Photo

Favorite Recent Comic Book Movie

23 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Recent Comic Book Movie (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite comic book movie made 1998 and after?

1. Superman Returns (1 votes [5.56%])

Percentage of vote: 5.56%

2. Fantastic Four (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Fantastic Four Rise of Silver Surfer (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Spiderman (1 votes [5.56%])

5. Spiderman 2 (1 votes [5.56%])

6. Spiderman 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Batman Begins (11 votes [61.11%])

Percentage of vote: 61.11%

8. Hellboy (1 votes [5.56%])

9. Hulk (0 votes [0.00%])

10. X Men (1 votes [5.56%])

11. X Men 2 (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

12. X Men 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

13. Blade (0 votes [0.00%])

14. Blade 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Blade 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

16. Daredevil (0 votes [0.00%])

17. Elektra (0 votes [0.00%])

18. Punisher (0 votes [0.00%])

19. Ghost Rider (0 votes [0.00%])

20. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:28 AM

I am kinda torn between Batman Begins, Spiderman 2, XMen 2, and Blade. I guess I am gonna go with Batman, though I love the other 3 just as much.

Posted Image

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 CiCi

CiCi

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:50 PM

Batman Begins! Loved that movie. :)

#3 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

Batman Begins or Blade. Ever since some friends and I powerhoused through Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, all we do nowadays is randomly spurt out (in bad Wesley Snipes impressions, no less), "They call me Daywalker. They fear me."

Fantastic Four = lame.
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer = Galactus is giant cloud? WTF? The only way the Fantastic Four can redeem themselves (with Silver Surfer and Galactus) get shot to hell.
Ghost Rider: Other than Sam Elliott, Peter Fonda, and the fact that it was Ghost Rider, worst movie ever. I'm super serious.
Spiderman: Don't get me started.
The Incredible Hulk: Bad hero, bad movie. Another Marvel movie where one of the few redeeming qualities is Sam Elliott.
X-Men = Pretty dang good movies, I'm not going to lie.
Doctor Strange (animated): Complete crap.
Ultimate Avengers: Honestly never seen. (*runs out to buy, hoping for some Black Panther awesomeness*)
Superman: Superman is lame.

Upcoming:
Magneto: Sounds pretty cool. I wish they made more movies about supervillains (*goes into Land of Nod, dreaming of Joker, Dr. Doom, Riddler, and Lex Luthor movies*)
Iron Man: No. Just no.
Thor: See Iron Man.
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#4 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:57 PM

I had to cast my vote for Batman Begins, but it was a very close compeition between it and Superman Returns. Seriously, like 51% Batman, 49% Superman.

That said, X-Men (1 and 2) was also great, The Punisher was entertaining, but not all that awesome.

Posted Image

#5 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:14 AM

Batman Begins or Blade. Ever since some friends and I powerhoused through Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, all we do nowadays is randomly spurt out (in bad Wesley Snipes impressions, no less), "They call me Daywalker. They fear me."

Fantastic Four = lame.
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer = Galactus is giant cloud? WTF? The only way the Fantastic Four can redeem themselves (with Silver Surfer and Galactus) get shot to hell.
Ghost Rider: Other than Sam Elliott, Peter Fonda, and the fact that it was Ghost Rider, worst movie ever. I'm super serious.
The Incredible Hulk: Bad hero, bad movie. Another Marvel movie where one of the few redeeming qualities is Sam Elliott.
Ultimate Avengers: Honestly never seen. (*runs out to buy, hoping for some Black Panther awesomeness*)

Upcoming:
Magneto: Sounds pretty cool. I wish they made more movies about supervillains (*goes into Land of Nod, dreaming of Joker, Dr. Doom, Riddler, and Lex Luthor movies*)

You appear to be someone who knows the comics and cartoons quite well. Me on the other hand, have never been interested, though the movies began to interest me highly. To enjoy the movies more, I now stay clear of the comics and cartoons because I believe the movies certainly don't stay true (for ex. Spiderman 3's Venom character just didn't get the screen time and efforts he deserved). I am guessing this is why you feel the way you do about most of these films?

I had to cast my vote for Batman Begins, but it was a very close compeition between it and Superman Returns. Seriously, like 51% Batman, 49% Superman.

I can't put my finger on it, but I wasn't impressed with the new Superman movie all that much.

I hope a Batman vs Superman movies comes around someday :w00t:

Posted Image

#6 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 04:18 PM

You appear to be someone who knows the comics and cartoons quite well.

One of my obsessions. Others are Trek (of course), westerns, and D&D (friends and I have rules-spouting competitions).

