Photo

Why didn't Starfleet build a new station?

20 replies to this topic

#1 CiCi

CiCi

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:53 AM

Considering that by that time period the Federation was comprised of about 150 worlds why didn't Starfleet build a new station instead of using a beat up Cardassian station for DS9? One would think after 7 years and the importance of the wormhole you would see one of those nice Starfleet mushroom shaped spacedock stations by the end of the series.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:52 PM

It would take too long. Even if you did have a ton of workers, you have to consider all of the services and technologies a deep space station has. If it takes years to build a baseball stadium, imagine how long it would take to build a space station.
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#3 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:24 PM

Considering that by that time period the Federation was comprised of about 150 worlds why didn't Starfleet build a new station instead of using a beat up Cardassian station for DS9? One would think after 7 years and the importance of the wormhole you would see one of those nice Starfleet mushroom shaped spacedock stations by the end of the series.

Star Trek Answer: It was easier and more resource efficient to just fix up Terok Nor than to build a whole new station. Plus working on Terok Nor gave Starfleet engineers a chance to get a better understanding of Cardassian technology. And being that Bajor was never a Federation world through the course of the series, Starfleet was not in a position to build their own station at Bajor (and the Bajorans asked Starfleet to help fix and run the station).

Real World Answer: Doing so would have been expensive for the production. Sets for a sci-fi show aren't cheap, and at the time the Promenade set was the largest permanent set in Hollywood. If a Starfleet station were to have been built, it would have had a profound impact on the story, in particular, it wouldn't be staffed by the Bajorans (no Kira, no Odo), nor would there be any commerce (no Quark). Also, the station construction would have had to be abandoned during the Dominion War, as there weren't a lot of resources available and, oh yeah, the Dominion captured the station.

Simply put, it wasn't in the plan and would have unneccesarily produced further complications to an already complicated series.

Posted Image

#4 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:44 AM

I love the station and it was so perfect for what DS9 was. One of the greatest moments was when the Cardassians, and the Dominion, retook Terok Nor...they couldn't really "re-take" a Federation station.

Posted Image

#5 Swift

Swift

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

Star Trek Answer: It was easier and more resource efficient to just fix up Terok Nor than to build a whole new station. Plus working on Terok Nor gave Starfleet engineers a chance to get a better understanding of Cardassian technology. And being that Bajor was never a Federation world through the course of the series, Starfleet was not in a position to build their own station at Bajor (and the Bajorans asked Starfleet to help fix and run the station).

Real World Answer: Doing so would have been expensive for the production. Sets for a sci-fi show aren't cheap, and at the time the Promenade set was the largest permanent set in Hollywood. If a Starfleet station were to have been built, it would have had a profound impact on the story, in particular, it wouldn't be staffed by the Bajorans (no Kira, no Odo), nor would there be any commerce (no Quark). Also, the station construction would have had to be abandoned during the Dominion War, as there weren't a lot of resources available and, oh yeah, the Dominion captured the station.

Simply put, it wasn't in the plan and would have unneccesarily produced further complications to an already complicated series.

I agree with your 'Star Trek' answer, but also to add to the 'Real World' answer that they wanted to set the show's look apart from TNG. A Starfleet station not only would have meant there would be no Bajoran Militia, and also it might look too much like TNG and possibly confuse the audience, and of course, carve out it's out niche.

Posted Image

#6 Athlor

Athlor

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:38 AM

I thought it was one of the unique charms of the show. Darker alien technology and design instead of the typical clean modern Starfleet design.

Edited by Athlor, 28 April 2008 - 04:39 AM.

Star Trek XI: 'Boldly going where we've all gone before'

#7 Radardog

Radardog

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

I thought it was one of the unique charms of the show. Darker alien technology and design instead of the typical clean modern Starfleet design.

Exactly.

The producers of DS9 wanted to run a spin on the TNG formula where technology is everyone's friend. In DS9, they wanted the technology to have a dark side. Thus the Cardassian-built station, filled with booby-traps and constant malfunction.

It also symbolized that the show was darker and less friendly than TNG.

Edited by Radardog, 28 April 2008 - 03:55 PM.

Captain, I am not a merry man! - Worf "Qpid"

#8 shinkai

shinkai

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:01 PM

One of the greatest moments was when the Cardassians, and the Dominion, retook Terok Nor...they couldn't really "re-take" a Federation station.

