Landru: Prototype For The Borg?

12 replies to this topic

#1 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 04:48 AM

As I'm still cruising through the first season of TOS on DVD, I keep on seeing traces of things that were to come much later on.

Last night we watched Return of the Archons and I was really struck that the concept of an all-seeing collective mind prescided over by a computer is very similar to the "hive mind",and the fact that nobody attacked unless they were directly under threat is very Borg-like? Anyone agree?

Edited by JulesLuvsShinzon, 17 August 2007 - 04:48 AM.

Facebook Comments Below ( All comments made with your Facebook account are subject to moderator discretion )

#2 Madame President

Madame President

Confused, as a general rule

• Members
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

I've thought that too. I love that freaking episode also. I want a bumper sticker that says "Landru: are you of the Body?" :lol:
"Only Nixon can go to China." -Vulcan Proverb

Landru: are you of the Body?

Proud to be a member of SANITY

#3 marty

marty

Commodore

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:39 PM

...you mean except for orgie time? Sort of. :D

#4 Madame President

Madame President

• Members
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:16 AM

...you mean except for orgie time? Sort of. :D

oh I forgot about that! that's like the most fantastic part of that episode.

#5 Maco Captain

Maco Captain

Commodore

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:35 PM

I never noticed that about Landru and the Borg before. I think you may be onto something. ;)

#6 lwallace2

lwallace2

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:03 PM

yeah i happened to catch that episode on tv a few months ago and was thinking the same thing about similarities with the Borg. well, there's rarely anything like a truly original idea anymore... or at least, "Original" ideas are for the young (who haven't seen the REAL original stuff yet...). :lol:

#7 Nickolov

Nickolov

Fleet Admiral

• Members
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:56 AM

I thought the same thing about the Borg and Landru when I saw this episode. :)
Great episode, by the way.

Macedonian National Coordinator @ TFU

Posted Image

MakTrek blog | Crapwerk blog

#8 Shlomi of Vulcan

Shlomi of Vulcan

Resident Vulcan Old-Fogey

• Members
  • 9,305 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

Landru as a Borg prototype - hmmmm interesting concept. According one of Shat's Trek novels, V'ger was the prototype for the Borg after it became one with its creator (Commander Will Decker). Spock came to realize that before this mingling of man with machine took place, all the Borg were machines from the Machine Planet seeking perfection, which they then believed could be attained through assimilation after touching the soul of Decker - the very thing any machine lacks. Over the next century their quest became a perverted obession so that by the TNG era, they were an evil force to be reckoned with and one that had lost its true identity and purpose.
"Having problems with the present? Find solace in the fact that some future generations will call these "the good ole' days." Shmu'el Ben Shalom

"If I wanted to argue about which imaginary friend is tougher, I'd just go to church" Jason of KC

Politically Incorrectile Dysfunction

#9 JulesLuvsShinzon

JulesLuvsShinzon

Pick Your Own Title

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:48 AM

^^^That's interesting, although with V'ger, it was the fusing of a single machine with a single (human) mind, and I saw V'ger as essentially benign. For me, it's too huge a leap from that to an entire race of creatures agressively seeking to assimilate entire cultures. The Landru "Body" seems much closer to the Borg hive mind. :)

Edited by JulesLuvsShinzon, 24 August 2007 - 01:48 AM.

#10 Madame President

Madame President

• Members
  • 5,856 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:19 AM

yeah an v'ger came from that stupid Nomad probe, aka, most idiotic episode ever. :lol: excuse me mr. spock, since when can you mind meld with the most pointless good for nothing machine of my life?

#11 marty

marty

Commodore

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:22 PM

Hey, it made sparklers. pretty.

#12 Commander Lazar

Commander Lazar

Vice Admiral

• Members
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

As I'm still cruising through the first season of TOS on DVD, I keep on seeing traces of things that were to come much later on.

Last night we watched Return of the Archons and I was really struck that the concept of an all-seeing collective mind prescided over by a computer is very similar to the "hive mind",and the fact that nobody attacked unless they were directly under threat is very Borg-like? Anyone agree?

I do. So Landru is like the Borg queen.

#13 maneth

maneth

GBBS Moderator

• Members
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

I don't really agree. I felt There are certainly similarities but it wasn't the only time Kirk killed a master computer that controlled the bodies if not the minds of people.

Another take on the concept is the Binars/Binyaari in TNG. Always come in twos with direct links to their computer core, and rebooting that makes them all unconscious. They're almost as dependent on their computer as Borg drones are on their implants.

Posted Image
Live long and prosper

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users