Me on the other hand, have never been interested, though the movies began to interest me highly. To enjoy the movies more, I now stay clear of the comics and cartoons because I believe the movies certainly don't stay true (for ex. Spiderman 3's Venom character just didn't get the screen time and efforts he deserved). I am guessing this is why you feel the way you do about most of these films?

In some cases, yes. But the thing about comic book movies you have to realize is that you're never going to get the real thing. Comics have waaaaaaay too much continuity and backstories to get involved in in two hours. For example: Batman Begins. Fairly true, but Scarecrow was never director of Arkham (he was a professor at a university), R'as al Ghul was neither white nor British, Batman can't fly with his cape (although that bit of awesomeness I was glad to have inserted), there is no League of Shadows, and lots of other minute stuff. One of the reasons that movie was so popular with Batman fans was that it did stay relatively true (one of my biggest griefs with Marvel movies is that they screw with origins, seemingly when they don't even need to), but in the end I want a good story that highlights why I love that hero. I'm fine with R'as being British (in fact, I love Liam Neeson) as long as he's portrayed accurately (and he was). But the reasons I consider Batman (and his villains) to be awesome were still intact (Batman still scares the phlox out of people; this is his biggest weapon). Anyway, enough.

I hope a Batman vs Superman movies comes around someday :w00t:

Would be cool, considering Batman is one of the few people in the (fictional) world who can defeat Superman.
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

#7 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

It's gotta be X2: X-men United for me. Love that movie. Spiderman 2, Spiderman 3, and Batman Begins are honourable mentions.

and D&D (friends and I have rules-spouting competitions).

Congratulations Melvin, once again you've said the nerdiest thing I've heard all day. :D

(one of my biggest griefs with Marvel movies is that they screw with origins, seemingly when they don't even need to)

Actually I kind of like it when they screw with them. For example I find Peter Parker being bit by a GMO spider more believable than a radioactive spider.

#8 Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe

• Members
  • 45,874 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:41 PM

I know Dark Knight hasn't technically come out yet, but I mean, come on... :D
Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the
earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of
all poems...

#9 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

One of my obsessions. Others are Trek (of course), westerns, and D&D (friends and I have rules-spouting competitions).

In some cases, yes. But the thing about comic book movies you have to realize is that you're never going to get the real thing. Comics have waaaaaaay too much continuity and backstories to get involved in in two hours. For example: Batman Begins. Fairly true, but Scarecrow was never director of Arkham (he was a professor at a university), R'as al Ghul was neither white nor British, Batman can't fly with his cape (although that bit of awesomeness I was glad to have inserted), there is no League of Shadows, and lots of other minute stuff. One of the reasons that movie was so popular with Batman fans was that it did stay relatively true (one of my biggest griefs with Marvel movies is that they screw with origins, seemingly when they don't even need to), but in the end I want a good story that highlights why I love that hero. I'm fine with R'as being British (in fact, I love Liam Neeson) as long as he's portrayed accurately (and he was). But the reasons I consider Batman (and his villains) to be awesome were still intact (Batman still scares the phlox out of people; this is his biggest weapon). Anyway, enough.

That's how little I know about the comic books, I suppose that if they wanted to follow Spiderman they'd have to make like 20 movies to fit it all in. But it does sound like your're a huge fan of Batman Begins becuase it sticks closer than the others to the comic.

Would be cool, considering Batman is one of the few people in the (fictional) world who can defeat Superman.

Ok, that I definetly gotta see.

I head something about a Justice League movie too, but it could be extremely difficult to pull off.

Posted Image

#10 Gummy

Gummy

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:42 AM

It was hard to choose a favorite.
I loved Batman Begins.
But I also loved the Spiderman, Blade and Fantastic Four Movies.
Posted Image

#11 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

Congratulations Melvin, once again you've said the nerdiest thing I've heard all day. :D

*takes victory lap*

Actually I kind of like it when they screw with them. For example I find Peter Parker being bit by a GMO spider more believable than a radioactive spider.

That was different. In the end, he ultimately gets bitten by a spider, so it's fine. But when you completely change it (like the Doc Strange animated movie) for no reason, it makes me wonder for what reason they made such drastic changes.

I know Dark Knight hasn't technically come out yet, but I mean, come on... :D

QFT

But actually, I'm a little worried. But I have faith in Nolan. (Hopefully) all will be well.

That's how little I know about the comic books, I suppose that if they wanted to follow Spiderman they'd have to make like 20 movies to fit it all in. But it does sound like your're a huge fan of Batman Begins becuase it sticks closer than the others to the comic.