Agreed. One of my favorite scenes from DS9 is when Jake was trying to get an interview with Weyoun.
Weyoun: "You keep referring to us as the station's, quote, occupying force, unquote... It has a negative connotation. All your articles are filled with pejorative terminology, which is why I've been forced to withhold their transmission."
Jake: "What about freedom of the press?"
Weyoun: "Please, tell me you're not that naive."
:D

Me, too. Since the atmosphere of DS9 was supposed to be completely foreign to what we were used to seeing in TNG, the dark feel fit nicely. Also, the problems combining Federation and Cardassian technologies gave it a grittier, seat of the pants treatment that made for an interesting plot device.
"Darkness is a shroud, and the earth is in stillness,
For he who made them rests in his horizon."
-from Akhenaten's Great Hymn to the Aten

#9 Nveidra

Nveidra

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:49 AM

DS9 being a Cardassian station added to the overall ambiance, with it holding past memories for characters like Kira and Odo and the history of the station gave it a political context that'd be hard to replicate with a Starfleet Starbase, it made DS9 a home, for lots of characters including Dukat and much more desirable as an asset for more than just its tactical advantages.

Posted Image

#10 Dr EMH

Dr EMH

Commander

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:40 AM

What's wrong with a clean modern starbase? ... I am always facinated with the gigantic "mushroom" Spaceport. :rolleyes:
I'm a doctor, not a door stop. [ST:FC]

Singapore Star Trek Fansite ... www.startrek.sg ... for the fans, by the fans.

#11 CaptainJohn

CaptainJohn

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:09 AM

It was an abandoned station in Bajoran space claimed by Bajor. Starfleet was there by invitation to help administrate. It wasn't a Star Fleet station to begin with, nor was it ever.

Edited by CaptainJohn, 10 July 2008 - 12:10 AM.

#12 wildcard1377

wildcard1377

Version 3.1

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:37 AM

^EXACTLY!! Plus Bajor was a low priority until the discovery of the wormhole...why else only assign three Runabouts to "protect" it? Sisko's job was more about administration and humanitarian aide to the Bajoran sector. It was up to Bajor itself to defend the sector. And considering the state of their world, they couldn't afford to abandon this reusable piece of tech.

Posted Image

#13 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:31 AM

Indeed. Don't get me wrong, I think the mushroom stations look cool, and it would be wonderful if they could build as near a complete one as possible for a movie someday. However, DS9 is refreshing precisely because it isn't only about the humans, with a token Klingon or Vulcan thrown in, or visits to alien planets that don't last very long. Here we truly learn to know many aliens as people, and it's a big part of the show's charm.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

#14 louiskaty2

louiskaty2

Commodore

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:47 AM

Posted Image

Deep Space Nine/Terok Nor was sweet! I always thought it had that alien look/feel that set it apart.
Gone...

#15 KRadio

KRadio

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

Deep Space Nine had an atmosphere that was incredibly better than a Starbase, or Spacedock. Every time a Base or Dock was seen, they were pretty emotionless things. Sure, they had nice floral arrangements, but DS9 had everything cool, plus, it had darker lighting...

out numbered? one... two... thre-
BOOM!

#16 Greystone

Greystone

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

It would take too long. Even if you did have a ton of workers, you have to consider all of the services and technologies a deep space station has. If it takes years to build a baseball stadium, imagine how long it would take to build a space station.

I'm inclined to agree.

#17 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:39 AM

I mean,what starfeet can buil next battle station as DS9,but only if in Federation planet invasion powerful enemy,for example breen,Borg or if again return dominion with cardassia.But so Federation do not attack,they use standart starbase with space dock,for example starbase 202 for what give supply starship's and protection frderation fronties if Enemy as Romulan attack fleet around Earth or around other federation planet.I do not know,build starfleet new station as DS9 or no,but i think,what in future,maybe in 25 century need build this station will be necessary what protection world in Federation space.This only my opinion about build new powerful station on type DS9.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

#18 Greystone

Greystone

Master Warrant Officer

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:36 AM

A fair point perhaps time and circumstances would have prevented it.

#19 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

from watching the series all they way through it always seemed that help from the federation was always weeks away. so building a station would be unreasonable cause getn supplies and help wen needed would be challenging. not that star fleet couldnt handle it by ny means. but it seems they were too busy doing other things in the galaxy. so they exploited the resources of the station already available to them.

#20 Beast Boy

Beast Boy

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,658 posts
  • Location:Galaxy-alpha quadrant-sector 001-Earth-Russian Federation.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

If believe screen from STO game,old station DS9 will be protection alpha quadrant and in 25 century.I mean what this station will be upgrade new(modern) weapons,add new shield generator and new torpedo.Install new lcars or holographic panel on ops and new layer on exterior.Maybe Federation even will be use trillium for creation very powerful and resistance exterior on station.I mean what starfleet command know about what they's old enemy,which call dominion and Jem'Hadar sometime can will be return and what for protection from they starfleet will be need build new station or upgrade old station,because in 25 century will be repeat attack Dominion on alpha quadrant and Federation must will be upgrade all your's station and ship what will be meet enemy in full tactical efficiency and they will be again protection homeworld and Earth from deadly enemy.

gKZxu0v.jpg?1

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users