Dispatches from the Romulan War

177 replies to this topic

#1 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:13 PM

EDIT: DRW is now open for submissions! We recommend you read the submission guidelines before writing your own edition.

I recently had an idea for a fan fiction series SE could do called "Dispatches from the Romulan war". It's different from other fan fiction because instead of traditional stories each installment would be a news report about the war. Obviously it would start with the news that Salem One had been attacked and grow from there.

Also, instead of having a standard writing team we would (I'm thinking) let anyone submit their own reports (to be approved by me) on the war ranging from depictions of epic battles to human interest stories about soldiers fighting on the fronts. This would allow a great deal of diversity and allow the story to grow very organically as multiple people contribute. We could even have reports from news agencies on Andoria, Vulcan, or Tellar Prime.

We could also theoretically include images from the war with the help of photoshop.

What does everyone think?

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:35 PM

Hmmmm... this could be interesting. I rather like it.

If I have any inspiration as to story ideas I will submit them, but I also would be willing to serve as an editor for this.

Posted Image

#3 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:34 PM

Wow, an idea you actually like. That's rare.

All I ask is that if you have any ideas wait until the first edition is launched (or near to launch) before doing so.

#4 CiCi

CiCi

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:10 PM

Sounds like a good idea. :)

#5 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for your input CiCi and welcome to SE. Hope to see you around our forums. :)

#6 CiCi

CiCi

Rear Admiral

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for your input CiCi and welcome to SE. Hope to see you around our forums. :)

Thanks for the welcome. :)

#7 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

Feel free to look around. :)

#8 Aussie Trekkie

Aussie Trekkie

The Amateur Internet Radio DJ

• Members
  • 7,133 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:20 PM

I think the idea is gold, tailor made for future plans by us here in SE

#9 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

Okay so we have three people who like it, what does everyone else think?

#10 Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

Hmm... I'm usually a nattering nabob of negativism, but I quite like that. Won't bring back Enterprise, but, with good writing, it could be quite fun.

I also recommend you take CH up on his offer; he's a good writer and I'm guessing a good editor.

I'll be paying attention to this. Good luck!

Edited by Wowbagger, 13 October 2007 - 06:25 PM.

Wowbagger: The Once and Future Prophet of Almighty Tim
"Make as much noise as possible!" --Manny Coto. Ah, good times. Does anyone remember Al Vinci?
Listen to the Star Trek: Excelsior audio radio drama extravaganza! www.starshipexcelsior.com!
...because not enough people have used the word "extravaganza" in advertising since the 1890's. I'm bringing extravaganza back.

#11 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

Cool. I think we've stumbled on something good here. I'll get to work on it soon.

#12 boomstick

boomstick

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:16 PM

This is fantastic! I've got you on this one 100%

P.S. differing viewpoints, some opposing war on earth, or some reports from a romulan perspective? Like romulan defectors?

Edited by boomstick, 17 October 2007 - 06:17 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:25 PM

This is fantastic! I've got you on this one 100%

P.S. differing viewpoints, some opposing war on earth, or some reports from a romulan perspective? Like romulan defectors?

There are no Romulan defectors - Humans didn't see Romulans face-to-face until Kirk's time

Posted Image

#14 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:10 PM

No plans right now for Romulan perspective, but who knows? If we did a Romulan version it would probably have to be propagnada, they don't brook disension.

#15 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

Dispatches from the Romulan War is now open to submissions so start writing now! Anything from in depth coverage of an epic battle to human interest stories about the soldiers is acceptable.

Though we hope to allow as much variety in our submissions as possible you must use the following guidelines if you want your article to be chosen:

They must conform to all TU forum rules regarding language, content, etc..

You must specify which news agency your article is from, the available agencies are:

The Earth News Network (ENN): The largest human news agency. Though originally created as a source of news relating to affairs on Earth it has expanded to include stories from human colonies and deep space missions such as the NX program.

The Starfleet News Feed: Starfleet's internal news agency, it carries news across the fleet. Primarily reports stories related to Starfleet and space exploration.

The Vulcan Information Directorate: Vulcan's government-run news agency. Obviously it tends to report things important to Vulcan.

The Imperial News Service (INS): Andoria's government-run news service. In the past it was mostly a propaganda tool used to glorify the Andorian government and the Imperial Guard but in recent times it has become more impartial.

The Tellarite Information Service (TIS): An extremely old and well-respected news service on Tellar Prime. The family-run agency has long been the favourite source of news and current happenings among Tellarites of all walks of life.

You can create your own agency to report from but it may decrease the chance of your article being chosen.

You must give a name for the reporter writing the story, you can use your own name if you're writing a story from a human news agency, but for alien news you must use a name appropriate to the race. You can also use an alias for human stories if you prefer, you could even file a report from Travis's old friend Gannet.

Your article must not directly conflict with established Star Trek canon or previous editions of DRW.

I reserve the right to not publish submissions based on their length, story, or other reasons.

You do not have to add a date (Example: June 5 2156) for your story but it is preferred. All submissions should be in roughly chronological order; that is, no stories about the end of the war unless we have already progressed through the entire war in previous editions.

You can use something that's already been reported as the basis for an article provided that you are doing a different take on it. I look forward to seeing the Salem One attack from the perspective of different Coalition planets.

Good luck with your submissions.

#16 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

Let's see those submissions people!

#17 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:26 PM

Jeez, four posts in a row.

Article time:

-----------------------------------

Save Enterprise has launched a new fan fiction series titled "Dispatches from the Romulan War". It differs from traditional fan fiction by taking the form of a series of news reports about the war rather than a story. We are planning on producing a variety of report types-from coverage of epic battles to personal interest stories about the fighters-from a variety of perspectives-from humans to Vulcans to Tellarites and more.

Rather than having a rigid writing team we are allowing anyone to submit stories to ensign edwards (via PM), who will approve them based on their story and then give them to Captain_Hair for editing and posting. We cannot promise that all submissions will be published but all will be given a careful reading and a fair evaluation.

Please read the submission guidelines (link is provided below) before submitting.

The first edition of DRW, an article about the Salem One attack, is expected to be released shortly.

Link:
DRW thread (contains submission guidelines)

------------------------------------------

Sound good?

#18 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

The first article in the DRW series has been posted. We have also created a separate forum for the DRW articles, hopefully this will help it to gain more exposure, and also will keep the articles seprate and visible. :D

Breaking News: Salem One Station Lost
DRW Forum

Posted Image

#19 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

:buttrock: Woo! Nice work Hair! :clap: I'll write up a new edition soon I think.

#20 Kirok

Kirok

Publishing and Media Director, Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 06:14 AM

Quick input - in the past I've taken the kids to the Australian War Museum and some of the material they have there is very moving - I'm sure the same can be said about museums all around the world irrespective of country or race. Could we do something from the perspective of a their future ...
  • War diary by a combatant
  • Scholarly article by a historian about the artwork (painting) of a combatant
  • Song or poem by a combatant
  • Personal letters (or in this case video messages) from combatants to their families - parents etc

Cheers

K

Latest releases !!! ~ March 11 - HFO Personal Logs 2 ~ March 19 - PD Smith-Tales From the Fleet 01 : Species 571 ~ March 11 - Bruffy-NovaTrek06 : A Tale Of Two Captains, Pt 2 ~
Kirok of L'Stok - Director of Media ..... "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly by!" - Douglas Adams

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users