9 replies to this topic

#1 Bill

Bill

TU Manager (aka DefiantVulcan)

• Managment
  • 5,069 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:32 PM

Sept 28, 1987
20 years ago today, hard to believe. It seems like yesterday.
The crew of the USS Enterprise-D launched Star Trek back into the spotlight for the fans.
For fans of TOS this was a dreaded event, how could a new Captain and crew replace the legend of Kirk, Spock And McCoy.
Somehow after a less than stellar first season, this new crew found their chemistry and created their own legend.

HERE is the original trailer for the series.

What are your thoughts to what is now a classic series?

Life is a con
stant series of adaptations. and I am adapting as fast as I can!

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:57 AM

Man I feel old. :lol:

#3 raptor

raptor

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

From www.soulofstartrek.blogspot.com

Captain's Log: TNG is 20, the Doctor is Who?

It was twenty years ago today, more or less, and Star Trek was reborn. As I remember the mood of the time, people were worried that the new Trek was (1) not going to be as good or as Trek as the original series, (2) it was going to be too new, and therefore unrecognizable as Trek, and yet (3) not new enough, and so repeating some of the lamer elements of the original series.

I still intend to write in detail about that first 2-hour episode, "Encounter at Farpoint," as it contributes to the Trek take on history, and the soul of Star Trek. But a few notes now on how it addressed these fears/expectations...

Roddenberry and company had to walk a fine line: they had to be reassuring, they had to respond to specific dissatisfactions, and they had to thrill us all over again for the first time. And, just about miraculously, they did.

The reassurance came immediately: with the same framework of the "Space--the final frontier" opening, and with the music: a slightly more upbeat version of the theme to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, which was the one thing about that movie that almost everybody loved. They reassured us also that they were going to be as forward-looking as Star Trek was in the 60s by giving us state of the art visuals, and quality of design. Not to mention the "where no one has gone before."

It's been pretty much forgotten now, but at the time people were getting tired of the original series in syndication, and talking about how dated it looked. So it was important for TNG to move forward, and yet... That sense that it was still Star Trek was partly why several of the first season stories (notably the second, "The Naked Now") were similar to the original series, or even close copies. "Updating" Star Trek was part of what people wanted.

The Farpoint story was reassuringly Trek--and as the authors of Deep Space and Sacred Time pointed out, all the pilot or opening episodes of Trek series' had to do with humans meeting a more powerful civilization, and distinguishing themselves in some way. Yet this story also advanced the Star Trek mythology and gave a clearer sense of its purpose. And a few episodes later, with "Where No One Has Gone Before," what would be the unique Next Generation character started to emerge.

And of course the most obvious and potent link to the original series happened close to midway through "Farpoint" in a very brief scene that still has the power to give you chills: Doctor McCoy meets Data. McCoy's lines weren't all that great, but Dee Kelley's delivery was perfect..."She's a good ship, and she's got the right name. You remember that, boy. You treat her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home." The music came in at just the right moment, and Star Trek was reborn.

#4 Elf

Elf

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 4,445 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:47 AM

TNG is the Star Trek series I grew up with. I enjoyed it back then and I still enjoy watching it now.
"Give me your boot." "What for?"
"So I can squash it." "Are we allowed to squash alien life forms?"
"If they're inside your sleeping bag. There it is. Wait a minute. Where'd you put the phase pistols?"
"You wanna shoot a bug?"
"I'm just gonna stun it."- Tucker and Mayweather

#5 Melvin

Melvin

Eternal Pretend Dollar Debtor

• Members
  • 11,581 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:52 PM

Nothing in this life could probably define me more than Star Trek. It has become as much a part of my life as breathing, and it all started with TNG. I remember when, where, what my first episode was (too young for Encounter at Farpoint), and a lot more wonderful things. TNG was the series for me, everything else came second and never came close to being the same. Here's to many hours lost staring at the boob tube, and how it eventually become important.
My music fights against the system that teaches to live and die. -Bob Marley
The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel. -Horace Walpole
Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. -Bob Dylan
Everyone dies but not everyone lives. -A. Sachs
This is the way the world ends / Not with a bang, but with a whimper -T.S. Eliot
The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I? Light up the darkness. -Bob Marley

A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

#6 JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie

Commodore

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 11:33 AM

Happy Birthday to TNG!