Long and short of it, yes.

Ok, that I definetly gotta see.

I head something about a Justice League movie too, but it could be extremely difficult to pull off.

To be fair, the only time I've actually seen it, he had to pull some cheap tricks and enlist the help of the Green Arrow, but since Infinite Crisis, Batman literally has plans to take down any hero in case they go all evil.

Yeah, this I cannot wait for. Also, my brother and I figured out the trailer for a Green Lantern movie today in our heads(*is hoping for another "nerdiest thing said" award*). It was pretty epic.

#12 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, this I cannot wait for. Also, my brother and I figured out the trailer for a Green Lantern movie today in our heads(*is hoping for another "nerdiest thing said" award*). It was pretty epic.

I'll get back to you, I think I can find something nerdier then that. Afterall, we've all fantasied about movie versions of our favourite stuff. :D :P

#13 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:45 PM

Green Lantern is the phlox ;)

In brightest day, in darkest night
No evil shall escape my sight
So all who worship evil's might
Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!

#14 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 09:03 PM

'Nuff said.

#15 The Star Treker

The Star Treker

Commander

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 02:09 AM

Fantastic Four = lame.

Upcoming:

Superman Returns, Batman Begins, Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Daredevil, the Punisher, and X3: The Last Stand are my top favorites because to me they were the most intense ones ever. Btw, I'm not a picky comic book fan though.

Superman Returns - great even it should had more action though
Superman: Brainiac Attacks - good
Superman: Doomsday - great but a little short though
Batman Begins - great
Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero - good
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - great
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman - good
Spider-Man - very good
Spider-Man 2 - great
Spider-Man 3 - great
TMNT - good
Daredevil - great
Elektra - very good
The Punisher - great
Ghost Rider - very good
X-Men - good
X2: X-Men United - very good
X3: The Last Stand - great
Fantastic Four - good
Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - great
Blade - good
Blade II - good
Blade Trilogy - good
The Hulk - alright but mostly boring though

Actually there are a lot more comic book films are coming out that you didn't mention.

The Dark Knight (July 18th, 2008)
Iron Man (May 2th, 2008)
The Incredible Hulk (remake, June 13th, 2008)
Spider-Man 4 (2010)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
The Punisher: War Zone (2008)
Magneto (2009)
Ant Man
Justice League of America (2009, they are going to announce the cast next week and George Miller is directing it and Kieran Mulroney and Michelle Mulroney wrote the script.)
Justice League: The New Frontier (Animated)
Teen Titans (2009)
The Man of Steel (Superman Returns Sequel - 2009, possibly some time after the JLA movie is released)
Wonder Woman (2009)
The Flash
Green Lantern (2010)
The Avengers (maybe)
I didn't hear anything about a Thor movie though.

I'm really looking forward seeing the Dark Knight this July. I have seen an updated picture of Heath Ledger's Joker and he really looks awesome and much better than the first picture of him that I saw a while back and I saw the Dark Knight teaser trailer and I heard the Joker's voice on there and I love it and it almost sounds like Jack Nicholson's Joker (my favorite live action Joker)!!! I saw the Iron Man trailer it looks pretty good.

Here is the latest picture of the Joker that I saw.
http://i64.photobuck...k_knight_14.jpg

#16 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:36 PM

Right, forgot about the new Punisher movie. Oh, and JLA, Dark Knight, and Green Lantern movies: DUH! Those are automatically going to be fantastic.

Oh, and on the subject of the Joker, I'm actually a little worried about that. We're getting another Batman '89 glued-on Joker grin; he is actually constantly grinning, and has various sad clown faces. It's not like he can't stop.

Didn't know they were remaking a Hulk movie. Still not going to see it. And yes, I did miss the Wolverine movie and assorted DC heroes :(

#17 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 07:42 AM

And Hellboy 2 is coming out next year also.

I was hoping for a Daredevil 2 to see Michael Clarke Duncan return as the Kingpin and give Daredevil the fight of the century this time, but I guess it won't happen since the first film pretty much sucked.

Posted Image

#18 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:39 PM

Just saw the Punisher movie today. Not bad.

#19 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

Batman Begins hands down. A perfect example of what a "reimaging" can be that does NOT take away from predecesors, that updates "the look" without insulting past fans while still interesting to newbies. AND it's technically a pre-quell that did NOT suck! Take note Hollywood!

Posted Image

#20 rlamkin

rlamkin

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:06 PM

Not very recent but I like Spawn!
Earth?... Never heard of it.
Posted Image Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic