NCAA College Football 2007

66 replies to this topic

#61 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

Yeah but how much is Hawaii at fault for their schedule? It's my understanding they they can choose certain games but how much is their doing?

They have a select number of out-of-conference games, but the bulk of the season is conerence play. I think they have a 12-game schedule, of which two or three are OOC. That leaves nine or ten in-conference. So if they're in a weak conference, there isn't much they can do about that.

Now the same can be said for Ohio State, right? No. They play four, that's right, four out-of-conference games. Now, with 11 teams in the Big Ten, I think it makes sense for the Big Ten to have two out-of-conference games and 10 in-conference (one against each opponent in the conference). I mean, that makes sense, right? So why do they play these weak OOC games against teams like Akron, App State, and Youngstown State? Because they're willing to pony up the money to play the Big Ten in hopes of an upset. Appalachian State paid off this year - look at how much coverage they've had in the media for knocking off Michigan. I'll bet ticket sales went up after that, and they'll schedule I-A teams next year in hopes of an upset; ticket sales will be up next year, and so might recruiting and even the number of students.

I think that one reason why there is so much chaos is because the chaos is allowed to reign. Each conference sets their schedules, their championships, their bowls, etc. I think the NCAA needs to step in and set some guidelines - all teams play same number of games, same number of in-conference games, etc. Unfortunately, the NCAA is pretty much owned by the schools and conferences, and they're not going to let it happen.

Posted Image

#62 Hal

Hal

Asst. Groups Co-Ord - GEAUX TIGERS

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

Yeah but how much is Hawaii at fault for their schedule? It's my understanding they they can choose certain games but how much is their doing?

Sorry Cougar :( . WAC= Weak Athletic Conference
"But I firmly believe that in any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - VICTORIOUS." Vince Lombardi

Geaux Tigers!
WHO DAT TALKIN' 'BOUT BEATEN DEM SAINTS

#63 Captain_Hair

Captain_Hair

Master of all things, jack of none

• VIP
  • 50,337 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:04 AM

By the way, Hal... even though I may not be an Ohio State student anymore, it's time for the showdown. :flex:

Yeah, right. We'll see if OSU is all they've supposedly cracked up to be... should've been a lot better, rebuilding year or not. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

#64 Cougar

Cougar

fsfafsfdyryrhgf

• SaveEnterprise Alumni
  • 24,610 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:17 PM

That's like saying because the Pats are in a weak division, they shouldn't be #1 in the league.
Well maybe that analogy is a bit off but there are teams in most sports who do have weak divisions, yet are considered top teams.

Posted Image

"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
- Gen Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff

#65 Russell Crowe

Russell Crowe

• Members
  • 45,874 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:24 PM

That's like saying because the Pats are in a weak division, they shouldn't be #1 in the league.
Well maybe that analogy is a bit off but there are teams in most sports who do have weak divisions, yet are considered top teams.

The Pats have also beaten the Cowboys and the Colts this year. Hawaii played teams like Charleston Southern and Louisiana Tech. Not the same thing at all :P
Have you reckon'd a thousand acres much? have you reckon'd the
earth much? Have you practis'd so long to learn to read?
Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?
Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of
all poems...

#66 WeatherManNX01

WeatherManNX01

Sir Sexy - USA! USA! USA!

• Members
  • 26,110 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:30 PM

Like I said, that's really beyond their control. While I think LSU would have pounded them, I still would have liked to see Hawaii in the Championship.

By the way, Hal... even though I may not be an Ohio State student anymore, it's time for the showdown. :flex:

Yeah, right. We'll see if OSU is all they've supposedly cracked up to be... should've been a lot better, rebuilding year or not. :rolleyes:

OSU is going to get trampled into the turf. They're good, but they're not that good, and once again they end their season two weeks before the other conferences. LSU wins. :P

Posted Image

#67 Hal

Hal

Asst. Groups Co-Ord - GEAUX TIGERS

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:50 PM

Its strange Jane has been ao quiet. That's 2 in a row the Tigers beat the Vols. :lol:
"But I firmly believe that in any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - VICTORIOUS." Vince Lombardi

Geaux Tigers!
WHO DAT TALKIN' 'BOUT BEATEN DEM SAINTS

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users