Nog

26 replies to this topic

#1 CiCi

CiCi

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:14 AM

Earlier in the week I decided to have a DS9 marathon. I didn't watch the entire series mind you but I did see much of the early episodes and found Nog one of the most interesting and under used characters.
When we first saw him he was committing a crime by taking part in looting on the promenade. Next we see him with Jake getting in trouble playing a practical joke. Sisko at one point makes it clear he does not want Jake associating with Nog. However, as the series goes on we see Nog joining Starfleet, becoming an officer and distinguish himself during the dominion war. Talk about great character development but I just wish we had seen more. :)

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 B'atL'eth's Blood

B'atL'eth's Blood

Commander

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:13 PM

The development of Nog was one of the bright spots in DS-9. I loved watching him grow and become everything Jake should have been. Nog broke the mold, and became a "Warrior" in the finest sense and tradition. Even Worf respected him for his deeds and accomplishments. Plus, Nog became an outstanding combat engineer, no doubt in some small measure to his exposure to Chief O'Brien. I always felt that Jake turned into a driftless bum, while Nog became the quintessential soldier, who was wise beyond his years, and had seen things that no one should see.....

#3 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:29 PM

The development of Nog was one of the bright spots in DS-9. I loved watching him grow and become everything Jake should have been. Nog broke the mold, and became a "Warrior" in the finest sense and tradition. Even Worf respected him for his deeds and accomplishments. Plus, Nog became an outstanding combat engineer, no doubt in some small measure to his exposure to Chief O'Brien. I always felt that Jake turned into a driftless bum, while Nog became the quintessential soldier, who was wise beyond his years, and had seen things that no one should see.....

It was a nice reversal from what might have been predicted from the outset of the series, and it made for something 'different.'

Posted Image

#4 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:03 PM

Of all the characters on DS9, Nog was one of a few (Damar being another) that went from being merely a background player to becoming an important part of the series. I especially liked his performance in the PTSD ep "Its only a paper moon".

#5 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:04 PM

All I can say is: more Ferenghi!

Seriously, Quark was phloxin' Nog was awesome for many of the reasons already listed, and even Rom found his way into my heart by Season 6. We need more of the lovable little buggers.
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#6 dominion_ruler

dominion_ruler

Admiral

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:16 AM

I enjoyed the episode where he explained to Sisko he wanted to join Starfleet so bad because he didn't want to end up like his father, Rom. Then later on in the series after a promotion, Nog tells his father that he will be working for him

Edited by dominion_ruler, 17 October 2007 - 10:17 AM.

Posted Image

#7 CiCi

CiCi

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:54 PM

I enjoyed the episode where he explained to Sisko he wanted to join Starfleet so bad because he didn't want to end up like his father, Rom.

I just watched that episode today. I thought it funny when he offered Sisko all of that latinum for an apprenticeship. :P

#8 Swift

Swift

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:26 PM

I don't know anyone who doesn't like Nog. He's like a Wesley that people can relate to and actually like.

Posted Image

#9 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

I don't know anyone who doesn't like Nog. He's like a Wesley that people can relate to and actually like.

Emphasis on actually like ;)
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

#10 aklaus

aklaus

Overanalyzinator ~~ Countdown Dumpster Diver

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 36,757 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:03 PM

Here's a question for discussion: What makes a Star Trek child character likable? Why do people like Nog and hate Wesley?

#11 CiCi

CiCi

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:10 PM

I dunno, but I liked Wesley. :)

#12 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 06:05 AM

Here's a question for discussion: What makes a Star Trek child character likable? Why do people like Nog and hate Wesley?

I think it was a lot because Wes was too damned smart for his own good. I certainly didn't like that know-it-all aspect of him, or the fact that he was just a child somehow rivaling engineers and medical officers who had worked in that field for a long time. I guess I just didn't accept that kind of super genius.

But Wes did have his moments, and I think certain people - myself included - exaggerate their hatred.

Now, before I seem like a Wesley-lover:
"Shut up, Wesley!" -Picard

I dunno, but I liked Wesley. :)

Blasphemy!

#13 CiCi

CiCi

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:25 AM

Blasphemy!

You ever read the reviews he wrote fot Next Generation?
http://www.tvsquad.c...ers/wil-wheaton

:lol:

#14 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:31 PM

You ever read the reviews he wrote fot Next Generation?
http://www.tvsquad.c...ers/wil-wheaton

<_< Meh.

#15 Athlor

Athlor

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:31 AM

I like how at the end Nog joined Starfleet. Like Worf in TNG, this is a tradition in Star Trek. It also was appropo as his father was to become the next-generation of Grand Negases. It made it seem as though Ferengi were progressing as a culture. DS9 was not my personally favorite Trek but was indeed a great one.
Star Trek XI: 'Boldly going where we've all gone before'

#16 Dr EMH

Dr EMH

Commander

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

In an alternate future, Nog becomes a Starfleet Captain ... I can't imagine how the crew would react to a Ferengi captain on the bridge, hehe :D
I'm a doctor, not a door stop. [ST:FC]

Singapore Star Trek Fansite ... www.startrek.sg ... for the fans, by the fans.

#17 Nimravus

Nimravus

1st Year Cadet

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:31 PM

Nog was by far the least annoying child featured on Star Trek. Differences between him and Wesley? Well, as has already been said, he wasn't a total know-it-all. Wesley was a genius without any serious flaws to offset it. Nog has his strengths and weaknesses. He's more realistic. His actor is also less obnoxious. The way Wheaton played Wesley really bothered me.

#18 louiskaty2

louiskaty2

Commodore

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:33 PM

Yep, couldn't agree more. Nog was great right from the 1st episode getting busted by Odo with the thief that threw the weapon through Odo's head looting the shops on the station after the Cardassians left, all the way through going to Star Fleet Academy. A really decent character, no doubt about it.
Gone...

#19 kalan

kalan

Ensign

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:15 PM

I liked the way the writers developed nog, too. We saw the development over the seven years from where he was the typical Ferengi to becoming an outstanding Starfleet Officer. I loved the way they wrote about the pain he felt about battle and losing his leg. It was a good show. They could have done more with him on the show if they had thought about it.

#20 Melvin

Melvin

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 09:47 PM

Nog was by far the least annoying child featured on Star Trek. Differences between him and Wesley? Well, as has already been said, he wasn't a total know-it-all. Wesley was a genius without any serious flaws to offset it. Nog has his strengths and weaknesses. He's more realistic. His actor is also less obnoxious. The way Wheaton played Wesley really bothered me.

Wesley got onto the bridge through sheer, obnoxious, super annoying talent. Nog worked for it.

And he was a Ferengi, which means he was awesome to begin with ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users