Posted Image

#7 ensign edwards

ensign edwards

Player of all things Warcraft

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 14,686 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:51 AM

Nothing in this life could probably define me more than Star Trek. It has become as much a part of my life as breathing, and it all started with TNG. I remember when, where, what my first episode was (too young for Encounter at Farpoint), and a lot more wonderful things. TNG was the series for me, everything else came second and never came close to being the same. Here's to many hours lost staring at the boob tube, and how it eventually become important.

My situation is similar. TNG was the first Star Trek I ever knew and everything gets compared to it. Although I understand that TOS came first to me TNG is the original Star Trek because that's what I grew up with and what I know. I still have the Enterprise D and tricorder toys I played with when I played with when I was young. It will always be a part of my life.

#8 Lynx6776

Lynx6776

Lieutenant, J.G.

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:50 AM

Well, I might be a little late for this but I would still like to contribute with a late anniversary greeting for this fantastic series.

Because the 20th anniversary of TNG is really worth to celebrate.

I mean, it was TNG which brought Star Trek back to life and made it the phenomenon it is today. No offense to TOS which started it all and was a brilliant series but TNG really took Star Trek to a higher level.

I re-watched "Encounter At Farpoint" on the 24th September (the "official" Anniversary day) and it struck me how brilliant it is, even if it's not the best TNG episode and not the best Star Trek pilot episode either (that honor goes to Voyager's "Caretaker").

I remember when I first watched "Encounter At Farpoint". It was back in 1993 when my local station had begun to air it (I'm living in Europe).

I had seen a few TOS episodes before that and my first impression of TNG was a little dissapointment actually. The episode was OK, but not as good as I had expected. It was a sort of "is that all there is" if you understand what I mean.

I remember watching some more episodes in the beginning with the same feeling. For some reason, I'd expected more of TNG then.

But slowly the series started to grow on me. I started to like the characters and everything involved. Picard became an immediate favorite and the other characters followed. I could actually stand Wesley, I never understood the hatred aimed at him. And I really liked Q, I still do!

I was dissapointed when Tasha was killed off. I thought she was a good character and I was even more dissapointed when Dr.Crusher left. I didn't really like Pulaski then (I have reevaluated the character a bit recently, she wasn't that bad) and therefore I was pleased when Crusher returned later on.

So I did stay on with TNG, becoming more "addicted" and liking the series more and more for each episode.

But I must state that it was in season 3 and onwards TNG became brilliant and became the real masterpiece it still is.

I mean, look at what we have. Seven seasons of excellent episodes to watch!

OK, there have been some bums here and there. But most of the episodes are so incredible good. There are some that I can watch over and over again, still getting the same feeling as when I watched them the first time and at the same time finding small details which I may have missed before.

There are also episodes which I watched a long time ago and didn't think were that good and when I re-watch them it's like "Hey, that wasn't that bad. This episode is actually a good one too!"

As for episodes I like, well there are so many of them. But "The Best Of Both Worlds" must be mentioned here, in those days (before Hugh and The Borg Queen) the Borg were really a good, scaring enemy. I also like episodes like "Hide And Q", "The Vengeance Factor", "The High Ground", "First Contact" (with it's "reversed close encounter" plot), "Darmok", "Ensign Ro", "Conundrum" (I actually liked MacDuff and have played with the idea of having him as captain for a ship in some fanfiction story), "Unification", "The First Duty", "The Inner Light", "Man Of The People", "Chain Of Command", "Tapestry", "Starship Mine", "Gambit", "The Pegasus" and "Preemptive Strike".

But there are others as well!

My final statement is: TNG is a masterpiece!

So this anniversary is really something to celebrate.

Happy Anniversary TNG! Live long and prosper!

#9 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:33 AM

I like that trailer! TNG is my favorite Star Trek series.

#10 jonathan

jonathan

Lieutenant Commander

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

Happy Birthday to TNG!!! its been 20 good years!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users