune tied up in Trek media and novels.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users